Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Bluefoxtim

Houses

On 05/11/2022 at 10:39, Raj said:

From an impartial point of view and with knowing the costs of building materials and labour right now, that house would go through fifty grand of reno costs in no time. I hope you get to a resolution to are happy with though

We have come down to 347,500 and they have come up to 343,500.

I've said my last offer is 345k and I want to know by close of play Friday else I'm taking it off the market (Abit of a bluff as I will actually accept 343,500k just to get it over with).

Estate agent said if I accept 343,500 they want to complete in the next 2 weeks with no further delays, so they are still very interested.

Let's see....

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Raj said:

We have come down to 347,500 and they have come up to 343,500.

I've said my last offer is 345k and I want to know by close of play Friday else I'm taking it off the market (Abit of a bluff as I will actually accept 343,500k just to get it over with).

Estate agent said if I accept 343,500 they want to complete in the next 2 weeks with no further delays, so they are still very interested.

Let's see....

That’s where you get to in houses…. Everyone cry’s ‘but it’s only £1.5k?’

£1.5k is a shed load of money and people should be a bit tougher on these kind of negotiations….  Nowt wrong with a bit of hardball

It’s why one of Rolls Royce’s most successful marketing ploys os to put RR into yacht exhibitions…. Ok, you haven’t spaffed £40m on a yacht, but I just picked up a phantom for £300k as I was walking out…. People lose the perception of money as the numbers get bigger

1 hour ago, Wolfox said:

Brilliant…. Great result…. Now do something fun with the £1.5k - you earned it!

pleased for you !

Upgrade my season ticket to the Weller Lounge!!!

Or holiday next year!!!

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Got a completion date today of Friday. Think it might be a bit touch and go with my Help to Buy ISA as Nationwide for some reason can’t produce the closure statement for two days after the account has been closed leaving 1/2 days to get the application submitted and the bonus sent over; I can’t really push back the completion date either as my mortgage offer runs out soon and I just want to complete. Anyone got experience of Help to Buy ISAs and how quickly they can be done?

3 minutes ago, Ian Nacho said:

Got a completion date today of Friday. Think it might be a bit touch and go with my Help to Buy ISA as Nationwide for some reason can’t produce the closure statement for two days after the account has been closed leaving 1/2 days to get the application submitted and the bonus sent over; I can’t really push back the completion date either as my mortgage offer runs out soon and I just want to complete. Anyone got experience of Help to Buy ISAs and how quickly they can be done?

They can be turned around within 1 working day. This happens quite often where the banks mess people around with the closing statement

• Thanks 1

This house selling lark is taking ageeeesssss!

Buyers are cash buyers and having agreed a re-negotiated deal on 11th November  solicitors are still fannying around dealing with enquiries  from searches etc.

Honestly thought we would be at exchange  of contracts  stage by now, but maybe things do take ages nowadays!?

5 hours ago, Raj said:

Buyers are cash buyers and having agreed a re-negotiated deal on 11th November  solicitors are still fannying around dealing with enquiries  from searches etc.

Honestly thought we would be at exchange  of contracts  stage by now, but maybe things do take ages nowadays!?

To be fair to the solicitors a lot of the searches obtained from external sources like local councils.

Also, you have to remember they will be checking and double checking everything within their retainer with the buyer. They have do in the best interests of their interest as they can be liable years down the line if they miss things or dont mention things.

Saying all of that, see if you can agree a provisional completion date. If you are feeling helpful and in no rush mention you are happy for them to suggest a reasonable date but if they dont have something in mind then suggest a date yourself otherwise it will drag on indefinitely.

Keep checking in to see to that date is still on course and a week or two beforehand ramp up the chasers. Unfortunately you'll have to although you shouldnt.

