Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Bluefoxtim

Houses

The neighbour's house is in a state of severe disrepair. Overgrown. Rotten windows. Guttering ****ed.

We've not said anything until now as it isn't ours to say but we're starting to get issues now. Some leakage into our side from his after heavy rain.

Can anyone advise on recourse after the initial conversation I'm going to have with him. I'm sure he won't be open to taking care of his property (he's into his eighties and has never maintained it prior to us moving in) so I'm certain I'll have to take further steps. I just don't know where to start.

14 minutes ago, foxile5 said:

The neighbour's house is in a state of severe disrepair. Overgrown. Rotten windows. Guttering ****ed.

We've not said anything until now as it isn't ours to say but we're starting to get issues now. Some leakage into our side from his after heavy rain.

Can anyone advise on recourse after the initial conversation I'm going to have with him. I'm sure he won't be open to taking care of his property (he's into his eighties and has never maintained it prior to us moving in) so I'm certain I'll have to take further steps. I just don't know where to start.

That's tricky. Do you know if he has any family? Do you know anyone on the road who knows him who you could chat to about it to get some background? Got to worry about what the inside of his house is like. 

33 minutes ago, rachhere said:

That's tricky. Do you know if he has any family? Do you know anyone on the road who knows him who you could chat to about it to get some background? Got to worry about what the inside of his house is like. 

The inside of his house is in a state of disrepair.

Neighbours the other side have noticed and helped out.

Family -yes.

35 minutes ago, rachhere said:

I've lived here near five years. I know him. It's not a new thing. It's just accelerated recently.

How's his general health and wellbeing? If you have concerns about that, contact Adult Social Care with your concerns. 0116 454 1004 if in the city.

The Local Environmental Health team and housing team maybe interested too.

It is possible he has some underlying issue that prevents him taking care of his home and, perhaps himself.

Do the neighbours you mentioned, have greater knowledge of his circumstances?

Edited by Free Falling Foxes

Went to view a house 1st time buyer had no idea what I was looking for other if things are broken 😆 and when they asked so you have any questions I was like ermm nope don't think so. The person who's selling the house was like ermm okay are sure? I said not really as this is the 1st time am buying not sure what I was meant to do and what are the don't and do's I guess. Probably thought God I feel sorry for him 

So any idea what i should ask? Or the do's and don't?

10 minutes ago, Free Falling Foxes said:

How's his general health and wellbeing? If you have concerns about that, contact Adult Social Care with your concerns. 0116 454 1004 if in the city.

The Local Environmental Health team and housing team maybe interested too.

It is possible he has some underlying issue that prevents him taking care of his home and, perhaps himself.

Do the neighbours you mentioned, have greater knowledge of his circumstances?

He's fine. In fine health, judging by his daily routine. No mental health issues. 

Other neighbors have had words and spoke to the council about his rats.

It's apathy and an issue with his ex wife apparently. Acrimonious divorce lead to this I'm told. It isn't an issue of need.

46 minutes ago, TeamRocket said:

Went to view a house 1st time buyer had no idea what I was looking for other if things are broken 😆 and when they asked so you have any questions I was like ermm nope don't think so. The person who's selling the house was like ermm okay are sure? I said not really as this is the 1st time am buying not sure what I was meant to do and what are the don't and do's I guess. Probably thought God I feel sorry for him 

Well your innocent side will help,staying humble but still with Keen eye.

Ask about average  service prices ( gas,electricity,Water. Etc)

look and ask questions of Water,Electricity,gas presentation & fittings. Windows,doors the general infrastructure.. Walls,which are carry walls,and cosmetic including floors structure..plus if they themselves have made any changes ,and show positive interest.

Never,never  criticise, taste,internal Lay-out or basic decor…

Ask how long they have been owners,and opinions experience gathered of the area. Amenities how convenient, and their distances.Ask these questions in a cordial relaxed manner, no 3rd degree intentions.

You might want to make structural changes,ask their opinion if it’s worthwhile.

but only if you think they can make relevant input & have the interest. Depends on situation…

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, TeamRocket said:

https://www.comparemymove.com/advice/buying-a-home/house-viewing-checklist

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, TeamRocket said:

There are lots of things you can ask…. 

Most things should be instantly apparent on viewing, but I focus on 3 core things

The roof…. Is it in a good state of repair?  Guttering and tiles…. Stand back and look and ask the owner

The windows?  Modern?  Double glazed?  Good state of repair?  - check ‘em

The central heating…. How olds the boiler?  When was it last serviced?  Again…. Ask the owner

These are the core things that could cost you money…

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, foxile5 said:

if you have some willing neighbours maybe get together and offer to help out and clear his garden etc for him.   if nothing else, it might help him feel like there are people there for him. 

clearly, he is going to need to fork out to get the guttering and stuff fixed, but he might be feeling really overwhelmed by it all.

