Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Bluefoxtim

Houses

Not sure this is the right thread but I'm at my wits end, any advice appreciated. 

Bottom of the street there's a house alarm that has been going off for hours at a time, multiple times a day for og34 a week now, knocked on the door and can see the absolute tosser sitting there on his phone through the window, doesn't answer his door. Ring the council, they're about as much use as Boris Johnson himself. It's waking my kids up, stopping me sleeping. If hypothetically someone on my street, or maybe even an adjacent street, could be anyone, owned a sledgehammer and a big set of ladders and was to absolutely obliterate the alarm, what would the potential consequences be if this completely random person was found to have committed this act? 

1 hour ago, Steve_Guppy_Left_Foot said:

Not sure this is the right thread but I'm at my wits end, any advice appreciated. 

Bottom of the street there's a house alarm that has been going off for hours at a time, multiple times a day for og34 a week now, knocked on the door and can see the absolute tosser sitting there on his phone through the window, doesn't answer his door. Ring the council, they're about as much use as Boris Johnson himself. It's waking my kids up, stopping me sleeping. If hypothetically someone on my street, or maybe even an adjacent street, could be anyone, owned a sledgehammer and a big set of ladders and was to absolutely obliterate the alarm, what would the potential consequences be if this completely random person was found to have committed this act? 

Drill a hole in the side of the bell box and fill it with expanding foam.

Thats what the crims do.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Steve_Guppy_Left_Foot said:

If the neighbours around said location, then said destroyer, might get knighted. 

5 hours ago, Steve_Guppy_Left_Foot said:

Are you sure the occupant is alive? 

I'd badger the council and the police. Suggest  that the occupant is not responding, alarm is going off and you're 'concerned'.

Failing that, sledgehammer it! 

Well after a couple of weeks on from selling our house, we are thinking of giving up the search for a new one. Nothing has come up we like and when it does it goes quicker than we can react to seeing it. New builds are well over priced, I mean New Lubbersthorpe David Wilson had a 4 bed without a garage for £378k! Why would you pay that much for a 4 bed and not have a garage. Madness! Redrow are expensive. It’s proving rather frustrating to be honest. One house came on the market hour later rang for a viewing - already sold!!!

Edited by fox_favourite

5 minutes ago, fox_favourite said:

Well after a couple of weeks of selling our house, we are thinking of giving up the search for a new one. Nothing has come up we like and when it does it goes quicker than we can react to seeing it. New builds are well over priced, I mean New Lubbersthorpe David Wilson had a 4 bed without a garage for £378k! Why would you pay that much for a 4 bed and not have a garage. Madness! Redrow are expensive. It’s proving rather frustrating to be honest. One house came on the market hour later rang for a viewing - already sold!!!

I assume you've cosied up to all the local agents and told them to give you a heads up of any new listings. Ideally you'd want to know about them before they go live.

Obviously that's what happened with the one that went in an hour. 

On 27/01/2022 at 13:23, Tommy G said:

Unless you are in your ''forever home'' house prices going up is bad news 

23 hours ago, South Shire Fox said:

Exactly, dont know why some people are so excited. That extra 50k their house is suddenly worth will be added to the value of the next house they're buying. 😂 

Without a doubt, but I'm just happy I'm on the gravy train now, rather than living at home, needing to find another 10k in 6 or so months because the prices have gone up.

36 minutes ago, Milo said:

I assume you've cosied up to all the local agents and told them to give you a heads up of any new listings. Ideally you'd want to know about them before they go live.

Obviously that's what happened with the one that went in an hour. 

Yup. Loughborough, Rothley, Syston, Wigston, Birstall and a whole sort of random estates agents we’re all signed up for. On Facebook pages etc…

We’re both teachers so viewing times are limited on when we can go. I was told that the one that went in an hour, the person didn’t even view it!

Edited by fox_favourite

58 minutes ago, fox_favourite said:

Well after a couple of weeks on from selling our house, we are thinking of giving up the search for a new one. Nothing has come up we like and when it does it goes quicker than we can react to seeing it. New builds are well over priced, I mean New Lubbersthorpe David Wilson had a 4 bed without a garage for £378k! Why would you pay that much for a 4 bed and not have a garage. Madness! Redrow are expensive. It’s proving rather frustrating to be honest. One house came on the market hour later rang for a viewing - already sold!!!

It took us around 4 months of constantly viewing properties and putting in offers before we finally had an offer accepted on the place we are in now. It was stressful, but I am so glad we persisted. Make friends with Estate Agents so they tell you about places that are coming up, widen your search area slightly, check out some places which don't quite tick all the boxes - it will help you realise what really is important to you and the things that you can be that more flexible on. 

This house hunting malarkey is difficult isn't it?! 

Stamp duty is a fvcking bitch as well. Miss out on the relief because I have a flat. Missus is a first time buyer but as application for the house will be joint we don't qualify for the lower rate. 

Even so, prices are obscene for houses. 

23 minutes ago, StanSP said:

Stamp duty is a fvcking bitch as well. Miss out on the relief because I have a flat. Missus is a first time buyer but as application for the house will be joint we don't qualify for the lower rate. 

I can't see the house prices changing for the better either 

On 28/01/2022 at 17:18, fox_favourite said:

Yup. Loughborough, Rothley, Syston, Wigston, Birstall and a whole sort of random estates agents we’re all signed up for. On Facebook pages etc…

We’re both teachers so viewing times are limited on when we can go. I was told that the one that went in an hour, the person didn’t even view it!

Yeah, that's seems to be quite common at the moment. We've been keeping an eye on the market the last few years and everytime something of interest has come up I've contacted the agent within an hour and been told that the vendor has either accepted an offer or there's about 10 people viewing the property and been advised by the agent to cool my interest unless we're prepared to get involved in a bidding war.

