Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
LanguedocFox

PLAYSTATIONNETWORK Fraud?

I am not sure if this is the right place to post, so forgive me if I have it wrong. My latest cash-card statement shows three similar charges along the lines of "PLAYSTATIONNETWORK INTERNET GB 20.000000 EUR at 1.18413       £16.89": the difference is the amount (two x 20€ and 1 x 30€) and the exchange rate. I've reported it to my bank, so I assume I will get a full refund.

Thing is, I don't actually own a Playstation, so I assume this is some kind of a hack. However, I am very careful about giving out the account details (only to reputable companies etc), so I am wondering if this is the result of data theft from one of the big vendors or banks (my bank is Nationwide, and they have reported nothing suspicious).

My question is, has anyone else had a similar rip-off?

First and foremost, buy a shielded wallet.  One of the biggest scams currently is people using your cards in your wallet for contactless payments. They only have to more or less walk by you and you can be had for a value of up to £30. This doesn't require a pin number or anything, just a swipe.  

22 minutes ago, kristianity77 said:

First and foremost, buy a shielded wallet.  One of the biggest scams currently is people using your cards in your wallet for contactless payments. They only have to more or less walk by you and you can be had for a value of up to £30. This doesn't require a pin number or anything, just a swipe.  

It's right to be cautious but I work for a bank and haven't seen a single instance of this happening.

Gaming websites are a common area of fraud, contact your bank and they will sort it. They probably got your card details from a skimmer on an ATM.

10 hours ago, LanguedocFox said:

I am not sure if this is the right place to post, so forgive me if I have it wrong. My latest cash-card statement shows three similar charges along the lines of "PLAYSTATIONNETWORK INTERNET GB 20.000000 EUR at 1.18413       £16.89": the difference is the amount (two x 20€ and 1 x 30€) and the exchange rate. I've reported it to my bank, so I assume I will get a full refund.

Thing is, I don't actually own a Playstation, so I assume this is some kind of a hack. However, I am very careful about giving out the account details (only to reputable companies etc), so I am wondering if this is the result of data theft from one of the big vendors or banks (my bank is Nationwide, and they have reported nothing suspicious).

My question is, has anyone else had a similar rip-off?

The payment will be able to be traced but it would require the bank and relevant Playstation department talking to each other.  Sony will be able to trace the payment to the machine that the purchase was made on and you would think supply the information to the bank/police.

3 hours ago, sk3since03 said:

20% price hike been comfired by Sony too for Ps+ ! 

Might be time to say goodbye to the ps4 and consoles for good! They are miles behind PC anyway.. far too inferior 

The price hike is for the US and Canada only, and it just brings the prices up to the same as people in Europe are paying. They've been getting it cheaper than everybody else since it launched.

36 minutes ago, MrSpaM said:

The price hike is for the US and Canada only, and it just brings the prices up to the same as people in Europe are paying. They've been getting it cheaper than everybody else since it launched.

Oh right fair enough thanks for that ! About time then! 

Archived