Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Bluefoxtim

Houses

1 minute ago, Milo said:

We had a Vaillant installed last year. Had a few problems and wouldn’t really recommend. 

Oh, also, make sure the boiler you get has some kind of override option. 

Ours doesn’t, so will only work when there is a working wifi signal. (Didn’t check when we bought it, as I assumed nobody would be stupid enough to design such a system, so didn’t even know it was thing). 

We were without wifi for 3 days in Feb due to work in the road…so therefore we were without any heating. 

Surely that's a product not fit for purpose? 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Milo said:

We had a Vaillant installed last year. Had a few problems and wouldn’t really recommend. 

Ours doesn’t, so will only work when there is a working wifi signal. (Didn’t check when we bought it, as I assumed nobody would be stupid enough to design such a system, so didn’t even know it was thing). 

We were without wifi for 3 days in Feb due to work in the road…so therefore we were without any heating. 

A boiler that only works with WiFi is actually a thing? Not just the stat? 

56 minutes ago, Milo said:

I'm assuming we'd have the same issue now we've had a Hive thermostat thing installed.

42 minutes ago, FoxesDeb said:

A boiler that only works with WiFi is actually a thing? Not just the stat? 

Well technically it only communicates with the gateway…which in turn only communicates with the boiler when there is a signal. 

I’ve phoned Vaillant a number of times about it. But they’ve confirmed that there is no actual override switch on the boiler. 

58 minutes ago, jamesp26 said:

Surely that's a product not fit for purpose? 

Yep.

It’s ludicrous. 

It’s a bit like buying a brand spanking new tv and finding out it doesn’t come with a remote control. It’s such an obvious thing that you wouldn’t ask if it was included with the tv when you bought it. 

Everything on the boiler has to go through the app.
Which doesn’t work if the wifi is down. 

Anyway - hope this helps anyone else that’s looking to buy a new boiler. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Spudulike said:

I'm currently part way through having a single storey extension built and decided that it's time for a new boiler. Old one lasted 25 years but no doubt not as energy efficient as the modern models. Now the question is, what to go for. The plumber we are using has recommended an Ideal combi. Never had a combi before but seems the way to go. 

But what brand/model? Anyone with knowledge/experience or recommendations/advice? 

Cheers. 

2 hours ago, FoxesDeb said:

Worcester Bosch would be my choice

Bizarrely I have some direct insight into this having managed the BG boiler cover product for a while and seeing some data from actuaries…. I also chose a Worcester Bosch

if you’re looking at smart thermostats at the same time consider something like Drayton wiser or Tado that give individual control to your rads…. I have the wiser product and can flex the control of the heating really accurately across the whole house 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Wrighty22 said:

Any one have any solicitors they can recommend to help with a house purchase? 

Find one locally or at least nearby, that way any problems you can pop in. One bit of advice which I ignored which I regret, mine were about 60 miles away which meant they could easily ignore emails or phone calls.

• Thanks 1

Recently put in a bid on a property for which from the EA it sounds like we are the front runners due to us offering asking price and not having a chain. They are in the position for a quick sale too as they don’t have a chain. 
As the place is right at the ceiling of our budget every penny counts with this. 
I have a LISA and other separate accounts. Is it worth me putting as much money in the LISA now knowing that the bonus might not come through in time. (Although I’m not 100% sure how long in to the process the funds get paid). The bonus would be around £800 which is money that could be put towards decorating etc. anybody have any experience or done similar? 

1 hour ago, BeardyFox said:

Recently put in a bid on a property for which from the EA it sounds like we are the front runners due to us offering asking price and not having a chain. They are in the position for a quick sale too as they don’t have a chain. 
As the place is right at the ceiling of our budget every penny counts with this. 
I have a LISA and other separate accounts. Is it worth me putting as much money in the LISA now knowing that the bonus might not come through in time. (Although I’m not 100% sure how long in to the process the funds get paid). The bonus would be around £800 which is money that could be put towards decorating etc. anybody have any experience or done similar? 

When is your bonus paid? I bought using a LISA end of last year and whilst saving, any bonus due was paid at the end of every month. When i actually bought the home the money was taken out the account pretty close to exchange. My LISA went almost entirely on my deposit (plus a small amount towards legal fees).

