Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
STUHILL

Musa - Opinions so far

15 minutes ago, MattP said:

Given he wasn't even on the bench last night if Shaky does get the job I doubt we'll be seeing much more of Musa.

Gray didn't start either and most people cried about that, but it doesn't mean he won't start other games. Sometimes the manager has to do what's right for that given moment. Musa faced a lot of critisism, he could easily have just been taking him out of the spotlight.

I've said it all season, I'll judge all of them when people we know can perform start to do so. If our proven good players aren't performing it's going to be difficult for others to do so.

Look at how useless Albrighton has been all season, woeful.... last night he looked unreal. The same might happen to the other new lads as well in a confident team.

People will say "but N'didi has", not everyone is the same. That lad is full of confidence and mature beyond his years. To see a 20 year old demanding things from old pros is quite unusual.

Edited by Babylon

Its surprising how far he's fallen. Looked world class against Barcelona and now he couldn't even beat the Millwall centre back for pace. Looks like his confidence is shot. Take him out the limelight and see how he goes, if he doesn't improve he needs to be off loaded whatever the fee.

Musa needs to establish a position for himself. I'm not convinced he's useless, just finding it hard to fit into the scheme of things. Is he a striker, a winger or what? 

My impression so far, and it's only that, is it would be best to use him as a winger where he'll likely get a bit more time and space to do some damage and build some confidence.

Putting him in the middle with the strength and intensity of Premiership football is asking a lot for a new kid whose greatest assets are clearly not his physical strength, either on the ball or off.

He'd also need to be spending lots of time in the gym as has been the case with Drinky and others in the past. Even if you have terrific abilities you need to have the power, strength and determination to use them at Premiership level and right now that doesn't seem to be the case. How Musa chooses to respond to that challenge, assuming he gets the chance, is down to him but so far he's been disappointing and, again, I'm surprised our recruitment appraisers couldn't see that.

The essential qualities I mention are there to be seen in everyone whether they're kids in a playground or adults on Viccy Park. Musa needs some mentoring but he also needs to look at himself and understand that if he doesn't get strong and brave all the speed and skill in the world won't make up for it.                 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Thracian said:

Musa needs to establish a position for himself. I'm not convinced he's useless, just finding it hard to fit into the scheme of things. Is he a striker, a winger or what? 

My impression so far, and it's only that, is it would be best to use him as a winger where he'll likely get a bit more time and space to do some damage and build some confidence.

Putting him in the middle with the strength and intensity of Premiership football is asking a lot for a new kid whose greatest assets are clearly not his physical strength, either on the ball or off.

He'd also need to be spending lots of time in the gym as has been the case with Drinky and others in the past. Even if you have terrific abilities you need to have the power, strength and determination to use them at Premiership level and right now that doesn't seem to be the case. How Musa chooses to respond to that challenge, assuming he gets the chance, is down to him but so far he's been disappointing and, again, I'm surprised our recruitment appraisers couldn't see that.

The essential qualities I mention are there to be seen in everyone whether they're kids in a playground or adults on Viccy Park. Musa needs some mentoring but he also needs to look at himself and understand that if he doesn't get strong and brave all the speed and skill in the world won't make up for it.                 

I agree entirely.

17 minutes ago, Grewks said:

People need to remember that players need time to adapt to the league.....This season it's been twice as difficult because of our form.

Kante and Ndidi are exceptions, not the norm.

Adapting to a league has nothing to do with ball control or football brains. He has neither and won't make it in the premier league. In any other decent league either. I foresee his future either in China or back to Russia.

Just now, ZeGuy said:

Adapting to a league has nothing to do with ball control or football brains. He has neither and won't make it in the premier league. In any other decent league either. I foresee his future either in China or back to Russia.

Really... because every time Vardy stepped up a league he took time to adapt and that adaption included things like improving his touch and his decision making. The question is, will be be willing to work as Vardy did to improve all areas of his game.

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, Babylon said:

Really... because every time Vardy stepped up a league he took time to adapt and that adaption included things like improving his touch and his decision making. The question is, will be be willing to work as Vardy did to improve all areas of his game.

We'll see about that. I personally think he's far, far away from the PL and his decision making has always been baffling. Granted I didn't watch Vardy at his beginning but I'll stick to my opinion on Musa.

He's a speed merchant nothing more, nothing less. I'll never forget how he got the ball out against Sevilla with no pressure whatsoever just by wanting to change direction. That was Benny Hill level.

If he proves me wrong I'll gladly eat my words, but to me he's a squad player to be offloaded as soon as possible.

Edit: I'll never question his commitment, he's trying hard.

