Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Finnegan

Reporting a DDoS attack.

Has anyone ever reported and investigated a DDoS attack and gotten any joy?

I'm aware I should contact virgin but I don't know how I'd get through useless customer service staff to an IT professional with a clue.

I also don't know if they'd take it seriously given how common they are.

Notoriously difficult to investigate, it is unlikely you will find who pressed the button for the attack.  Report the matter to Action Fraud (Google them, you report it online) they collate everything and will pass it to your local police force if there are lines of investigation worth following.

DDoS is still a common attack - what were the circumstances?  Did you lose much money/custom?  How long did it last?  Was it your own server that was attacked or are you hosted by another company (Virgin I guess?).  The bigger the loss, the more serious it is taken.  Also, are you a business owner?  If so, do you have a disgruntled ex employee that you suspect could be behind it?  If you have some evidence as to who it was then that should be followed up - it is a crime contrary to the Computer Misuse Act.

Most attacks are caused by spotty teenagers getting their kicks in their bedroom and are a minor irritant and go unreported as they only last a few minutes.  Some are a real pain in the ass though and can lead to high profile cases involving millions of pounds of lost  revenue.

Good luck, I'd be interested to hear how you get on.

Dont want to derail your topic, but this came out yesterday and i thought it quite amusing and relevant.

This year was Oz's first real attempt a doing the census "online"... it was brought down for 2 days due to a ddos attack and this was todays news lol....

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-10-25/turning-router-off-and-on-could-have-prevented-census-outage/7963916

10 hours ago, nnfox said:

Notoriously difficult to investigate, it is unlikely you will find who pressed the button for the attack.  Report the matter to Action Fraud (Google them, you report it online) they collate everything and will pass it to your local police force if there are lines of investigation worth following.

DDoS is still a common attack - what were the circumstances?  Did you lose much money/custom?  How long did it last?  Was it your own server that was attacked or are you hosted by another company (Virgin I guess?).  The bigger the loss, the more serious it is taken.  Also, are you a business owner?  If so, do you have a disgruntled ex employee that you suspect could be behind it?  If you have some evidence as to who it was then that should be followed up - it is a crime contrary to the Computer Misuse Act.

Most attacks are caused by spotty teenagers getting their kicks in their bedroom and are a minor irritant and go unreported as they only last a few minutes.  Some are a real pain in the ass though and can lead to high profile cases involving millions of pounds of lost  revenue.

Worse

He lost a game of FIFA UT.

10 hours ago, nnfox said:

No, it wasn't serious, it was done by some silly little boy because he was losing on the Xbox.

If it was a major issue, I'd go to the police.

I just want to be able to report him to his isp with any kind of proof. Because, yknow, **** that.

Unfortunately there is very little your ISP or the authorities can do about something like this. Your ISP would most likely just ask you to restart your router so you get a new IP address and leave it at that.

DDOS attacks are done using botnets, so tracing them to their source is pretty much impossible

2 hours ago, Manwell Pablo said:

You were playing this guy at FIFA?

Players section in the friends menu on your Xbox get his user name report him to Microsoft. Get at him that way. 

I have reported him to Microsoft but they'll only ban him if lots of people complain.

They can probably look and see that I lost connection but only my isp would be able to confirm it was a DDoS attack and even if I give Microsoft proof of that, unless I could provide HIS IP also then it wouldn't matter.

1 hour ago, stix said:

Excuse the retardiness....but what even is this? 

You flood a target IP with a surge of useless data that, long story short, boots them off the internet. The whole household, that is. Requires a reset of your router/modem.

In FIFA terms, it means that instead of just quitting and giving the other person the win, you boot them, they lose, they get the DNF and you get a loss but no DNF.

30 minutes ago, Costock_Fox said:

Finnegan has been fondled electronically.

Basically.

Archived