Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
TiffToff88

Rome: Total War on Windows 10

I came across my old Rome disc at the weekend and decided to load it onto my laptop (As stated in the title, on windows 10) but it won't work, presumably because it needs an older operating system. I even tried running it in compatibility mode, to no avail.

Has anyone experienced similar problems, either with Rome or any other games? and is there a way around this?

I'd also say just buy it off steam for 4 quid. I had to do the same thing when I couldn't get my boxed copy of Fallout 2 to work about a year ago and ended up just buying it on GOG for a few quid.

You could also see if this is useful

https://forums.totalwar.com/discussion/160589/issues-when-trying-to-launch-rome-total-war-on-windows-10-workaround-provided

It seems the issue is to do with the screen resolution defaulting to one that is no longer supported on widows. You have to edit some config files to get it to run at the correct resolution.

The easier option seems to be just to splash out the £4-5 on steam to buy the updated compatible version. Less hassle, no disc.

But i will give your suggestions a try tonight

That's what I did. :) played it last night hehe

Got a new laptop this week - partly because massive games of CIV 5 were overheating the old one. 

Can't get CIV 5 (through steam) to start on this (directX 12) even though I've followed many of the suggestions from steam.

what OS are you using? what specs are you laptop?      (window key+R  type "dxdiag" in the box)

Windows 10 family 

ACER Aspire E5-573G

intel i5 5200u 2.20ghz

4mb ram

Directx 12

Thanks for taking the time.

does it have the nvidia 920M GPU? without a dedicated GPU you wont run Civ.

otherwise try running in direct X 9. if it starts up, quit and update your video card drivers http://www.nvidia.co.uk/Download/index.aspx?lang=en-uk

yeah it has nvidia 920M.

I get the box to choose which windows start up. I've tried all 3 many times but it goes no further. I updated the video card drivers yesterday without any change. I'll try again now though. 

Thanks for your help.

Archived