Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

If you had an idea for an app...

Depends if you want to get it done by a small group of people or a company, prices may vary and shares will probably come into effect.

Private developers are a good way to go if you don't want your app under a company name.

Have to be very careful in the way you approach companies with your idea. Without the relevant protection they could simply turn your idea down and then steal it and publish it themselves if it's a good enough idea.

how would you set about getting it made?

1. Find a (trusted) lad who knows programming and either agree a fee or a percent of sales money & make something resembling a contract. Alternatively just learn it yourself (books, internet). I was told it takes about half a year to learn a bit of coding needed to make apps but I reckon it can go faster if you're a quick learner and have more time to spare etc 2. Find a lad who can do art  3. Same goes for music but there's royalty free music that you could buy.

I would also advise to lend/buy one or two books on game design that have anything in them on making apps and actually read them

The most important thing is just start doing it. Even if your 1st project wont be finished you'll learn quite a lot making it

I'd be inclined to agree with MrSpaM and don't approach any companies. They probably wouldnt listen anyway (unless you have a portfolio of apps/games made already). No worries though. Even if you're broke, having the internet connection is all you really need to do games in this time and age

I considered creating my own Toaster app a while ago. The idea would be you take a picture of the bread, and then the app works out the prime toasting time for that slice. very convenient. I was going to call it ToastMe. I know basic programming but getting it to analyse each individual slices of bread would have been difficult. If anyone understands advanced programming please get in touch as I think this app could still take off. I was going to sell it as £1.99 only on Android as Apple have given me nothing but problems ever since I visited their store in 2012. All these spam emails etc. After ToastMe takes off we could design a ToastMe Pro in which you could send toast pictures to your friends and compare them with each other.. The Pro version would cost £2.49. 

I considered creating my own Toaster app a while ago. The idea would be you take a picture of the bread, and then the app works out the prime toasting time for that slice. very convenient. I was going to call it ToastMe. I know basic programming but getting it to analyse each individual slices of bread would have been difficult. If anyone understands advanced programming please get in touch as I think this app could still take off. I was going to sell it as £1.99 only on Android as Apple have given me nothing but problems ever since I visited their store in 2012. All these spam emails etc. After ToastMe takes off we could design a ToastMe Pro in which you could send toast pictures to your friends and compare them with each other.. The Pro version would cost £2.49.

lol

AyRoJ.jpg

Cheers for all the advice everybody.

One thing I've looked into without any success, is hiring universities for app development. I know they can be quite good for small scale research, testing and manufacturing for start up businesses, but doesn't seem to be the case in the tech industry.

I'll see if I can at least get a non-functioning mock up made so I have something visual to show if I ever get to present the concept to developers.

Cheers for all the advice everybody.

One thing I've looked into without any success, is hiring universities for app development. I know they can be quite good for small scale research, testing and manufacturing for start up businesses, but doesn't seem to be the case in the tech industry.

I'll see if I can at least get a non-functioning mock up made so I have something visual to show if I ever get to present the concept to developers.

Don't steal ToastMe.

• 2 weeks later...

I have discovered a similar food based app, its all about mincing your meat. you have to sign up for an account and you can meet up with similar like minded meat grinders to discuss your mincing and grinding techniques. i'ts called it Grindr. I'm meeting up with some guy called "BigSausage" tonight

Archived