Solicitors get a bad rep but conveyancing offers some of the tightest profit margins in most of law so usually take on more than thry can chew but they also take on most of the risk compared to estate agents for a fraction of the estate agents fee if something goes wrong. Thats for context really but it shouldn't stop you from chasing when neccessary, 

One last thing - if you are getting nowhere via solicitors on certain points it is worth contacting the estate agent to chase whoever is holding things up as sometimes the chain of communication and clearance on things is you to your solicitor then to their solicitor then to the buyer.

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Unabomber said:

Black mould has appeared on our en-suite ceiling. We have an extractor on and vents in the windows. Not sure what to do as can spray and clean it off but I assume it will reappear. Anyone know the best course of action?

Have you checked there isn't a leak in the roof causing excess moisture build up?

11 hours ago, Raj said:

Things can be done quickly, it’s just conveyancing solicitors work a certain way.

I have offered, exchanged and completed within 4 days a few years ago, think it was around 2019. 

The solicitor charges me an extra couple of hundred quid, but it’s literally them deciding to deal with it rather than just do a bit on one file, then putting it down and picking up the next.

It’s frustrating, but there isn’t a great deal of money to be made from conveyancing if you have a big team of people and you do it quickly. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Unabomber said:

No haven’t checked that. It has appeared since we started showing in this room rather than the main bathroom, so I assume it’s to do with that.

Probably extraction, you can get some really powerful ones. Keep door open after a shower.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Unabomber said:

Black mould has appeared on our en-suite ceiling. We have an extractor on and vents in the windows. Not sure what to do as can spray and clean it off but I assume it will reappear. Anyone know the best course of action?

I had this problem, had extractor fan, dried the shower walls & screen with a Karcher window vac  after every shower. The black mould would still build up, I would get some off with anti mould spray but about every 6 months I had to paint the ceiling to cover it. However in the summer I bought a more expensive fan & painted the ceiling with Ronseal anti mould paint , this suppose to have a 6 year guarantee & at about £18 for a tin, it wasn't cheap, but touchwood the mould hasn't reappeared. I still dry the shower with the Karcher & open the window after each shower.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Rob1742 said:

Things can be done quickly, it’s just conveyancing solicitors work a certain way.

I have offered, exchanged and completed within 4 days a few years ago, think it was around 2019. 

The solicitor charges me an extra couple of hundred quid, but it’s literally them deciding to deal with it rather than just do a bit on one file, then putting it down and picking up the next.

It’s frustrating, but there isn’t a great deal of money to be made from conveyancing if you have a big team of people and you do it quickly. 

Think this is the case here, loads of clients and doing abit at a time.

5 hours ago, Ian Nacho said:

Exchange and completed today. Got a bit farcical in the end as I collected the keys from the house but the previous owner was still fannying about removing their stuff at aboht 1pm (I’m a first time buyer so luckily didn’t have anything to move in).  I decided to go home and come back later at 5pm but they were still there taking their stuff out. Just walked in and pretty much kicked them out in the end. They’ve still left stuff out in the garden to collect tomorrow (hopefully). The sheer ignorance of people never fails to amaze me. 

Congratulations on getting the keys!

Same thing happened to a mate when I helped him move in to his. He was told the person was selling because they had financial difficulties and would be kipping on a friends sofa until they found something else after the sale. Sad circumstance of course but when they're slowly taking stuff out of a house my mate legally owned around 6pm he was made to feel guilty for no reason as if he was kicking someone out.

9 hours ago, Ian Nacho said:

Exchange and completed today. Got a bit farcical in the end as I collected the keys from the house but the previous owner was still fannying about removing their stuff at aboht 1pm (I’m a first time buyer so luckily didn’t have anything to move in).  I decided to go home and come back later at 5pm but they were still there taking their stuff out. Just walked in and pretty much kicked them out in the end. They’ve still left stuff out in the garden to collect tomorrow (hopefully). The sheer ignorance of people never fails to amaze me. 

People are numpties…. I have to admit that movers left some stuff in the garden which I got the next day, so it can happen to the best of us!

But, most importantly…. Congrats on sealing the deal…. It’s a nice feeling