Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
AKCJ

Mahrez - Chelsea/Arsenal

Didn't think he was as bad as people are making out today. Thought he caused problems and it didn't help that 3 Hull players were on him when he got the ball. If we let him go we really will be fu*ked, he is arguably our only world class player.

There was 20 minutes in the second half when he managed to get space and looked his usual self, linked up well with drinkwater in the first half, thank god he converted the peno.

a lot didn't come off but what do you expect when players are being marked out the game, tracked back well enough.

lose this man right now and we may aswell forget it, we'd be ****ed, Kante is a big enough blow we don't want a knockout. 

he was bad again , but so was the rest, no one looked interested, iam wondering is all the talk about him wanting to leave is affecting the team. maybe he needs to move on and we need to buy some quality in the midfield.  

Clearly overall defensive frailty of the team is more of a problem than his individual performance. I hope these results won't make him push for a move if he hasn't already. His wife is around 23 weeks pregnant by dates, that is bit too early to develop the life threatening pre eclampsia she had before, although that obviously doesn't rule out other problems.

13 hours ago, theessexfox said:

Wouldn't say he looked disinterested today, if anything he was trying a bit too hard, a lot of his passes were misplaced but he still has that bit of magic to beat a man and make space for himself and its vital we hold onto him. 

I can't believe how much stick Riyad is getting, this whole "He looked like he couldn't give a fvck is such a go to comment for so many people on here. He was clearly trying to make something happen but it just wasn't going right for him.

The guy is the talented player I've ever seen play for us, a few off par friendlies and a below par performance in the first game of the season in a team that played poorly and people want him out. And as for the transfer speculation, there is nothing that says he wants to go that has been substantiated. The club have been clear about not selling him and every photo I've seen of him he looks happy. Just look at the one Fuchs tweeted Friday afternoon. 

We really have been spoilt the last year and it shows. Some of our fans need to realise how blessed we are to have him in our team.

Mahrez needs technical peoples around him to play one two short passes and move directly..often when he get the ball there is no movement around him so because he is a direct player he tries his way trough instate of passing the ball back...

Maybe he needs to mature a bit and stop (playing) football he needs to realise that it is a job not a game :)

He hate passing the ball back...and if he is not doing it; it means that Ranieri is not asking him to do it.

Ranieri want him free so he is, with all the frustration that comes with it sometimes. 

8 hours ago, AlgerianFox said:

Mahrez needs technical peoples around him to play one two short passes and move directly..often when he get the ball there is no movement around him so because he is a direct player he tries his way trough instate of passing the ball back...

Maybe he needs to mature a bit and stop (playing) football he needs to realise that it is a job not a game :)

He hate passing the ball back...and if he is not doing it; it means that Ranieri is not asking him to do it.

Ranieri want him free so he is, with all the frustration that comes with it sometimes. 

He does have some of his best bits with Drinky, so your point is true.

I think if we signed Luan the link up play between mahrez, Drinky & Luan would be amazing.

On 8/14/2016 at 00:04, dylanlegend said:

Didn't think he was as bad as people are making out today. Thought he caused problems and it didn't help that 3 Hull players were on him when he got the ball. If we let him go we really will be fu*ked, he is arguably our only world class player.

I agree. Not to undermine his performance last year, but he isn't a player who puts his body on the line and runs all over the pitch. He wants the ball to his feet so he can try his step overs and cut in to the middle. That's what he did all last season, and that is what he tried to do in pre-season and against Hull. The difference now is that the other teams know what he is going to do and stick 3 players on him. What we need is a few more players that can also unlock the defence (Gray definitely, and also Schlupp - please don't go), so that we don't have to rely on Mahrez. 

We also need a big holding midfielder, who can knock a few CMs off the ball, control a high ball into the middle, hold it up and pass it to DD who then can pass to either wing, or down the centre to Vardy/Musa - or a big CF as plan B. Kante wasn't big, but he did that role well - we'll see if Mendy can do it. Why do I want big/strong? Because we need a bit of grit in the middle, we need someone who can support Huth/Wes at set pieces, and offer something different. Right now, like Mahrez, we are too obvious, we have one dimension.

1 hour ago, Merging Cultures said:

I agree. Not to undermine his performance last year, but he isn't a player who puts his body on the line and runs all over the pitch. He wants the ball to his feet so he can try his step overs and cut in to the middle. That's what he did all last season, and that is what he tried to do in pre-season and against Hull. The difference now is that the other teams know what he is going to do and stick 3 players on him. What we need is a few more players that can also unlock the defence (Gray definitely, and also Schlupp - please don't go), so that we don't have to rely on Mahrez. 

We also need a big holding midfielder, who can knock a few CMs off the ball, control a high ball into the middle, hold it up and pass it to DD who then can pass to either wing, or down the centre to Vardy/Musa - or a big CF as plan B. Kante wasn't big, but he did that role well - we'll see if Mendy can do it. Why do I want big/strong? Because we need a bit of grit in the middle, we need someone who can support Huth/Wes at set pieces, and offer something different. Right now, like Mahrez, we are too obvious, we have one dimension.

