Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Bluefoxtim

Houses

9 minutes ago, FoxFromCoalville said:

SKB construction would be my go to personally

JW ward and son are good

W Gilbert builders are extremely good if you’re not too far from Nuneaton but depending how far north maybe a little far

Others like stevie boam or John merison would probably be who I’d be going to as a price benchmark as well 

Thanks for these, will contact them. 

3 hours ago, ian__marshall said:

Basically had plans approved for a single storey extension which is around 48m2. Yeah we're in the North of the county so any recommendations would be appreciated.

That's a big extension, isn't it? Is it on the rear, into the garden? 

42 minutes ago, ian__marshall said:

Biggish, basically a rear/side wraparound. Will give us a large open plan kitchen, with the side consisting of a playroom, study/bedroom, and wet room. 

Sounds great. Are you planning to live in it whilst they do the work? We've just had ours completed (inside anyway) which involved knocking down external (and internal walls) which took best part of 6 months to get to this stage. Not the best experience we've ever had and spent most of the summer living in the lounge with a microwave and kettle. Luckily it was a hot summer as we were without hot water for weeks and washing up in the bath is not good for the back. Ours is smaller, single storey, but it was quite an upheaval living in a building site with what felt like the house was being destroyed. 

Great now its livable but brace yourself. 

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Spudulike said:

Sounds great. Are you planning to live in it whilst they do the work? We've just had ours completed (inside anyway) which involved knocking down external (and internal walls) which took best part of 6 months to get to this stage. Not the best experience we've ever had and spent most of the summer living in the lounge with a microwave and kettle. Luckily it was a hot summer as we were without hot water for weeks and washing up in the bath is not good for the back. Ours is smaller, single storey, but it was quite an upheaval living in a building site with what felt like the house was being destroyed. 

Great now its livable but brace yourself. 

Haven't decided yet as we've been struggling trying to get a builder as all our local ones are tied up with other projects. We do however have the option to move in with the mother in law during the building work so we may take up the offer as appreciate it's likely to be messy. 

10 minutes ago, ian__marshall said:

Haven't decided yet as we've been struggling trying to get a builder as all our local ones are tied up with other projects. We do however have the option to move in with the mother in law during the building work so we may take up the offer as appreciate it's likely to be messy. 

As @Spudulike says…. It’s an upheaval…

if you can get out…. Do

We had ours done in prime covid, so stayed and the dust and cr@p was a pain…

You soon forget when you enjoying your new place though!

• Like 1

I’ve got bits of mortar missing in my roof. I think the part of the roof I’m talking about is the verge, but could be wrong. Anyway, we had some heavy rain a month or so ago and I noticed a damp patch in the corner of one of our bedrooms. As it turns out, there’s mortar missing in the same area as where this patch is. I got on to the home insurance as we’ve got a good policy and relationship with the provider. They’ve told us to get a roofer in to determine if the missing mortar is due to storm damage or general wear and tear. How likely is it that a roofer would turn up for this kind of job? Would it be worth just getting one round to fill the mortar gaps and see if it resolves it?

Also, any roofers on here fancy a job? :D

34 minutes ago, Trumpet said:

I’ve got bits of mortar missing in my roof. I think the part of the roof I’m talking about is the verge, but could be wrong. Anyway, we had some heavy rain a month or so ago and I noticed a damp patch in the corner of one of our bedrooms. As it turns out, there’s mortar missing in the same area as where this patch is. I got on to the home insurance as we’ve got a good policy and relationship with the provider. They’ve told us to get a roofer in to determine if the missing mortar is due to storm damage or general wear and tear. How likely is it that a roofer would turn up for this kind of job? Would it be worth just getting one round to fill the mortar gaps and see if it resolves it?

Also, any roofers on here fancy a job? :D

The verge is the peak along the gable. The two images show a dry and wet verge. Most roofers these days would probably recommend swapping it out for a pvcu dry verge. That’s what I’d be doing if I had compo falling out. D75269AB-1BF1-4726-A2BB-FB9A04FCFE95.jpeg.62478a68fa2dd3ce2d785ff2a02e35d0.jpegE66921D9-B87A-4415-B9CB-D5A426E767E2.jpeg.c6c7d79f9a50072f01fd3b51fe157297.jpeg

17 minutes ago, FoxFromCoalville said:

The verge is the peak along the gable. The two images show a dry and wet verge. Most roofers these days would probably recommend swapping it out for a pvcu dry verge. That’s what I’d be doing if I had compo falling out. D75269AB-1BF1-4726-A2BB-FB9A04FCFE95.jpeg.62478a68fa2dd3ce2d785ff2a02e35d0.jpegE66921D9-B87A-4415-B9CB-D5A426E767E2.jpeg.c6c7d79f9a50072f01fd3b51fe157297.jpeg

Yeah ours is like the bottom one. Not sure why, but all of the other houses around us are fine and we’re built at the same time. Ours has loads of gaps.

I’d prefer to avoid the insurance and have someone patch it up if possible. Just unsure if it’s the kind of job a roofer wouldn’t get out of bed for.

