Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
DJ Barry Hammond

Brexit Discussion Thread.

As I said it's going to take at least 2 years to negotiate the deals concerning the EU and then you really need a couple of years to keep the country stable after the separation. On top of that it looks like the Cons are going to be led by a remain supporter which is not a true reflection of the Country's desires. If it were then Cameron wouldn't have felt obliged to stand down.

The true reflection of the Country's desire was met,to leave. How that is now negotiated is crucial, I personally don't believe it matters if its AL or TM who take us forward they are both Conservatives and it is debatable that TM was a true believer of remain anyway. A lot of vigorous brexiteers are backing TM now and I believe they are confident she will deliver with negotiations and that will not include unbridled free movent.

The true reflection of the Country's desire was met,to leave. How that is now negotiated is crucial, I personally don't believe it matters if its AL or TM who take us forward they are both Conservatives and it is debatable that TM was a true believer of remain anyway. A lot of vigorous brexiteers are backing TM now and I believe they are confident she will deliver with negotiations and that will not include unbridled free movent.

So why did Cameron think it was so important for a leave campaigner to take over from him?

May or Cameron? Does May win the candidature?

As I said it's going to take at least 2 years to negotiate the deals concerning the EU and then you really need a couple of years to keep the country stable after the separation. On top of that it looks like the Cons are going to be led by a remain supporter which is not a true reflection of the Country's desires. If it were then Cameron wouldn't have felt obliged to stand down.

I understand your point of view though personally I disagree. For me what matters now is that we have the best person to be PM. The vote has given a clear mandate to leave the Eu and that must be negotiated to the best of our ability. If that means a non brexit person then fine as long as they are good enough. People seem to be forgetting that in the meantime there is a country to run and brexit is just one part of that however important. There are manifesto pledges to be fulfilled by legislation which requires passing in the coming years. It isn't all about brexit.

Who says it's not the country's desire? Cameron clearly mistook the desire of the country when he called the referendum and who can measure the "desire" of the country right now other than their being pissed off with the EU?.

The Conservative leadership election isn't over so a) There's no guarantee May will win and b) She might be brilliant if she does. So might Leadsom and, who knows, they might even do their best job working together.

The last thing we need right now is an election. We need action.  

Having just watched Angela Eagle's totally morose performance with Andrew Neil I do fear for the Labour Party. I also think that reinforces my previous comment about a GE being a total waste of public money.

[Edit - comment moved to the Labour shambles thread!]

Alf you moved your post, well that's not playing cricket is it.

Sorry, Guv! I noticed that Matt & a few others were talking about the Eagle interview in the Labour shambles thread, so it seemed sensible to move it there.

Think of it as cricket....but just a bit of a Shane Warne delivery - turned outside leg in the EU referendum thread and hit the off bail in the Labour thread.  :whistle:

Sorry, Guv! I noticed that Matt & a few others were talking about the Eagle interview in the Labour shambles thread, so it seemed sensible to move it there.

Think of it as cricket....but just a bit of a Shane Warne delivery - turned outside leg in the EU referendum thread and hit the off bail in the Labour thread.  :whistle:

Ha Ha  never mind found the post, with regard to your explanation 'nice delivery'.

Guest MattP

I'd imagine you'll see numerous Brexiteers in the cabinet, Gove and Johnson almost certain, promotions surely for Leadsom and Patel.

Or they'll be on the negotiating team.

I'd imagine you'll see numerous Brexiteers in the cabinet, Gove and Johnson almost certain, promotions surely for Leadsom and Patel.

I get the sense there's no love lost between May and Gove, so he'll either be given a poisoned chalice position, something he'd hate (environment minister maybe?) or he'll get nothing at all.

Mocking leave voters for not knowing what they actually want isn't exactly clever, given the fact that either....

a) You voted for a party in the tories, who essentially walked into pre-referendum negotiations with £10 and walked out with two £5.

b) You voted for a party in Labour, who refused to accept there was anything wrong with the European Union.

c) You didn't vote for either of the above 2 parties, and therefore wasted a vote.

d) You didn't vote at all.

I voted leave. I also voted Tory as the last election. Had the E.U. offered us the ability to control our own borders, and control the amount we can invest in our own public services, I would have voted remain.

Rummor Boris getting media and sport, Leadsom environment (hmmmm!). Gove staying where he is. Hunt to be moved on from Health, but no idea where (name was in several spots).

But here's the biscuit - Osborne, Foreign Secetary! Phillip Hammond apparently to take over as Chancellor.

Guest MattP

Hammond to Chancellor looks solid, he was chief secretary to the treasury wasn't he? Can't imagine Gideon as a diplomat but we'll see.

Leadsom to environment seems a natural progression as well, hopefully more climate change sceptic than Rudd.

Just watching the news and the good old British public being given their views on our new overlady.

Have to say that it's really scary that we let people vote from some of the views given, both pro and con, that are completely irrelevant.

At least one person complained that it wasn't Farage, which is a staggeringly inadequate view of how politics works. He didn't even want the job. For crying out loud, he's not even a politician any more! :rolleyes:

There doesn't seem to be great objection to May being in charge especially given that May has given assurances the referendum result will be honoured. It's time to give the elected government a chance to be the best they can for the country because, quite apart from anything else, there really isn't a credible alternative waiting in the wings. In fact I'd say the collective "opposition" was by far the worst I've ever known it.

Mocking leave voters for not knowing what they actually want isn't exactly clever, given the fact that either....

a) You voted for a party in the tories, who essentially walked into pre-referendum negotiations with £10 and walked out with two £5.

b) You voted for a party in Labour, who refused to accept there was anything wrong with the European Union.

c) You didn't vote for either of the above 2 parties, and therefore wasted a vote.

d) You didn't vote at all.

I voted leave. I also voted Tory as the last election. Had the E.U. offered us the ability to control our own borders, and control the amount we can invest in our own public services, I would have voted remain.

According to the BBC

The EU does not control how much we spend on, or what our priorities are, for public services such as the NHS, schools, community services or libraries. The UK government decides on those issues.

Just wondered what things you had in mind??

If people are really interested in what may happen now and to see just how complex a situation we now face then I highly recommend the official Government report done on the possibility of us leaving the EU in 2013

Hope this link works

http://researchbriefings.parliament.uk/ResearchBriefing/Summary/RP13-42#fullreport

It is actually very interesting and a well balanced view of the immediate issues.

I wonder how French and German elections next year will affect negotiations? Obviously they won't want to appear weak but on the other hand spiting the UK could cost a lot of jobs in those countries.

Archived