On 30/05/2022 at 10:54, StanSP said:

Bit late response and not sure what's happened since you asked but we only got the estate agent to find someone for a small fee, and then we manage the rest. 

We are going for fully managed with rent guarantee, think it is 12%. Peace of mind for us as we want as little to do with it as possible. We then might asses again in 12 months time just don't want the hassle at the moment 

On 24/05/2022 at 12:18, Wolfox said:

It’s up to you, but, I really didn’t rate the estate agent I used…. I got far better tenants independently…. If there was an issue I’d end up resolving as they’d charge an arm and a leg for a tradesman to come out…

I use Openrent…. Steps you through the whole process of renting and gets you access to Rightmove and Zoopla to advertise…

Each time I’ve advertised I’ve been inundated with requests…. I hold an open day for people to visit and weigh up who I’d like to live there….  Openrent process does the financial check and we sign docs and they move in

i have a delightful family in there at the moment and I hope they stay for a very long time…. They asked for a new kitchen which I’ve brought and as he’s a carpenter he’ll be fitting it…

I get the security of 12.5% rent guarantee but I’ve never had a week where my house was not occupied

On 25/05/2022 at 16:16, FoyleFox said:

I've done both. Had an agent who was useless, didn't check on the tenants properly to ensure the property was being well looked after. Didn't particularly help with the eviction when they stopped paying, either.

The properties I rent out now I deal with myself. It is my business, and for a time I did manage other properties for other Landlords.

It's not rocket science. However, you do need to ensure you're compliant with your gas/electric certs, rent deposit protection, referencing etc. Additionally, you need to be prepared that you can be available 24/7 in case of an issue - burst pipes, broken boilers etc. And most definitely do regular inspections, including photographs to compare to the initial inventory. Invaluable if there's a dispute further along.

The Openrent Wolfox references looks a great option for stepping you through the process if you do want to go the self-managed route.

It really depends on how comfortable you feel doing it yourself and if you've the time to do the management, if you've a busy job and family, an agent might be a good choice.

On 26/05/2022 at 05:01, The Year Of The Fox said:

Do it yourself. 12.5% is very high for a start. My mum uses Martin and Co and got them down to 8-9% 

I still think it’s a waste of time and that they take money for nothing, and I tell her so. But she’s 63 and panics about everything. 

Lettings agents will promise you the earth and deliver nothing. A decent landlord insurance policy will cover any missed rent, providing you’ve ran your own credit checks (they usually stipulate that in the small print) Also make sure you have legal cover in the landlords insurance- that was invaluable to me when I needed to evict in the middle of the pandemic.

All of us must know a reliable local builder and associated trades that you can use to carry out any works too. It does help that I’m a plumber and Gas Safe registered and I know that obviously not everybody is 😂 But most people have their own trades they use for work at their residential address 

Agents never seem to carry out any property checks either, but again it’s something you can do yourself. 

Make an inventory and take photos before letting it out, I use contracts bought from Amazon for unfurnished properties. 

You can/do get bad experiences (See the Coalville Town thread in the main section 😂) but no amount of lettings agents could’ve prevented that. 

The house next door to my rental is ran by a lettings agents named after a well known leicestershire park. The house and garden is absolutely horrendous. I called them up once enquiring if they looked after properties for landlords and whether they carried out regular property checks. After they told me they did, I told them that 41 G******** St is a terrible advert for their business and that I wouldn’t be using them any time soon 😂

Thanks for the advice, definitely useful to know personal experiences and 12.5% seems quite high, we have tried to contact electricians about doing an EICR but they didn't want to know so we are going through agent for that as well as legionella, EPC etc at additional costs. 

My only real concern with self managed is: 

"Additionally, you need to be prepared that you can be available 24/7 in case of an issue - burst pipes, broken boilers etc. And most definitely do regular inspections, including photographs to compare to the initial inventory. Invaluable if there's a dispute further along."

This may be a bit of a burden if we want to go away as we don't really have anyone to be proactive if things go wrong as our parents are 60+ and wouldn't be able to cope. 

I think the agent managed option sounds right for you. The fee you're paying is for the peace of mind and them dealing with any issues. Just keep a check on them that they are. 

