Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
DB11

Smart Home Technology

31 minutes ago, DB11 said:

I am just curious and looking into the possibility of investing in Smart Home technology, such as thermostats and lighting to begin with. Has anyone here used such technology and got any feedback for it?

I'm looking at the Hive thermostat and the Philips Hue wireless lighting

I've got some Hue lighting and it's expensive but pretty good. Some of the colours look more vibrant than others but a cool piece of kit.

9 hours ago, Costock_Fox said:

I've got some Hue lighting and it's expensive but pretty good. Some of the colours look more vibrant than others but a cool piece of kit.

As well as the app do traditional light switches work as well? I'm thinking if guests come round they won't have the app but you still want them to be able to turn the lights on and off. 

1 hour ago, DB11 said:

As well as the app do traditional light switches work as well? I'm thinking if guests come round they won't have the app but you still want them to be able to turn the lights on and off. 

The switch will work like a normal switch does eg turn the light on normal colour but they wont be able to dim, change the colour etc.

7 minutes ago, Costock_Fox said:

The switch will work like a normal switch does eg turn the light on normal colour but they wont be able to dim, change the colour etc.

I've seen how you install the bridge and link that up that's no issue with technology side.... stupid question though is installing the bulb as simple as regular bulbs ie. just untwist the existing one and replace it with one of these? lol

53 minutes ago, DB11 said:

I've seen how you install the bridge and link that up that's no issue with technology side.... stupid question though is installing the bulb as simple as regular bulbs ie. just untwist the existing one and replace it with one of these? lol

Haha yeah just normal screw in bulbs. Don't make the mistake I made and buy just the white starter kit though if you want coloured bulbs. Sounds obvious but John Lewis were beyond useless when I was asking them about these.

8 minutes ago, Costock_Fox said:

Haha yeah just normal screw in bulbs. Don't make the mistake I made and buy just the white starter kit though if you want coloured bulbs. Sounds obvious but John Lewis were beyond useless when I was asking them about these.

I saw the different prices and it took me a while to work out that one was just white, one was white but that could be dimmed to different levels, and the third was the coloured dimming ones.

Have you gone for a full set up throughout the house or just use them in say the living room or bedroom?

1 hour ago, DB11 said:

I saw the different prices and it took me a while to work out that one was just white, one was white but that could be dimmed to different levels, and the third was the coloured dimming ones.

Have you gone for a full set up throughout the house or just use them in say the living room or bedroom?

Iv got them in my living room and also in my kitchen. To be honest I haven't used them in a while but I need to plug the hub back in.

Just now, Costock_Fox said:

Iv got them in my living room and also in my kitchen. To be honest I haven't used them in a while but I need to plug the hub back in.

Have you bought the Hue switch or dimmer or are you satisfied with the combination of the app and the pre-existing light switches?

Or did you install the light switches along with the bulbs at the same time?

14 minutes ago, DB11 said:

Have you bought the Hue switch or dimmer or are you satisfied with the combination of the app and the pre-existing light switches?

Or did you install the light switches along with the bulbs at the same time?

I just bought the colour bulbs and the bridge so I just use with my existing light switch. No need to buy a dimmer as that's what the app does.

7 hours ago, Manwell Pablo said:

HAL 9000. 2001 a Space Odyssey. I.e what will happen when the smart homes get smarter than us and decide they are going to beat us to death with our ironing boards. 

Always thought ironing boards would be the death of me to be honest.

Archived