Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
AKCJ

Mahrez - Chelsea/Arsenal

Said it many a time but it's the typical English fear of flair. Vardy was comfortably worse than him on Saturday yet no-one would've said a word.

I'll concede his celebration was very tame, I'm hoping that it's because he thinks we should be focusing on the game and going for the kill against a side we should be beating.

Mahrez has been mature throughout his career. Turned down PSG and Marseille for a Ligue 2 club with a reputation of developing players in Le Havre, something so many players wouldn't even consider doing yet the game would be a lot better for it if they did. Joined us over Torino (who I'm sure were fighting for Europe at the time) when we were in the Championship. Always truly believed in himself to make it, hence why I maintain he'll only leave us for a Barcelona kind of side when he truly feels he's ready.

Definitely deserves a new contract, on at least the money Vardy's on. He's that good.

Now don't go and make me look a clown Riyad and join Chelsea.

People questioning Mahrez desire, motivation and commitment etc. actually know sweet FA and neither do I. What I do know is that I had to endure other attacking wide men like Mo Sylla, Josh Low and Kelvin Etuhu in recent years so I'm grateful for even an out of sorts Mahrez. 

1 hour ago, Ricey said:

Some fans reactions to Mahrez recently have been nothing short of disgraceful.

Let's look at this from the outside. A Championship club unearths a gem, who then helps the club win the Premier League, becoming PFA Player of the Year in the process. This player then refuses to force a move away despite plenty of interest. However, after ONE game in which he wasn't at his best some fans are furious with him and want him to be sold.

Mahrez wasn't even that bad against Hull, he had 3 players on him at all times. He is putting in just as much effort as last season, but because people are scared that he wants to leave they are reading way too much into things.

He is the most technically gifted player we've ever had. Enjoy him.

I am guessing you missed pre-season?

1 hour ago, Ricey said:

Let's look at this from the outside. A Championship club unearths a gem, who then helps the club win the Premier League, becoming PFA Player of the Year in the process. This player then refuses to force a move away despite plenty of interest. However, after ONE game in which he wasn't at his best some fans are furious with him and want him to be sold.

Mahrez wasn't even that bad against Hull, he had 3 players on him at all times. He is putting in just as much effort as last season, but because people are scared that he wants to leave they are reading way too much into things.

That's the fickle, hyped up nature of modern football. It's all about flavour of the months.

What's the right way to be a fan though? We all agree that fans have to support first and foremost.

Should we dwell on the past and show patience with players who were involved in this monumental achievement? If so, for how long?

Should our sights be set higher and are we now entitled to expect performances that come close to last season's?

Obviously, it's an overreaction when we've only played one competitive fixture and a glorified friendly, but no doubt these questions become more relevant along the season.

1 hour ago, Ricey said:

I agree with your post's sentiments. 

However we are told that there has been no enquiries and no bids for him, in which case he in no way can force a move. 

3 minutes ago, shen said:

Why do pre-season performances matter?

Wasnt so much his performance (but yeh preseason does matter for things like fitness :| ) but more the look of 'I am going to fecking sulk cos i am not allowed to leave' slapped all over his chevy chase.

2 minutes ago, m4DD0gg said:

Wasnt so much his performance (but yeh preseason does matter for things like fitness :| ) but more the look of 'I am going to fecking sulk cos i am not allowed to leave' slapped all over his chevy chase.

Or maybe people want to read that from his performances/demeanor. There are tons of potential reasons for him not being scintillating in pre-season - private life, jet lag/lack of recuperation, inability to cope with the added attention, lack of progress on new contract etc. He's come out and said he would only leave for a select few clubs, of which we know Barcelona is one and assume Real Madrid is the another. Why are people still speculating that he wants to leave?

People put up with Mahrez going missing last season and lacking effort because most of the time even if he was a waste of space somebody else popped up with the goods. We knew his worth to the long term success of the team and you take the rough with with the smooth with a player like him when you know he's going to win you so many points.

When you start your season with a display like we did last week it's a bit different. Everyone was awful but people will pick on him because he's most evidently not giving his all and when we need to dig in he isn't going to do that. He doesn't tackle, track back or use any strength at the best of times but when you're getting embarrassed by Hull it's going to be highlighted more. Butt he also had his head down a lot and gave up on things quicker than usual. We can only speculate as to why that was.

I don't think anyone can doubt his quality but his lack of work rate will draw criticism when we're not doing so well.

31 minutes ago, NotTheMarketLeader said:

I agree with your post's sentiments. 

