Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Stevosevic

Mahrez - Arsenal

boweigo - Do you fall asleep tonight with your Napoleon Hill books by your side and wanking to your dreams of capitalism.

You big clubs keeping us small clubs below our glass ceiling, us small clubs are only there to get players you can sign off us for more money blah blah. Maybe Vardy values things other than "endorsement money", maybe he thinks that there are much more important things and life and that he hasn't "lost" by turning down more endorsement money for a couple of years of his life.

You sound like Ronald ****ing Reagan

We needed to give him a massive pay rise on top of the contract he signed in January to stop him signing for Arsenal. He's not exactly Robin Hood.

Currently 1/1 to stay.. very tempting especially as barca appears to have denied interest.. just wonder if should hold out a bit longer for odds to drop

I believe the euro players rejoin the team today according to an interview with fuchs.. so the band of brothers should be reunited now.. (bar one)

Currently 1/1 to stay.. very tempting especially as barca appears to have denied interest.. just wonder if should hold out a bit longer for odds to drop

I believe the euro players rejoin the team today according to an interview with fuchs.. so the band of brothers should be reunited now.. (bar one)

I think kingy has a bit longer as he was there till the semis

Also, vards had his wrist op so not sure when he's back with the team.

Evens to stay - fatbloke will soon be posting from the Bahamas.

Think i'll hold out a bit longer as think odds will still get better - his contract negs will take a while and the arsenal/chelsea rumours are only just hotting up.

plus i'd like to see some happy post-kante training photos first  :D

I have come under fire by some because of my discussion of the financial implications associated with players staying or leaving. How many people here would be willing to give up three million per year from their salary if it meant Leicester would be champions for 5 years in a row?  I also did refer to fans as customers/consumers for good reason. I  emphasized the business aspect of the sport which some here seem to disregard. Leicester like all Premiership teams sees fans as customers. They sell their season tickets; they don't give it away for free to fans. They sell merchandise to fans. They sell programs to fans. They don't give you beer and food for free, you pay for it. The fan does enjoy a good atmosphere, especially when your teams wins but make no mistake; you are paying for that experience.  You may prefer not to see yourself as a customer but that is what you are in the final analysis to the teams. So if the teams are charging the fans money thru ticket sales, television right sales and imagine sales, why shouldn't players try to the max for their services from the teams?  Yes, I also don't live in the UK and do pay my cable bill so I am a customer. I visit London every 2 years or so and always try to make it to the Emirates for a game. A real fan does not have to reside in the country to support a team in that country.

Yep, just as we thought. Doesn't really get it does he or she?

If you refer to supporters or fans as customers, you don't really get football. It's not about money or business, it's about feeling and passion. I don't support a club because of money or business. I don't view it like that. A owner of a club might but if they don't understand that there's an emotion attached to following your football team, then they won't succeed at the club. If football was such a sole business and business only, it wouldn't be full of rash financial decisions.

When we won the league, I didn't think 'thats good for business'. I thought about achieving something I never even dreamt of as a kid.

When we made the CL, I didn't think 'great, let's make some money' I thought about watching my team abroad competitively.

To preach to a set of fans football is just a business. You don't get what football means to people.

Your final line seems to suggest you have more than one club..... I don't expect anything less off a Rupert from the Emirates. The only audible noise is a moan

I have come under fire by some because of my discussion of the financial implications associated with players staying or leaving. How many people here would be willing to give up three million per year from their salary if it meant Leicester would be champions for 5 years in a row? I also did refer to fans as customers/consumers for good reason. I emphasized the business aspect of the sport which some here seem to disregard. Leicester like all Premiership teams sees fans as customers. They sell their season tickets; they don't give it away for free to fans. They sell merchandise to fans. They sell programs to fans. They don't give you beer and food for free, you pay for it. The fan does enjoy a good atmosphere, especially when your teams wins but make no mistake; you are paying for that experience. You may prefer not to see yourself as a customer but that is what you are in the final analysis to the teams. So if the teams are charging the fans money thru ticket sales, television right sales and imagine sales, why shouldn't players try to the max for their services from the teams? Yes, I also don't live in the UK and do pay my cable bill so I am a customer. I visit London every 2 years or so and always try to make it to the Emirates for a game. A real fan does not have to reside in the country to support a team in that country.

