Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Bluefoxtim

Houses

1 hour ago, Greg2607 said:

Flooring and Lawn

Flooring deffo. Wouldn’t bother with lawn. They won’t dig it out and put proper top soil down, they’ll just lay the turf on top of all the shit they want to throw away and the grass will just die no matter how much you look after it. It’ll cause you more stress in the long run I would wager.

We had them just leave our garden as scrap and did it ourselves. Took longer to get it right but at least it will be how you want it at the end. 

Edited by Manini
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Manini said:

Flooring deffo. Wouldn’t bother with lawn. They won’t dig it out and put proper top soil down, they’ll just lay the turf on top of all the shit they want to throw away and the grass will just die no matter how much you look after it. It’ll cause you more stress in the long run I would wager.

We had them just leave our garden as scrap and did it ourselves. Took longer to get it right but at least it will be how you want it at the end. 

ah, we negotiated for them to put topsoil down and then lawn on top to be fair.... 

Just now, Greg2607 said:

ah, we negotiated for them to put topsoil down and then lawn on top to be fair.... 

Good thinking in that case, make sure they’ve actually done it when you pick the keys up and if not, insistently keep it at the top of your snagging list, whether you’ve paid for it or they’ve thrown it in for “nothing”. 

I’ve no regrets buying a new build FWIW, yeah you have issues but so do old houses. If you can afford to have an independent snagging survey I’d recommend that too, but you’ll know what needs doing too. 

5 minutes ago, Manini said:

Good thinking in that case, make sure they’ve actually done it when you pick the keys up and if not, insistently keep it at the top of your snagging list, whether you’ve paid for it or they’ve thrown it in for “nothing”. 

I’ve no regrets buying a new build FWIW, yeah you have issues but so do old houses. If you can afford to have an independent snagging survey I’d recommend that too, but you’ll know what needs doing too. 

We moved in two years ago.  We had some snags (a couple of major ones) but we kept on top of it.  Ironically, we have just reported that we have 4 radiators that have started leaking for no reason and it's rusted them.... They are replacing all four, as well as the carpets that have been ruined by the rusty water that's leaked ... I'm basically getting new carpets across the house for no cost. 

That's where I see the benefit of a new build, certainly in the first two years. 

28 minutes ago, Greg2607 said:

We moved in two years ago.  We had some snags (a couple of major ones) but we kept on top of it.  Ironically, we have just reported that we have 4 radiators that have started leaking for no reason and it's rusted them.... They are replacing all four, as well as the carpets that have been ruined by the rusty water that's leaked ... I'm basically getting new carpets across the house for no cost. 

That's where I see the benefit of a new build, certainly in the first two years. 

Ah sorry! I thought it was you that was reserving on the new build, but I can see you were just replying to somebody else lol 

@Ginger_Filbertsee above for what I was meant to reply to you re new builds! 

5 minutes ago, Lako42 said:

Probably this new thick 'luxury' laminate stuff that is all the rage 

We have jsut done ours with LVT looks great. 

The guys that did it didnt take our tiles up but they did screed that self levelling liquid stuff over the top of them. Gives you a better base layer and fills in the grout etc of the tiles.  

1 minute ago, goose2010 said:

The guys that did it didnt take our tiles up but they did screed that self levelling liquid stuff over the top of them. Gives you a better base layer and fills in the grout etc of the tiles.  

Nice, what was the damage if you don't mind me asking? 

8 minutes ago, Lako42 said:

Probably this new thick 'luxury' laminate stuff that is all the rage 

Just now, goose2010 said:

Our tiles went directly over the tiles in the kitchen and conservatory but when we had the lino over tiles in the spare bed ensuite, we had that self levelling screed first. As above, just creates a good level base.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Lako42 said:

Nice, what was the damage if you don't mind me asking? 

We had the Kitchen, Dining Room, Utility, downstairs WC done. 2 days (1 day levelling etc, 1 day laying it) i think it is about 30sqm in total and it was just over 2k total. 

image.thumb.jpeg.241acfc7b31b3325716264cb7de8bd4d.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.2397cd8688eb0dd0220b2de9971049ea.jpeg

• Like 3

1 minute ago, goose2010 said:

We had the Kitchen, Dining Room, Utility, downstairs WC done. 2 days (1 day levelling etc, 1 day laying it) i think it is about 30sqm in total and it was just over 2k total. 

image.thumb.jpeg.241acfc7b31b3325716264cb7de8bd4d.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.2397cd8688eb0dd0220b2de9971049ea.jpeg

Cheers, looks really good. 

Where you located roughly if you don't mind me asking? 

3 hours ago, goose2010 said:

Why you got covers over the light?

Sorry, I'm just a nosey bastard.

Lovely kitchen

2 minutes ago, Costock_Fox said:

Does anyone know a trustworthy roofer? My mum has been quoted £10k for a 2 bed end terrace which seems mental.

I'm in the north and I was quoted £8.5k for a 2 bed semi plus the roof of a bay window in case thats a gauge for anything in Leicestershire. That wasnt for timber as that is fine.

16 minutes ago, Nalis said:

I'm in the north and I was quoted £8.5k for a 2 bed semi plus the roof of a bay window in case thats a gauge for anything in Leicestershire. That wasnt for timber as that is fine.

Ouch, she was thinking it would be about 6k.

On 11/01/2023 at 19:04, Costock_Fox said:

Does anyone know a trustworthy roofer? My mum has been quoted £10k for a 2 bed end terrace which seems mental.

Bugger thats reminded me we need to get a small flat roof at the back sorted. 

No doubt get ridiculous quotes for that as well as everything else.