It seemed odd as the majority of properties we were looking at were far from cheap by Leicestershire standards so after a couple of instances of this happening I asked the agent what was going off with the local market and they told me that they're seeing lots of interest from Londoners looking to migrate out of the capital to achieve better value for money especially as our particular area has a train station on the main line so they can continue to work down there. Apparently such buyer's have been saying to them that the extra commute isn't actually that much longer and that the added journey time is massively offset by what they can get for their money. 

Interestingly I noticed on a few occasions some of the houses that had been sold came back on to the market a few months later so presumably the sales had fallen through which didn't surprise me given the buyer had likely never seen the property in the flesh. In the end we decided we'd probably get better value by extending our existing property and have stepped away completely as it was all just a bit crazy. 

Edited by ian__marshall

9 hours ago, StanSP said:

8 hours ago, chapero82 said:

I can't see the house prices changing for the better either 

https://propertyindustryeye.com/uk-housing-market-activity-expected-to-see-significant-dip/

The property market is expected to cool but the property shortage is likely to continue and therefore inflate prices with it. 

• Like 1

I’m having a bit of bother from my lender regarding my mortgage application; they’re being a bit pedantic. I got statements of my savings printed off from the bank for proof of funds purposes going back 6 months, but because the statements only have one transaction in it (the annual interest being paid into the account) which was more than 6 months ago, I had to go even further back to capture anything. Apparently, the account “doesn’t seem to have much activity” so they want more than one transaction to show a growth of funds in the account; from my point of view surely the whole purpose of a savings account is to not be having a great deal of activity. Anyway, I go to the bank today to see if they can get statements going even further back to capture more than one transaction, however, it turns out the furthest the branch can go back is 15 months which still only captures the same one transaction; instead they’ve, had to get the statements on order which could take anywhere up to 3 weeks to come. I know it would be helpful if the bank could easily provide what I need but surely this is a little excessive from the lender considering I’ve given them exactly what they originally asked for?

Edited by Ian Nacho

3 hours ago, Ian Nacho said:

I’m having a bit of bother from my lender regarding my mortgage application; they’re being a bit pedantic. I got statements of my savings printed off from the bank for proof of funds purposes going back 6 months, but because the statements only have one transaction in it (the annual interest being paid into the account) which was more than 6 months ago, I had to go even further back to capture anything. Apparently, the account “doesn’t seem to have much activity” so they want more than one transaction to show a growth of funds in the account; from my point of view surely the whole purpose of a savings account is to not be having a great deal of activity. Anyway, I go to the bank today to see if they can get statements going even further back to capture more than one transaction, however, it turns out the furthest the branch can go back is 15 months which still only captures the same one transaction; instead they’ve, had to get the statements on order which could take anywhere up to 3 weeks to come. I know it would be helpful if the bank could easily provide what I need but surely this is a little excessive from the lender considering I’ve given them exactly what they originally asked for?

Are you sure this is what they are asking for? Proof of funds should just be a latest statement (e.g. if you are using £20,000 as a deposit from your savings, proof that those savings exist). The other thing they will want is last 3 months bank statements to show your cashflow. Might be worth speaking to them about it.

2 hours ago, Silebyfox_89 said:

Sold ours for 17k above asking, we received 10+ final offers in the end after 24 viewings. Crazy.

Like others have said we're looking for our family home which is proving hard to find.

Wow! 

Yup, we’re struggling as well after selling our house. Looking in the Charnwood area and there really isn’t anything. 

Edited by fox_favourite
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Ian Nacho said:

As others have said, sounds like it’s not proof of funds they are concerned with but maybe suspect the origin of the funds is actually a gift. If it is, just tell them as it doesn’t create any risk but you will just need to be able to say who gifted you the money and that they won’t live in the house/hold an interest.

13 hours ago, Ian Nacho said:

I'd definitely query exactly what they are requesting, as others have said, if it's proof of funds in a savings account, little activity is normal. The balance proving funds should be the key factor. It even seems odd they want those for 6 months. We just provided the latest statement to prove the balance. Fortunately - one of which would've had no activity other than the interest payment in 10 years! Your current account statements, showing regular spending, should obviously be more active and up to date.

The Bank of England have just increased the base rate, so expect mortgage rates to rise very soon.

4 hours ago, Nalis said:

Fvck all coming up around my way too.

The supposed 'slow down' appears to be more so on houses coming on the market as opposed to a slow down on house price rises.

Yup! Completely agree! Going to see a house I know is over priced, but we’re running out of options now. What house builders are asking is way too much as well. 

Edited by fox_favourite

I keep looking at potential 'forever' homes, out of curiosity rather than moving but likewise nothing takes my fancy either, not for the prices shown. I could extend my current property out the back for 20/25k and have a huge kitchen diner area, I'd probably add that and more to the house value as soon as it's built as well tbh.

1 minute ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

I keep looking at potential 'forever' homes, out of curiosity rather than moving but likewise nothing takes my fancy either, not for the prices shown. I could extend my current property out the back for 20/25k and have a huge kitchen diner area, I'd probably add that and more to the house value as soon as it's built as well tbh.

Extend for £20k?  Obviously depends on the size of the extension, but, that seems a little light!

You’re looking at £2k m2 for the basic floored and plastered shell and then pick a number if your adding kitchens etc.

1 minute ago, Wolfox said:

Extend for £20k?  Obviously depends on the size of the extension, but, that seems a little light!

You’re looking at £2k m2 for the basic floored and plastered shell and then pick a number if your adding kitchens etc.

Single storey 15m2 or so, so not massive by any means.

All the fitting and decorating would be done in house by family :sweating:

Even call it 30k, my stamp duty and moving costs would be about 10k on the new house alone.