Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Bluefoxtim

Houses

Starting to regret the agent we chose to list ours. 

After the initial boss man came around and we agreed a price, they were supposed to send another two of the team to 'get to know our property' but only one showed up. He was early 20's and didn't seem that arsed and I had to prompt him to write important information down.  

We had a viewing last Saturday and the one who didn't show up was doing it. I e-mailed her in advance to suggest she nip in beforehand to have a look around but got no reply so she showed the prospect around 'blind' (and the feedback I got after was only a one liner)

Glad I told them I wasn't signing up to the standard 20 weeks contract and insisted on six weeks instead. They've got four weeks left to sell it otherwise I'm going with a different agent.

16 hours ago, Izzy said:

Starting to regret the agent we chose to list ours. 

After the initial boss man came around and we agreed a price, they were supposed to send another two of the team to 'get to know our property' but only one showed up. He was early 20's and didn't seem that arsed and I had to prompt him to write important information down.  

We had a viewing last Saturday and the one who didn't show up was doing it. I e-mailed her in advance to suggest she nip in beforehand to have a look around but got no reply so she showed the prospect around 'blind' (and the feedback I got after was only a one liner)

Glad I told them I wasn't signing up to the standard 20 weeks contract and insisted on six weeks instead. They've got four weeks left to sell it otherwise I'm going with a different agent.

Same issue, I broke the contract and went with an alternative. Sold within a week. 

I've had a rising damp problem in my 1900s end terrace since I've moved in. I had a company out 12 months ago to inject DPC cream but it's not resolved the issue. I'm pretty sure that the issue is salts on the plaster drawing in moisture rather than external water ingress as the more humid it is, the worse it is. Anyway I've got the company back out to take a look and they're currently reinjecting the external walls. I doubt this will resolve the issue as I don't think it's the root cause but as I think I making a section 75 credit card claim, I want to give them a chance of fixing the issue. The fact they're reinjecting the external walls free of charge is them acknowledging that the original work hasn't worked, so hopefully that works in my favour. 

19 hours ago, Stadt said:

Yeah I agree but it just adds to the cost I guess - this one doesn’t even have an EPC because the seller’s estate agent is crap.

EPCs are a pretty blunt instrument as well for what it's worth and will often be based on significant assumptions unless it's a relatively new build.

Do you know how old it is? What type of construction it is?

19 hours ago, Stadt said:

11k under asking, it’s only a 2 bed so any lower wasn’t very realistic imo.

The estate agent didn’t even put our second offer to the seller for about 3 weeks because they missed the email ffs

Jesus,

Ah well, £11k gives a bit of wiggle room for future maintenance.

4 minutes ago, ajthefox said:

EPCs are a pretty blunt instrument as well for what it's worth and will often be based on significant assumptions unless it's a relatively new build.

It's 30s built so not expecting peak energy efficiency. You're an architect iirc?

5 minutes ago, Strokes said:

Jesus,

Ah well, £11k gives a bit of wiggle room for future maintenance.

The offer was then put to the seller (I hate vendor, feels so American) and she immediately accepted so the whole process could have happened about a month earlier.

The estate agent didn't turn up when we first viewed it too lol 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Stadt said:

It's 30s built so not expecting peak energy efficiency. You're an architect iirc?

I am yes.

Unless it's had a lot done it's probably going to be a D I'd have thought, maybe a C. Roof insulation likely the easiest thing to upgrade assuming it's got double glazing.

After that there aren't really any quick improvements, you're looking at lining the external walls which is obviously faff whichever way you go.

1 hour ago, ajthefox said:

Very blunt instruments.  Next door to me are two pretty much identical back-to-back 200 year old terraces.  One has a rating of E with potential to go to B.  The other has a rating of F with potential to go to E.  Makes no sense.

15 minutes ago, ajthefox said:

I am yes.

Unless it's had a lot done it's probably going to be a D I'd have thought, maybe a C. Roof insulation likely the easiest thing to upgrade assuming it's got double glazing.

After that there aren't really any quick improvements, you're looking at lining the external walls which is obviously faff whichever way you go.

Yeah the survey picked up the loft insulation was below current regs, I'll pick some more up 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Stadt said:

The offer was then put to the seller (I hate vendor, feels so American) and she immediately accepted so the whole process could have happened about a month earlier.