It maybe in time, when your tenants are established, and you feel more confident that you might want to do it yourself.  No option is wrong, it's what works for you. 

11 hours ago, JonnyBoy said:

Thanks for the advice, definitely useful to know personal experiences and 12.5% seems quite high, we have tried to contact electricians about doing an EICR but they didn't want to know so we are going through agent for that as well as legionella, EPC etc at additional costs. 

"Additionally, you need to be prepared that you can be available 24/7 in case of an issue - burst pipes, broken boilers etc. And most definitely do regular inspections, including photographs to compare to the initial inventory. Invaluable if there's a dispute further along."

This may be a bit of a burden if we want to go away as we don't really have anyone to be proactive if things go wrong as our parents are 60+ and wouldn't be able to cope. 

How often do burst pipes occur in your old house? Or does your boiler pack in? I wouldn’t go about worrying about things like that 

It’s a fair point though, just one I’ve never thought about! I’m away all the time (🤣) and don’t have anyone lined up to do the above. 

I’m not sure any lettings agents would sort out an emergency call out with their approved Contractors at 3am either though! 

18 hours ago, JonnyBoy said:

The legionella report I did myself…. Wasn’t that tricky…. You just need to follow the list and take pictures

The EICR…. I got a sparks to do…. There is a website where independent electricians bid on the work   

for  myth boiler / plumbing I have a BG contract 

it’s all doable 

On 18/06/2022 at 17:58, FoyleFox said:

I'm assuming we'd have the same issue now we've had a Hive thermostat thing installed.

Assuming the Hive system is the only switch in the system (I.e. Your Boiler also isn't connected directly to the WiFi) then you'll be fine if the WiFi goes down. The Hive receiver has a manual override so you can switch both hot water and heating on independently.

12 hours ago, The Year Of The Fox said:

How often do burst pipes occur in your old house? Or does your boiler pack in? I wouldn’t go about worrying about things like that 

It’s a fair point though, just one I’ve never thought about! I’m away all the time (🤣) and don’t have anyone lined up to do the above. 

I’m not sure any lettings agents would sort out an emergency call out with their approved Contractors at 3am either though! 

I'd definitely consider it as important, not necessarily worry about it. It isn't a weekly thing but the boiler not working, electric point blowing up, blocked drains, lights not working, burst pipe, oil leak....I've had all of these and more in the last year. Admittedly, they're related to more than one property, and I've a trusted team of contractors I contact. Tenants do want to report these things at 7am or 9pm on a Sunday. I always give them a heads-up when I'm away, especially if it's somewhere with a significant time difference and/or my Wi-Fi will be intermittent. Contact also depends on the tenant, I've one with loads of common sense and very capable of investigating issues. Another one is the opposite and phones if a lightbulb blows (although they are much improved now).

A good agent should have a 24-hour emergency help number. They will have 24/7 plumber engaged. It should be all part of the package you're paying for.

Everything is doable yourself, it just depends on if you want to or have time. It is my only job, so it's not an issue, but if you're juggling a demanding full time job and family, it might not be extra work you want to commit to.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ian__marshall said:

Assuming the Hive system is the only switch in the system (I.e. Your Boiler also isn't connected directly to the WiFi) then you'll be fine if the WiFi goes down. The Hive receiver has a manual override so you can switch both hot water and heating on independently.

Yes, it's just the thermostat and a wifi box connected. Investigated after I posted this and there is a way to manually switch it on and off.

11 hours ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/50-year-mortgages-are-latest-idea-to-fix-housing-crisis-xlgpml9hc

'50-year mortgages are latest idea to fix housing crisis'

Madness.

Not really…. A 50 year mortgage in 25 years is likely to be a very different prospect…. 40 years working life Is very likely to extend as well…

if it helps younguns get on the ladder…. In all for it 

26 minutes ago, Wolfox said:

Not really…. A 50 year mortgage in 25 years is likely to be a very different prospect…. 40 years working life Is very likely to extend as well…

if it helps younguns get on the ladder…. In all for it 

We’ll be having 75 years soon then, passing it onto our kids etc.  

Should be building houses in order to help youngsters get onto the ladder, not forcing them with 50 years of debt burden. 

• Like 3