No, but a real supporter does.

Money isn't the be-all and end-all; and suggesting players should aim for a slightly more obscene wage than they're already getting because you have to a pay for a pint is spurious reasoning at best.

On your original claim: Vardy isn't losing anything more than a couple of quid by staying - he's getting regular football, a key member of a brilliant squad, a regular in england squads and about to challenge himself at the highest level of club football; He's not going to miss out on anything from a footballing perspective by not moving to Arsenal, this summer at least. His position in the England squad is reasonably secure here, and he's got CL football here for next year - not being an Arsenal player doesn't lose him that. Substitute England for Algeria and you've got Mahrez as well.

I have come under fire by some because of my discussion of the financial implications associated with players staying or leaving. How many people here would be willing to give up three million per year from their salary if it meant Leicester would be champions for 5 years in a row?  I also did refer to fans as customers/consumers for good reason. I  emphasized the business aspect of the sport which some here seem to disregard. Leicester like all Premiership teams sees fans as customers. They sell their season tickets; they don't give it away for free to fans. They sell merchandise to fans. They sell programs to fans. They don't give you beer and food for free, you pay for it. The fan does enjoy a good atmosphere, especially when your teams wins but make no mistake; you are paying for that experience.  You may prefer not to see yourself as a customer but that is what you are in the final analysis to the teams. So if the teams are charging the fans money thru ticket sales, television right sales and imagine sales, why shouldn't players try to the max for their services from the teams?  Yes, I also don't live in the UK and do pay my cable bill so I am a customer. I visit London every 2 years or so and always try to make it to the Emirates for a game. A real fan does not have to reside in the country to support a team in that country.

Actually they do sometimes.  :D

Arsenal fan here in peace. I figured Leicester would have problems holding onto your top 3 players when the season ended despite entry into the champion league as a number one seed. Vardy however surprised me with his u turn after reaching an agreement with Arsenal. He was the one player of the 3 who has the most to lose. It is my assumption that he had a release clause inserted into his contract in the event he wanted to leave. It was activated but he decided to stay after City made an improved offer within 25 thousand pounds per week of the Arsenal offer. I again assume that he felt that his loyalty to City and his comfort zone were worth losing 25k/week. He however is going to lose more than that. He is 29 years old and this was his last big contract. He would have been a much higher profile player at Arsenal which would have meant more endorsement money. In addition, he would eventually end up playing in the champion league every year and a spot on the England squad would have been easier to secure. This decision will end up costing him at least 10-15 million pounds over the next 5 years. Now before I get attacked here, please realize that I have just pointed out why Kante left and why Mahrez will also eventually leave. Leicester is a victim of her own success. Big clubs find it easier to cherry pick from smaller clubs instead of developing their own players. Like a few members of this forum posted, South Hampton loses key players every year but they are still in the ascension. They just keep going back to the well. City will have to do the same. Arsenal also went through something similar a few years ago when all of our top players were picked off by the Manchester clubs as their contracts ran down. You really can't blame the players, this is their job and the life span is short. This is why Vardy's decision surprised me. I would be very interested to find out his mindset if Mahrez also decides to leave this year

I'm not going to attack that post but I am going to sit there and think to myself that I hope I never get into a position where that's the angle I view football from.

Me too....Maybe I'm over cynical, ( if so then half a century of listening to deluded followers of so-called 'big' clubs has left me so tarnished)! Being ManU/Arse/Chelsea/Pool, (in days past), doesn't give you a divine right to expect everything to go 'your' way just because you wish it to.

Vardy made his own decision, based on his own judgement.....Reading the original post, this AFC fan seems to be suggesting that it shouldn't have been the players' decision....Very odd !

They're exactly the kind of fan that pollutes football nowadays. They are the types who not only failed to condemn what a mess football has turned into, but they actually lap it up. They are why so many Premier League grounds have turned so soulless.

Archived