Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
MrSpaM

Playstation 4 Pro Announced

Thoughts?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-37302955

Sony has announced a more powerful version of its PlayStation 4 console at an event in New York.

The PS4 Pro will be able to render games with ultra-high definition 4K graphics, more detailed than 1080p HD.

A cosmetically redesigned, slimmer PlayStation 4 was also announced and will be sold at a cheaper price.

One analyst said releasing an upgraded console so soon after the PS4's debut in 2013 took the company into "unchartered territory".

Sony typically makes cosmetic changes to the PlayStation between major releases, but this will be the first time it will have two consoles on sale with significantly different graphics capabilities within the same generation.

"We realised that for the very highly-discriminating gamer there is always a desire for advancement, and they want it in this generation," said Sony's Andrew House.

Games displayed in 4K have four times as many pixels in each frame as 1080p HD images, making them look crisper on a compatible television.

Since rendering 4K requires more computing power than HD, Sony said the PS4 Pro would have more than double the graphics processing power of the PS4.

However, unlike Microsoft's Xbox One S, the PS4 Pro will not be able to play 4K Blu-ray movies - a move which has disappointed some fans.

"The PlayStation is primarily a gaming platform, and everything we do is to make the gaming experience as seamless as possible," Jim Ryan, head of PlayStation Europe, told the BBC.

"We recognise that the trend these days is to use streaming services, and we have a great partnership with Netflix offering 4K movies in its app.

"Both PlayStations continue to support Blu-ray discs."

The PS4 was released less than three years ago, alongside rival Microsoft's Xbox One.

Microsoft has already released a slimmer iteration of the Xbox One that can play 4K videos, but it cannot render ultra-high definition games.

However, it is developing a forthcoming console, dubbed Project Scorpio, that will support virtual reality and 4K games.

"Sony seem to be turning their back on the old console economics of cycles," said Ed Barton, principal analyst at the consultancy Ovum.

"They used to get the core fans in first, and then really make big money when the price of the hardware dropped and appealed to the expanded market.

"Now, they are giving the hardcore gamers a reason to upgrade early."

Sony says the PS4 Pro will be released in November, and games will be compatible with the standard PS4 console.

"PS4 Pro is not intended the blur the lines between console generations," said Sony's Mark Cerny.

"Instead the vision is to take the PS4 experience to extraordinary new levels".

Sony also said it would release a software upgrade to enable high dynamic range (HDR) on all editions of the PS4.

HDR allows a much larger number of colours to be shown. In addition, because it takes advantage of a greater range of brightness levels between black and white, pictures can appear to be more detailed.

Sony is currently thought to be leading the console race, after announcing in May that it had sold 40 million PS4s.

Microsoft said it had sold 10 million Xbox One devices in 2014, but has since stopped reporting its sales figures.

"The biggest advantage that the PS4 has is momentum in the current generation of consoles," said Mr Barton.

"But nobody buys new consoles based on technical specifications, they buy them for the entertainment they enable. They need a strong launch line up of games, or they'll be selling it to a limited number of people."

2 minutes ago, Manwell Pablo said:

I reckon I'm not paying that for a console that is going to be eclipsed power wise by the Scorpio in less than 12 months. 

And TBH the only people that would are fan boys.

I'd reserve those thoughts until we know how much the Scorpio is going to cost tbh

1 minute ago, MrSpaM said:

I'd reserve those thoughts until we know how much the Scorpio is going to cost tbh

Would have to be bloody expensive for me not to see it as the obvious choice. Like over £500-£600

And even then I think it's time to start looking at PC's. Not paying around what I paid for the PS4 in the first place for what is basically an upgrade with about 4 games I want to buy in 4k.

6 minutes ago, Manwell Pablo said:

Would have to be bloody expensive for me not to see it as the obvious choice. Like over £500-£600

And even then I think it's time to start looking at PC's. Not paying around what I paid for the PS4 in the first place for what is basically an upgrade with about 4 games I want to buy in 4k.

I honestly wouldn't be surprised if the Scorpio is going to cost in excess of £600

14 minutes ago, Manwell Pablo said:

I reckon I'm not paying that for a console that is going to be eclipsed power wise by the Scorpio in less than 12 months. 

What's the Scorpio, Manwell?

14 minutes ago, Swan Lesta said:

Okay - and it's going to blow Sony out of the water?

(I know nothing about gaming)

The long and short of it is

The PS4 and Xbox One released at similar times

Sony have just announced an upgraded PS4 that supports gaming at 4k resolution and better visuals for existing games

Microsoft have also announced a new upgrade to their xbox one that is capable of 4k gaming, and also 4k blu rays, but it isn't coming out until next year

Both of the consoles are backwards compatible with the existing systems

The main argument comes from the fact that the old systems are always going to be supported and there aren't going to be any games exclusive to either of these upgraded models. So they are still going to be held back graphics wise regardless until we actually move on to next gen

This basically means you can buy either the Scorpio, or the PS4 pro, but you are still going to be playing the same games as Xbox One users and PS4 users, just with slightly enhanced graphics and framerate. Games will have options for better graphics or higher resolutions. It's basically the difference between running games at medium and high settings on PC.

The scorpio is rumoured to be more powerful than the PS4 Pro, but it makes you wonder what that extra power is going to help being as the games are still held back by the original xbox one

At the end of the day, you can buy a pc for £600 that plays games on ultra settings, you can also buy a PC for £2000 that plays games on ultra settings, but PC's have the benefits of upgrades. These two 'upgraded' consoles are going to become obsolete in about 3 years.

5 hours ago, Manwell Pablo said:

Coming in from a non fan boy stance myself, I won't be bothering either.  :thumbup:

Amazon have the PS4 Pro listed as £349.99 and it still only comes with 1TB storage.  Strange decision.  Would have thought it would make sense to keep bumping up the storage - that is the biggest problem with the PS4 currently, especially when you download the monthly PS+ games, the space soon runs out.

Before upgrading consoles, people should be looking at their panels.  Not much point getting one of these consoles with a panel which is sub £800.  I reckon you'd need a minimum of a Panasonic 50DX750 or equivalent to notice any difference.  These were retailing at £1200 but are now down to £950.

So all in all, an expensive outlay, for minimal difference = not much point. 

As for Microsoft's offering, they have been well and truly hammered this cycle with their X1.  Perhaps they can bounce back with Scorpio, and I'll switch allegiances once again!  ;)

PS4 is my last console I think. Games are a rip off, and they keep coming out with versions which still put looks before function. 6months and the PS4 pro will be blowing like a hair dryer and needing new thermal paste

Ps4 ****ed up. No blu-ray player and more expensive than Xbox one slim which has a bluray player? How does that work. Sony have got too cocky with their success, it took like 3 years for them to give us friend online notifications. 

Back to Xbox next time, or PC. 

Surely the main reason to upgrade your console is to be able to purchase games that can perform feats beyond what the current generation is capable of.  To that end what's the point of releasing a more powerful console if the games on it are still going to need to be compatible with the original version, essentially holding back the potential of the new system?

On 8 September 2016 at 11:43, Sol thewall Bamba said:

Should have focused on making the normal version run at 1080p 60fps stably, they've just skipped an gone to 4K, meaning I'll need a new £500 TV on top of the new console. No thanks. 

Wouldnt suprise me if they came out and said you need a Sony TV 

Sony dropped the ball there, or have they. Still light years ahead in the race and no doubt MS are lying about the Scorpio, the power they claim you are looking at a 700 quid console.

Still funny that the company that own the patent for Blue Ray are not putting one in their new flagship console.

Archived