Edited by ZeGuy

I assumed we'd bought him as a direct replacement for Vardy thinking he'd go at the end of last season or at least as cover. He's been victim to the same malaise/lack of service Vardy's had this year. In a confident team he could thrive.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, ZeGuy said:

We'll see about that. I personally think he's far, far away from the PL and his decision making has always been baffling. Granted I didn't watch Vardy at his beginning but I'll stick to my opinion on Musa.

He's a speed merchant nothing more, nothing less. I'll never forget how he got the ball out against Sevilla with no pressure whatsoever just by wanting to change direction. That was Benny Hill level.

If he proves me wrong I'll gladly eat my words, but to me he's a squad player to be offloaded as soon as possible.

Edit: I'll never question his commitment, he's trying hard.

Vardy's touch was all over the shop when he first arrived. He'll never be silky smooth but when he's stepped up, he's had an adaption period and improved.

I don't expect Musa to ever be wonderful with ball at feet, he won't be. But if he can do what Vardy did and work at improving, then who knows. Playing to his strengths and in a confident team could be all he needs. We'll see if we carry on like last night.

• Like 1

I think in his last few games he has been trying too hard. Trying to turn with his back to goal everytime and losing the ball instead of just passing and moving. Shooting from 30 yards (Don't really mind this as long as its only 2 or 3 times a game, anymore is overkill).

Think keep him away from the first team till next season and have him working on his strength, reaction time and decision making. Ball control comes with confidence. Look at Vardy around January and compare him to Liverpool with that first touch from the schmeichel long ball.

Still have hope in him and he always gives his all in games which I respect.

Certainly prefer a forward that has not only pace but also good ball-control and technique - like Vardy.

Just pace and poor ball management and technique is not for this league in particular, so Musa is not preferred personally to Vardy, and Slimani and Ulloa.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Babylon said:

Vardy's touch was all over the shop when he first arrived. He'll never be silky smooth but when he's stepped up, he's had an adaption period and improved.

I don't expect Musa to ever be wonderful with ball at feet, he won't be. But if he can do what Vardy did and work at improving, then who knows. Playing to his strengths and in a confident team could be all he needs. We'll see if we carry on like last night.

Amen to that.

Someone here said once that he seems to lose the confidence he gained in the previous game every time. A bit like starting all over again at every game. He perfectly resumed Musa in one sentence.

But as you said who knows...

I'm all for giving players a chance but if you think Musa is ever going to be a decent footballer at this level then I'm sorry you're living in cloud cuckoo land.

People talk as if Vardy's improvement is the norm - it's extremely rare. And he's not even as good as he was when he was shit.

• Like 4

Guest Col city fan
2 hours ago, Babylon said:

Perhaps we should judge new players from this point ownwards. Last night was about the only time the whole lot of them haven't looked dog turd, put a new signing into that team performance and they'd get dragged along with the rest.

Yep, I agree with this.

It's difficult to assess any of them properly really when having played in a dog turd team.

Blank slate time... though I think under Shakey, Musa won't feature much tbh.

Guest Col city fan
29 minutes ago, Babylon said:

Again, absolutely true. Vardy had the first touch of the proverbial...

It seemed to improve, bizarrely, at the start of the great escape? 

This high press game they enjoy so much and works is physically exhausting, you could see that on Vardy last night.

In my opinion Musa should be rotated with Vardy in that role. He's not as physical as Vardy but he will find his own way I'm sure. I just can't see him as a winger (personally)

Much better to have options and always have a fresh, energetic, pacey

striker if we continue the way we did last night.

28 minutes ago, Wymeswold fox said:

Certainly prefer a forward that has not only pace but also good ball-control and technique - like Vardy.

Just pace and poor ball management and technique is not for this league in particular, so Musa is not preferred personally to Vardy, and Slimani and Ulloa.

Assuming he has sharp eyes, ball control is easily coached. It's a steady rather than instant process but, as indicated with Vardy, it all depends on the pace of the play, of the players you're trying to cope with at the same time, and whether your body and mind is fast enough to adapt.

You also need the confidence to cope.

Musa may well improve. He's not had many minutes on the pitch in the context of two thirds of a season. Nor has he had time to form relationships with the players around him which was so apparent in our team yesterday.

I'm not making any predictions but don't think we - or he - should give up too easily.

Perhaps an encouraging song or two from the fans would help when he's next seen in a City shirt. Some players need to feel they belong before they show their best. Others just get in there and assume they'll belong whatever.         

Edited by Thracian

Hopefully Musa is just another player who takes a year to adapt.

Never will anyone have a player who looks amazing vs Barca albeit in a freidndly, then look wank rest of the time 

In his defence I would say he hadn't had a regular run in the team nor has he had a run in a set position. 

Personally think he's just another one of these players who should be an athlete not a footballer. But hope I'm wrong