However we are told that there has been no enquiries and no bids for him, in which case he in no way can force a move. 

If he wanted to leave he would have told the club and the offers would have come flooding in.

Clubs don't just bid for players left, right and centre. He is under contract and has no clause, so there's a large stumbling block there until the point he turns around and says he wants out.

Don't think anyone can complain about Mahrez on Saturday, the whole team were utter shite, Vardy was clearly worse than Riyad along with most of the others especially Anonymous King and for some reason it appears our defence/midfield have been coached by Pulis in pre-season on how to play 'lump it up'.

This Mahrez not tracking back against Hull is a load of bull, he spent half the match trying to help the defense (and caused a few fouls!). I cannot believe how fickle and embarrassing some of our fans are. Poor guy had Kingy next to him slowing the game down and offering nothing. Musa and Vardy weren't connecting and Mahrez had to deal with being double teamed the whole game. Kante made his game a lot easier, by making himself available or freeing up room for Drinkwater. 

45 minutes ago, Kitchandro said:

When you start your season with a display like we did last week it's a bit different. Everyone was awful but people will pick on him because he's most evidently not giving his all and when we need to dig in he isn't going to do that. He doesn't tackle, track back or use any strength at the best of times but when you're getting embarrassed by Hull it's going to be highlighted more. Butt he also had his head down a lot and gave up on things quicker than usual. We can only speculate as to why that was.

I disagree that he doesn't track back at the best of times. He does what's necessary and when needed a lot of the time. Usually Drinkwater would help out Simpson last season as the midfield shifted to the right in defensive situations, allowing Mahrez the time to get back into position. If Drinkwater wasn't there to cover, Mahrez would not shirk from sprinting back to help.

1 hour ago, Kitchandro said:

People put up with Mahrez going missing last season and lacking effort because most of the time even if he was a waste of space somebody else popped up with the goods. We knew his worth to the long term success of the team and you take the rough with with the smooth with a player like him when you know he's going to win you so many points.

I don't think anyone can doubt his quality but his lack of work rate will draw criticism when we're not doing so well.

That is the go to comment yet it is completely false.

People seriously don't have a clue or a watching a different game.

1 minute ago, whoareyaaa said:

That is the go to comment yet it is completely false.

People seriously don't have a clue or a watching a different game.

Yeah agreed, it was the same with Knockaert. Absolute myth that they don't defend, there's a difference between not defending and doing it badly. Mahrez helps out regularly but there are times he's poor at doing so but that doesn't mean he's not trying to. He's just a damn sight better at wreaking havoc going forward and provided over 30 goals last season and possibly was directly or indirectly at fault with about 3 goals the other way. Well fcuk me what an absolute disgrace you are Riyad.

Some of our fans don't deserve him, I really hope they get stuck in a time warp where Josh Low pays them a visit all day every day.

Mahrez defends plenty. Second half of last season he was much improved on his tracking back and tackling. He's a ****ing attacking winger, not his fault really if those behind him are not doing their jobs properly either. I'm not sure how people expect Mahrez to be a flair player, attacking winger, goalscorer and John Terry. 

2 hours ago, SecretPro said:

Mahrez defends plenty. Second half of last season he was much improved on his tracking back and tackling. He's a ****ing attacking winger, not his fault really if those behind him are not doing their jobs properly either. I'm not sure how people expect Mahrez to be a flair player, attacking winger, goalscorer and John Terry. 

He's not the best at tackling and likely never will be but that's not the only way to defend a situation.

I agree with you......As you have said he's a flair player and an attacking winger and that's what he's all about. In my book as along as he makes an effort to track back and put some pressure on, I'm satisfied and in no way concerned whether he improves his tackling. He'll often win the ball if he reads the player right but we must realize his strengths are in attack, one on one and laying the ball off to Vardy or another forward. Fantastic player that will have some off days. He ain't Messi

3 hours ago, RoyFox said:

This Mahrez not tracking back against Hull is a load of bull, he spent half the match trying to help the defense (and caused a few fouls!). I cannot believe how fickle and embarrassing some of our fans are. Poor guy had Kingy next to him slowing the game down and offering nothing. Musa and Vardy weren't connecting and Mahrez had to deal with being double teamed the whole game. Kante made his game a lot easier, by making himself available or freeing up room for Drinkwater. 

I found that accusation bizarre too and if anything, I was annoyed Mahrez was tracking back to make things happen rather than trusting those in midfield.

Archived