Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
foxes_rule1978

Deeney bid rejected - Signs new contract with Watford

A lot of comments on here about how many goals of his were penalties. Okay, he had a few, but his overall contribution really overshadows this in the eyes of many a Watford fan, and as captain, I'm sure you understand his work rate, and the fact that he does so much tracking-back and deputising for the odd errant right-back who has bombed forward. He has the determination of very few players you will have seen before.

A lot of comments on here about how many goals of his were penalties. Okay, he had a few, but his overall contribution really overshadows this in the eyes of many a Watford fan, and as captain, I'm sure you understand his work rate, and the fact that he does so much tracking-back and deputising for the odd errant right-back who has bombed forward. He has the determination of very few players you will have seen before.

Exactly this. Okazaki is hardly prolific but his work rate is top draw, imagine someone playing that role who can actually pass, stay on his feet and has strength.

And this is why making hostile bids to PL clubs for their players is awful value. 

I rate Deeney and he would certainly improve our side but if we don't get value we at least want parity. £30m is ridiculous for a player like Deeney who will be 28 next week.

Outside the big 5 leagues £30m just about buys you any player in the world outside a dozen or so, surely there is better value to be had somewhere else for what is a good solid PL player and not an outstanding one. I'd have Deeney for sure but not at this price.

Barcelona paid £26m for Arda Turan from a direct rival, and he's a Turkish international with 93 caps. They also bought Rakitic for £13m and he's a top Croatian international.

English players are way overpriced. We've got enough home grown players in the squad to not worry about that so I prefer we went abroad. Our spine of the team are home grown.

"Premier League proven" is also a false narrative. Some of the best players last season were unproven in the PL (Kante, Payet, Martial etc.)

I see that Loic Remy is being touted at £7m to Turkish club football, maybe we should be taking another look ?

Him and Deeney, the pair would certainly add.

Remy was an OK option when we were desperate to strengthen in Jan. Wouldn't take him now though, he practically lives in an ambulance. Deeney is better as well.

Big differences. Out team was nowhere near as good then and as it is now and we clearly can afford it now and then we were in nothing like the financial position we find ourselves in today.

We were rich before we won the league.!!!

What do you want to do stay where we with no ambition and wait for the next title to come in another 100+ years or really go for it and be up there every years with the big boy's competing for trophies?

Stick or twist???

Its not a lack of ambition but there has to be some sensibility as well. If you're throwing 30m at Deeney that means the price of every other player we are in for has just gone up a significant amount.

If and big if we fall flat on our faces with the way things are going we'll be stuck with unsaleable assets (No-one else will play close to 30m for Deeney) and our saleable ones seem to all be available for 10m less with these rumored clauses.

There has to be a middle ground.

When you look at the combined goals and assists table, he's up there with some big names. There aren't many people on this list that you'd get for less than £30m.

I'm not saying he's worth that, it's definitely OTT. But would we be so touchy about paying it for any of the others? He had a big impact last season for Watford with Ighalo. That in a team which by all accounts on the Watford forum, stopped attacking for a large chunk of the season and had little creativity from midfield.

If we kept Vardy and Mahrez and played Deeney... we could have three people in the top 10 assists and goals list. You'd cause all sorts of problems for people.

attachicon.gifScreen Shot 2016-06-21 at 11.10.11.png

Most of the others on that list are established internationals and star players for their clubs and bar Vardy and Mahrez has been performing at a very high level for a while.

Deeney however can't get anywhere near the weakest England squad in years. Now i'm not saying he's a bad player but he is nowhere near a 30m player in the slightest and that money could be used throughout other areas of the squad (I.e. chuck it all at Kante and hope he stays).

I mean for £30m to be worth it surely he's got to either get 25 goals next season or his worth to the team has got to be so big that he fires us to the title again regardless of whether we lose Vardy.

Considering we almost certainly won't make a profit on him we've got the be getting a return on this investment in a football sense. I just can't see it.

I just can't comprehend troy bloody deeney costing almost as much as our stadium.

Ludicrous.

He'll score more goals than the stadium ...    but then again the stadium will hold more people inside it ...    but then again he has got a very big head.

Its not a lack of ambition but there has to be some sensibility as well. If you're throwing 30m at Deeney that means the price of every other player we are in for has just gone up a significant amount.

If and big if we fall flat on our faces with the way things are going we'll be stuck with unsaleable assets (No-one else will play close to 30m for Deeney) and our saleable ones seem to all be available for 10m less with these rumored clauses.

There has to be a middle ground.

