Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

Lap / Desktop sharing the laptop monitor

Can it be done.

I've got a laptop with windows 10 and a desktop with Windows 7

Is it possible to use the laptop monitor for the desktop and be able to switch between the two?

I do have a monitor but Use the laptop 99% of the time and only need the desktop as it's the only one compatible with my printer/scanner so I don't want to have it set up with the monitor taking up room I haven't got.

17 minutes ago, davieG said:

Can it be done.

I've got a laptop with windows 10 and a desktop with Windows 7

Is it possible to use the laptop monitor for the desktop and be able to switch between the two?

I do have a monitor but Use the laptop 99% of the time and only need the desktop as it's the only one compatible with my printer/scanner so I don't want to have it set up with the monitor taking up room I haven't got.

You want to stream your desktop to your lap?

Steam link would do that for you

http://store.steampowered.com/app/353380/

If both computers are running Windows 10 and have the recent anniversary update installed you can do it. Its called Project to you PC and should already be installed. I must admit I havent used it myself but sounds similar to Windows remote desktop that was removed in Windows 7.... Both PC's will need to be on the same home network.

http://www.windowscentral.com/hands-project-pc-feature-windows-10-anniversary-update

EDIT : Sorry, didn't read your post fully, doubt it'll work between W10 & W7

8 hours ago, DB11 said:

Keeping it simple you could just plug a cable between the two lol

8 hours ago, DB11 said:

Keeping it simple you could just plug a cable between the two lol

I tried that and when I look ip the display settings I do get the 2 screen symbol but it unstable and keeps disappearing also I couldn't see anyway to select one screen over the other.

17 hours ago, HankMarvin said:

Just install teamviewer on both, change the password on the pc teamviewer so you always know it, username/code is not dynamic so doesn't change, then just connect a remote session from the laptop.

Will work regardless of monitor.

Thanks, this seems to be doing the job, not found out how to change passwords in fact I've ended up with 4 different ones lol But as I'm only using it to mirror my pc and to transfer the occasional document it's not a big deal.

On teamviewer on the pc you can do it this way so it accepts all lan connections 

By default this feature is deactivated because software firewalls may open an acceptance dialog when configured this way. To activate the LAN mode in TeamViewer full version and Host module: In the menu click on Extras and then on Options. On the General tab activate Accept incoming LANconnections.

or

https://support.swingcatalyst.com/hc/en-us/articles/200967998-How-to-set-permanent-password-in-TeamViewer

4 hours ago, davieG said:

Thanks, this seems to be doing the job, not found out how to change passwords in fact I've ended up with 4 different ones lol But as I'm only using it to mirror my pc and to transfer the occasional document it's not a big deal.

Otherwise it's a pain because every time you reboot it changes, which would obviously be a problem with no screen 

1 hour ago, HankMarvin said:

Otherwise it's a pain because every time you reboot it changes, which would obviously be a problem with no screen 

I've  only rebooted once and it seemed ok but I'll  check  it out tomorrow to see what happens. 

THANKS for the advice.

Archived