14 minutes ago, Greg2607 said:

if you have some willing neighbours maybe get together and offer to help out and clear his garden etc for him.   if nothing else, it might help him feel like there are people there for him. 

clearly, he is going to need to fork out to get the guttering and stuff fixed, but he might be feeling really overwhelmed by it all.

I have cleared out his garden, personally, every year that I've lived here. It takes 2 days and a lot of time and money. 

Again - this isn't about the comfort or him being in a position of need. I'm trying to work out what my next steps are as he isn't doing basic maintenance on his house which is leading to mine becoming water damaged. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, foxile5 said:

I'd contact your home insurance company, they can probably point you in the right direction

My mum is looking to downsize and has put her house on the market.  She's been thinking about it for around a year and in the summer got three estate agents around to value it, but she decided to stay put and put it off until this year, the three valuations were between 550-675.  Personally my thoughts were that whilst 675 was a little high, 600-625 was about the right area. 

Around Christmas, she found an ideal property that she would like to buy but obviously needs to sell her place first, so she contacted the estate agent selling that house and asked them to put her house on the market.  When she told me that it was on the market, I was a little surprised by the price, thinking it was a bit low - a guide price of 550.  The estate agent apparently wanted to market it for 450 and the cynical side of me feels the estate agent was thinking about valuing it for a quick sale in order to collect two commissions.  It's been on the market for about 10 days and she's had 4 viewings and one offer so far, which she's turned down.  Now she's thinking (and so am I) that it is on the market for less than what it could/should achieve.

I'm not experienced in this sort of thing at all, but how easy would it be to get the estate agent to raise the price?  Is that an OK thing to do?  Or is the only way to do it to pull it off the market and go again later?

6 minutes ago, nnfox said:

My mum is looking to downsize and has put her house on the market.  She's been thinking about it for around a year and in the summer got three estate agents around to value it, but she decided to stay put and put it off until this year, the three valuations were between 550-675.  Personally my thoughts were that whilst 675 was a little high, 600-625 was about the right area. 

Around Christmas, she found an ideal property that she would like to buy but obviously needs to sell her place first, so she contacted the estate agent selling that house and asked them to put her house on the market.  When she told me that it was on the market, I was a little surprised by the price, thinking it was a bit low - a guide price of 550.  The estate agent apparently wanted to market it for 450 and the cynical side of me feels the estate agent was thinking about valuing it for a quick sale in order to collect two commissions.  It's been on the market for about 10 days and she's had 4 viewings and one offer so far, which she's turned down.  Now she's thinking (and so am I) that it is on the market for less than what it could/should achieve.

I'm not experienced in this sort of thing at all, but how easy would it be to get the estate agent to raise the price?  Is that an OK thing to do?  Or is the only way to do it to pull it off the market and go again later?

If you want the agent to raise the price, call them and tell them what you want the list price to be. They work for you.

• Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, nnfox said:

Valuations last summer went a bit mental, so I wouldn't expect a valuation now to be as high. 

You should be guided by their assessment but the list price is entirely up to you. As said above, the agent works for you and the higher the sale price, the higher their commission. 

Are there any other similar properties for sale in the area or sold prices on Rightmove?

On 16/01/2023 at 14:39, nnfox said:

If it has been on for ten days and it was below market value it would have likely sold by now. Whilst the market has settled slightly houses that are well priced still sell quickly, even at the 500k+ price point. What was the offer that was turned down if you’re happy to share?

Edited by FoxFromCoalville

On 16/01/2023 at 16:39, nnfox said:

They are crazily varying estimates, if it sells the valuation report will show whether they think it’s undervalued and if it is significantly the bank providing the mortgage of the purchaser may have an issue with it.

Go on zoopla and look for comparative properties and see how much they sold for recently, think about whether your mums house has anything extra that would add more/less value to it and you may see a tolerance of about £15/20k lower but house prices have not dropped £200k in a year.

Kind of home related. Does anyone know what causes the hinge on a skylight to get completely stuck and not close? It looks a lot like the one in the picture included but it's not a velux and doesn't have a magnet. It used to close but now it won't no matter how much you push. Meanwhile my other one is buttery smooth.

Any advice would be appreciated, not ideal in this weather. WD40 didn't work.

common_reasons_window_not_lock(1).gif

• 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, TeamRocket said:

We have done the online application and stuff but they ask for solicitor details? Which am so confused as I was told by someone just use the one from the bank as it will make things move faster but how does one do that? 

Are you remortgaging or looking to buy? Some banks offer "free legals" where they instruct their own solicitors. Otherwise, you will need to instruct a solicitor

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TeamRocket said:

We have done the online application and stuff but they ask for solicitor details? Which am so confused as I was told by someone just use the one from the bank as it will make things move faster but how does one do that? 

The bank suggested solicitor has caused me nothing but strife in the past. Worth asking your mtg broker for their preferred solicitor 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, grobyfox1990 said:

The bank suggested solicitor has caused me nothing but strife in the past. Worth asking your mtg broker for their preferred solicitor 

Definayrly get your own choice solicitor/ conveyancer 

Edited by Raj