Most of the others on that list are established internationals and star players for their clubs and bar Vardy and Mahrez has been performing at a very high level for a while.

Deeney however can't get anywhere near the weakest England squad in years. Now i'm not saying he's a bad player but he is nowhere near a 30m player in the slightest and that money could be used throughout other areas of the squad (I.e. chuck it all at Kante and hope he stays).

Of course he can't get in the England squad!!.. He doesn't play for one of the so called glamour clubs!

Doesn't mean he's not good enough to play though does it?

Just look at the shambles who are out there!

What's that got to do with anything? I'm showing that his stats are up there will a decent group of players.

I've not said he is worth £30m, I said it was OTT.

What we've done is something that other clubs have been searchinng for for years. Man Utd found it under Ferguson all those years ago.

That something is the perfect formula for success. Owners, backroom staff, management, playing staff.

Now that we've found that formula, all we need to do, is enhance and repeat. The cost is meaningless because of the wealth of the owners and the tv and prize money we'll now get.

Deeney enhances the formula so £30m buys you that enhancement.

We need to stop looking at the name of a player, rather the skill set he brings.

Deeney is Okazaki but with greater physical attributes. Its as simple as that. Just as Keane is a younger Morgan and Dunk is a younger Huth.

The formula stays the same, you just look for the same skills to match the formula and hopefully enhance them with additional attributes or a younger age.

All this talk of £30m being too much for Deeney is now irrelevant. He upgrades the team. Case closed.

Let Arsenal or whoever buy someone else for £10m that people would see as better business. They'll still ultimately fail as their overall model is wrong whereas ours is right.

We'll win something else next year and this talk of overspending will be long forgotten.

What we've done is something that other clubs have been searchinng for for years. Man Utd found it under Ferguson all those years ago.

That something is the perfect formula for success. Owners, backroom staff, management, playing staff.

Now that we've found that formula, all we need to do, is enhance and repeat. The cost is meaningless because of the wealth of the owners and the tv and prize money we'll now get.

We need to stop looking at the name of a player, rather the skill set he brings.

Deeney is Okazaki but with greater physical attributes. Its as simple as that. Just as Keane is a younger Morgan and Dunk is a younger Huth.

The formula stays the same, you just look for the same skills to match the formula and hopefully enhance them with additional attributes or a younger age.

All this talk of £30m being too much for Deeney is now irrelevant. He upgrades the team. Case closed.

Let Arsenal or whoever buy someone else for £10m that people would see as better business. They'll still ultimately fail as their overall model is wrong whereas ours is right.

We'll win something else next year and this talk of overspending will be long forgotten.

Realest talk on the thread.

I will admit to being a bit concerned.

You have to trust the guys who have signed Mahrez, Kante etc but this (in a way) reminds me of the Ade Akinbiyi saga, although I'm not putting the two players into the same category in anyway.

Blind determination to get their man and end up paying a price which bears little resemblance to what you could get elsewhere for the same money. Deeney is obviously a good player, and works his socks off without fail, but he surely can't be worth £30 million.

I'm not disrespecting Deeney or Watford, far from it, but £30 million??? Surely its too much

Get back to your scouting Walshy !

What's that got to do with anything? I'm showing that his stats are up there will a decent group of players.

I've not said he is worth £30m, I said it was OTT.

I know and I was further highlighting he isn't worth 30m. The other players being internationals and consistent performers at a very high level (Premier League Winners, World cup winners/runners up etc) and are probably worth 30m+ that's what I'm getting at.

Deeney has had good season but its only one season our own one season wonder is valued at 10m less (Regardless of clauses its still 10m less).

30 million should buy consistency, not one season wonders - I might look stupid in a year but oh well.

Watford must be rubbing their hands together knowing we are absolutely desperate and completely senseless.

I know and I was further highlighting he isn't worth 30m. The other players being internationals and consistent performers at a very high level (Premier League Winners, World cup winners/runners up etc) and are probably worth 30m+ that's what I'm getting at.

Deeney has had good season but its only one season our own one season wonder is valued at 10m less (Regardless of clauses its still 10m less).

30 million should buy consistency, not one season wonders - I might look stupid in a year but oh well.

Watford must be rubbing their hands together knowing we are absolutely desperate and completely senseless.

Perhaps you could list the internationals and consistent performers at a very high level (Premier League Winners, World cup winners/runners up etc) that you would like us to buy, would come to us and cost $30M or less?

If he comes here Watford will be wondering how they're going to fill a big Deeney shaped hole. He is pivotal to them.

We're actually quite keen on keeping our captain.

Archived