What he needs to learn to do is play a pass when he has 3 men on him. Too often he ends up losing the ball because he is crowded out, when we must have 2 players elsewhere with no one marking them.

3 hours ago, Merging Cultures said:

Agree with your CM sentiments. We aren't going to Replace Kante with like for like, I truly beleive he is it replacement, but having a big CM will kill 2 birds with one stone in terms of defending at set pieces. Assuming the lad can header, and especially if Ulloa is not playing. This is why W. Carvalho would be ideal.

Latest update on the rumoured situation, word for word from GFFN podcast, not in written form anywhere AFAIK.

"Mahrez's camp are increasingly pessimistic about a move away from the Foxes this summer despite his continued desire to join an established member of the European elite. Arsenal have had at least one non-written offer rejected by Leicester this summer and remain in touch with the players entourage but do not appear ready to make the offer of around 50 million pounds that would give Mahrez a feasible reason to break his previous promise of not forcing a move away. Chelsea have also tried and failed in recent weeks as well, and time is running out for both clubs and Leicester is not budging for now."

Take it with a pinch of salt if you want, but this seems believable and in keeping with previous rumours + ITK reports.

Arsenal are currently saving money for a possible incoming expensive striker, so this may blow up again in the last few days of the window if that falls through.

26 minutes ago, brucey said:

Latest update on the rumoured situation, word for word from GFFN podcast, not in written form anywhere AFAIK.

"Mahrez's camp are increasingly pessimistic about a move away from the Foxes this summer despite his continued desire to join an established member of the European elite. Arsenal have had at least one non-written offer rejected by Leicester this summer and remain in touch with the players entourage but do not appear ready to make the offer of around 50 million pounds that would give Mahrez a feasible reason to break his previous promise of not forcing a move away. Chelsea have also tried and failed in recent weeks as well, and time is running out for both clubs and Leicester is not budging for now."

Take it with a pinch of salt if you want, but this seems believable and in keeping with previous rumours + ITK reports.

Arsenal are currently saving money for a possible incoming expensive striker, so this may blow up again in the last few days of the window if that falls through.

Hope this is true or else we really are running the risk of being weaker this season than last. Which must be a first for reigning Premier League Champions.

I'm confident that there will be irons in the fire but it's always a waiting game, usually clubs won't sell until they have a replacement lined up, it's a chain that sometimes moves very slowly 

1 minute ago, MikeyT said:

Riyad Mahrez's heart is not longer at Leicester and he is looking to leave the club. (Source: BBC Sport)

Which appeared in some paper

Personally I'd play Albrighton there & Schlupp on the left - He'll soon get his head right, especially when Champions League rolls around

31 minutes ago, MikeyT said:

Riyad Mahrez's heart is not longer at Leicester and he is looking to leave the club. (Source: BBC Sport)

Not your fault mikey but this is nonsense. It had become accepted fact on Twitter this morning. Gerry taggert on radio Leicester said after Saturday's game that he didn't think mahrez' heart was in it any more.

this was tweeted as the post you made with BBC sport after it. Retweeted a few times. No one bothers to check where it has come from. Has now become 'fact' with many more reputable sites retweeting it.

just shows how easy it is to make a pundits opinion become 'fact'.

His body language in past couple of games the worst I ever seen him.

If he wants to go, time is not really on his side tbh.

No better prospect to be in CL as a first-choice player in team away from here.

http://www.getfootballnewsfrance.com/2016/riyad-mahrez-messi-congratulated-us-for-the-title/

Interview post-Community Shield, pre-Hull.

Can you imagine playing elsewhere after tasting the Premier League?

It is a super league and I would like to stay here as long as possible. Now, there are two or three clubs in the world, that if they come for me, it definitely makes you think, if you understand what I am trying to say.

By being a star in England, you are also exposed to the tabloids. How are you dealing with that?

I do not overthink things too much. I am not in that world. I play football, and then I go home. It is true that, in England, they are crazy at that level. Last Sunday (7th August), after a match, we found ourselves in the same hotel as Chelsea and they came up with something about that. They find the smallest thing to enter into your life. I know how to deal with it. I am not David Beckham either.

What annoys me is that with the transfer window being open unless he scores a hattrick every game people will say his head is turned. Should really shut the window at 1st game of season apart from say 1 emergency transfer.

He wasn't great against Hull but the whole side was poor. He had a few games last season he went missing. Difference is he's quality so when he does fire he's world class

3 hours ago, kingpower said:

Hope this is true or else we really are running the risk of being weaker this season than last. Which must be a first for reigning Premier League Champions.

I'm confident that there will be irons in the fire but it's always a waiting game, usually clubs won't sell until they have a replacement lined up, it's a chain that sometimes moves very slowly 

I don't know about that first statement...did you see Chelsea play last season? 

But yes - Mahrez must stay.

Archived