Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Carl the Llama

Keyboards

So I've been keyboard shopping a bit lately because I figured it's about time I got myself a keyboard with backlit keys for all the time I spend using the pc with the lights off (stop that, I know what you're thinking) and I was surprised to see just how much variation there is: Membrane/mechanical, rgb lighting, anti-ghosting, macro keys etc.

I've already decided what I want and bought one (this little fella in case anyone's interested - sure the symbols are US format but I can always buy the correct buttons if it turns out to be a genuine issue) because it has a gentle white back-lighting instead of obnoxious rainbowvision, it has n-key rollover and it didn't cost a week's wages... but it got me wondering:  Does anyone have a specific love for certain types of keyboard?  I gather that mechanicals are what people 'in the know' get, but there's so many different switch types, how the hell are you supposed to know what the right ones are?  Call me naive but I genuinely don't see how there can be that much difference between manufacturers of such a basic component... Take the one I linked which I'm using now and which apparently has copycat switches: I press the button, the letter pressed registers on the screen as I press it, what more is there?  Tbh if it weren't for the lack of backlit keys I'd still be using my microsoft wireless 3000 membrane keyboard which occasionally has missed-presses but re-positioning the dongle always fixes it so that's more down to a wireless vs wired issue, another reason I bought this board incidentally.

So who out there absolutely loves their Cherry mx red or whatever and is tearing their hair out at that last couple of sentences? :D

I have a Logitech G15 (old now) that is backlit as well as having macro keys. Without a doubt my most used macro key is my email address - how often do you type it in on the Internet at least with the key I know it's correct 100% of the time and quick :D

I have a Corsair Strafe RGB mechanical keyboard, with cherry MX silent switches. it's brilliant. I will never use a membrane keyboard again. I did have a Strix keyboard with MX red switches that I hated. the keys were too set in to the board, and it was impossible to clean the dust out and I got a lot of errors when typing as  a result. So go with what youu like, get good switches and easy cleaning and you wont go wrong.

The one you linked looks shit. If you want mechanical, expect to pay a bit more, or buy twice.

3 hours ago, Beliall said:

I have a Corsair Strafe RGB mechanical keyboard, with cherry MX silent switches. it's brilliant. I will never use a membrane keyboard again. I did have a Strix keyboard with MX red switches that I hated. the keys were too set in to the board, and it was impossible to clean the dust out and I got a lot of errors when typing as  a result. So go with what youu like, get good switches and easy cleaning and you wont go wrong.

The one you linked looks shit. If you want mechanical, expect to pay a bit more, or buy twice.

:D I knew there'd be at least one comment like that.  What makes you think it's shit? I can confirm that the keys come out for cleaning and slot back in easily, the lighting's functional and indeed customisable and when you hit a key it registers immediately.  Other than absolutely needing a dedicated numpad (this board has one as a secondary function but you have to temporarily sacrifice letters to use it) or macro keys, why would you pay more?  I suppose it might fall apart or stop working within a month but I'll have to cross that bridge when I come to it.

I assume that's most peoples gripe with non-Cherry switches, that they'll fail quickly. Whether it's true I've no idea.

Couldn't live without a numpad either.

8 hours ago, DB11 said:

I have a Logitech G15 (old now) that is backlit as well as having macro keys. Without a doubt my most used macro key is my email address - how often do you type it in on the Internet at least with the key I know it's correct 100% of the time and quick :D

Nice idea, can finally have a use for mine now lol 

2 hours ago, Carl the Llama said:

:D I knew there'd be at least one comment like that.  What makes you think it's shit? I can confirm that the keys come out for cleaning and slot back in easily, the lighting's functional and indeed customisable and when you hit a key it registers immediately.  Other than absolutely needing a dedicated numpad (this board has one as a secondary function but you have to temporarily sacrifice letters to use it) or macro keys, why would you pay more?  I suppose it might fall apart or stop working within a month but I'll have to cross that bridge when I come to it.

The price. Those switches are gonna be poor quality

8 hours ago, Beliall said:

The price. Those switches are gonna be poor quality

You could be right, but at the end of the day whichever switch-set we're talking about it's still a set of little pieces of plastic, the manufacturing cost of which can't be very high at all, so personally I require more evidence for the notion that one set must necessarily cost far more than another.  Besides, you're talking to a guy who bought a set of 2.1 speakers for £35 back in 2008/9 and who still uses them because afaic they provide 2.1 sound just as well as any other equivalent speaker system I've experienced (indeed I've just looked them up and today the exact same system will set you back £70 - double the cost, maybe they were on offer at the time).  The point I'm making is that price isn't everything, just look at Apple products!

4 hours ago, Carl the Llama said:

You could be right, but at the end of the day whichever switch-set we're talking about it's still a set of little pieces of plastic, the manufacturing cost of which can't be very high at all, so personally I require more evidence for the notion that one set must necessarily cost far more than another.  Besides, you're talking to a guy who bought a set of 2.1 speakers for £35 back in 2008/9 and who still uses them because afaic they provide 2.1 sound just as well as any other equivalent speaker system I've experienced (indeed I've just looked them up and today the exact same system will set you back £70 - double the cost, maybe they were on offer at the time).  The point I'm making is that price isn't everything, just look at Apple products!

Its a good point and hope you're right. i just wouldnt pick that particular keyboard, overall it looks like something that wont last. not saying you should go out and spend 100's though. you dont need to.

Look at this bad boy for £45

http://www.corsair.com/en-gb/raptor-k30-gaming-keyboard-ch-9000224-uk

74FE5E2386CE4EA6982F841F1619DD11.ashx?w=780

(Not mechanical but high quality)

Archived