7 minutes ago, Trumpet said:

Yeah ours is like the bottom one. Not sure why, but all of the other houses around us are fine and we’re built at the same time. Ours has loads of gaps.

I’d prefer to avoid the insurance and have someone patch it up if possible. Just unsure if it’s the kind of job a roofer wouldn’t get out of bed for.

Without seeing the extent of the damage it’s hard to say what the best route is. If you just want the compo raking out and re pointing then most builders / roofers would be able to do this and there’s always some idiot that will do it without a scaffold. If you want to swap for a dry verge you’ll need a scaffold and to find a roofer.

2 hours ago, Trumpet said:

This is where we’ve got the problem with the leak -

4D1FAC09-B1D3-42CE-BD32-67905ACB7D0C.thumb.jpeg.e11332f4430106eb64be842343704e3f.jpeg

And this is round the back of the house where we’ve got a bit more missing -

9F83FA10-1545-4647-9702-7270E5A4D4EE.thumb.jpeg.cf37ec2713afb2cff5aaca977357437e.jpeg

Just needs a bit of mortar applying. Should be able to do it yourself if you don't mind ladders. Failing that contact a maintenance company who should be more than happy to do a job like that. We had a similar situation about 7/8 years ago and used a local maintenance company. Think it only cost about £100 for them to do it. 

8 hours ago, Trumpet said:

4D1FAC09-B1D3-42CE-BD32-67905ACB7D0C.thumb.jpeg.e11332f4430106eb64be842343704e3f.jpeg

9F83FA10-1545-4647-9702-7270E5A4D4EE.thumb.jpeg.cf37ec2713afb2cff5aaca977357437e.jpeg

I would be surprised if that's causing the damp. I'd suggest you need a roofer to take a proper look particularly at the lead flashing which appears to be a crap detail.

The leadwork is very messy and poorly done so it could be contributing.

12 hours ago, kenny said:

I would be surprised if that's causing the damp. I'd suggest you need a roofer to take a proper look particularly at the lead flashing which appears to be a crap detail.

The leadwork is very messy and poorly done so it could be contributing.

Ah right, will get in touch with a roofer then. 

6 minutes ago, Lako42 said:

Looks like a new house 

Not surprised 

It’s 20 years old, so not new but I guess it still falls in the bracket of houses built when standards had dipped. 

23 hours ago, Trumpet said:

Is the guttering overflowing as well? Just looking at one of your pics, looks like water running onto the brickwork for some time? Might be wrong. Lol

1 hour ago, fox_favourite said:

Is the guttering overflowing as well? Just looking at one of your pics, looks like water running onto the brickwork for some time? Might be wrong. Lol

I agree. Looks like the lead is flinging the water over the gutter. As said previously, it's poor detailing and poor workmanship I reckon.

5 hours ago, fox_favourite said:

I hadn’t noticed, will look in the morning. The pictures are from google maps and were taken 8 years ago, the leak inside has only been present for a month or so and probably looks worse than it is.

The brickwork on the house isn’t great in all honesty, lots of white smears as you can see in one of the pics.

24 minutes ago, Trumpet said:

I hadn’t noticed, will look in the morning. The pictures are from google maps and were taken 8 years ago, the leak inside has only been present for a month or so and probably looks worse than it is.

The brickwork on the house isn’t great in all honesty, lots of white smears as you can see in one of the pics.

That's usually just salt effervescence and comes from dodgy bricks or Brick's that were laid wet.

The dark areas look like excessive water spilling over the gutter.

• Like 1

On 07/01/2023 at 11:45, FoxFromCoalville said:

I did my verge myself. I was careful with the disposal of the asbestos boards at the bottom of the verge and replaced them with a modern black plasticky material. It is an eighteenth century cottage so a dry verge would have looked completely wrong. I did baulk at replacing the barge boards on the main roof and got a roofer to replace these with plastic. From the ground you can't see what material was used thirty feet up so I am happy with a job which will probably outlast me.

1 minute ago, Ginger_Filbert said:

Going in to probably reserve a new build later. 

Has anyone got any negotiation tips?

At the present time house builders Will be panicking about the lack of movement  in the market so use it to your advantage. Have a look at other sites in the are, see what incentives they are offering and make them aware.

• Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, Ginger_Filbert said:

Going in to probably reserve a new build later. 

Has anyone got any negotiation tips?

Flooring and Lawn.... that would be the things i'm trying to insist on as they have a heavy cost to you otherwise.... 

That being said.... January will probably have seen their annual targets reset, so you might not be in quite so much of a strong bargaining position... 

Depends how quickly you can move as well..... 

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Greg2607 said:

Flooring and Lawn.... that would be the things i'm trying to insist on as they have a heavy cost to you otherwise.... 

That being said.... January will probably have seen their annual targets reset, so you might not be in quite so much of a strong bargaining position... 

Depends how quickly you can move as well..... 

no houses are currently selling and their pipeline of business will have dried up. I’ve heard of builders offering significant incentives to get these over the line, they also run the risk of being down valued in a few months so I would say the above doesn’t really come into it at the minute.

• Like 1