The estate agent didn't turn up when we first viewed it too lol 

Money for nothing, estate agents are an absolute scam.

On 02/07/2024 at 21:41, Sol thewall Bamba said:

Getting worse by the day at the moment.

Turns out the probate sale at the top of the chain is completely in the mud because the couple that lived there and passed away weren't legally married as they thought they were (couldn't fvcking write it could you), so their wills were void and the trustees can't sell the house. Our buyer is basically ready to go, been chasing via our agent for weeks to then suddenly turn around and say "sorry no idea when this will be sorted haha". Solicitor at the top is chasing but it's completely at the mercy of the crown estate deciding if they can sell and have the funds held by the solicitor until it gets sorted.

Our sellers (3rd out of 4, buying the probate sale), won't break the chain because she runs a business from home and needs the space. 

So essentially the whole thing is jammed up and I've got no idea what to do. Completely drained from the whole thing and it's taken all the excitement out of buying what should be our ideal forever home. If we pull out of buying we'd have to complete our sale and find something temporary, if we just sit here and wait for the decision we'll probably lose our buyer.

Bona Vacantia applied to the top of the chain, so it's dead. 

5 minutes ago, Sol thewall Bamba said:

This is so shit. I basically had this four years ago and ended up buying a house that was miles better than the one that fell through. Feel deflated but feel determined to start again and keep going. It's a long game but it does end well for you... eventually

• Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, Sol thewall Bamba said:

I know it won't feel like it at the moment, but maybe it just wasn't meant to be, and you'll find something even better soon. 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Sol thewall Bamba said:

Chin up mate, hopefully  some good out of it which you can look back on👍🏾

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Got someone coming over to value ours later on today with the view of potentially selling.

Love the house I’m in and in a great location for family etc but they are planning to build on the opposite side of the main road and it’s likely to cause chaos.

Issue I’ve got, is I’ve been looking on Rightmove for ages and struggle to find what I want.

28 minutes ago, VLC86 said:

Got someone coming over to value ours later on today with the view of potentially selling.

Love the house I’m in and in a great location for family etc but they are planning to build on the opposite side of the main road and it’s likely to cause chaos.

Issue I’ve got, is I’ve been looking on Rightmove for ages and struggle to find what I want.

Whereas we've got 7 'favorites' saved on Rightmove that we'd happily move into tomorrow.

Problem is, there's very little interest in ours and nothing around here is selling atm.

We live in a relatively small village and there's 54 properties for sale - more than I've ever known in 22 years living here.

Something needs to happen to kick start the market again.

21 minutes ago, Izzy said:

Whereas we've got 7 'favorites' saved on Rightmove that we'd happily move into tomorrow.

Problem is, there's very little interest in ours and nothing around here is selling atm.

We live in a relatively small village and there's 54 properties for sale - more than I've ever known in 22 years living here.

Something needs to happen to kick start the market again.

Ouch. I know it’s good for the country and good for people but I wonder what impact Labours building plans will have.

4 hours ago, VLC86 said:

Ouch. I know it’s good for the country and good for people but I wonder what impact Labours building plans will have.

More supply into the market will just stagnate prices - not a bad thing necessarily depending on your circumstance. Lowering rates is the only real way to kick start the market again. 

5 hours ago, VLC86 said:

Are the plans confirmed? Sorry to be the bearer of bad news as I know first hand how stressful the process is, but you will have to factor that into the price you are after. Hopefully if you are upsizing you can get more money off the one you want, as nothing is moving at the minute really.

16 minutes ago, Tommy G said:

Are the plans confirmed? Sorry to be the bearer of bad news as I know first hand how stressful the process is, but you will have to factor that into the price you are after. Hopefully if you are upsizing you can get more money off the one you want, as nothing is moving at the minute really.

Think the plans are awaiting approval which is why we are considering selling quite sharpish.

Valuation has been done today and it’s not too bad, although I think they have priced it a fraction lower than we could get.

3 hours ago, VLC86 said:

Think the plans are awaiting approval which is why we are considering selling quite sharpish.

Valuation has been done today and it’s not too bad, although I think they have priced it a fraction lower than we could get.

Best of luck