Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
DJ Barry Hammond

Brexit Discussion Thread.

But not mine. Even from the list of trading partners I reckon we're certain to continue trading with at least nine of them one way or another and while I entirely agree with Alf's final comment, I'd be inclined to bet that without remarkable and radical reform, the EU will implode in next-to-no-time after the UK's departure and trading blocks will seem as old fashioned as winklepickers as everyone seeks to go global without barriers.

[...]

Indeed the only thing that concerns me is social stability and I really don't know who are likely to be the greater danger - Islamic zealots or The Trades Unions pulling the strings of the Labour Party. Because I firmly believe that both would put their own ends ahead of the country's best interests. And as time goes on, I imagine the two will be ever-more closely connected,

[...]

Even then it will be hard because, if Theresa May's as good as her word, traditional Labour voters will have plenty to look forward to from the present government.  

You might be right about the EU imploding without major reform. That's partly why I considered voting Leave. The economic policy structures/goals of EMU/Eurozone are doing a lot of damage that could cause such an implosion. For all our sakes, though, I hope they DO achieve the major reform required. An unstable continent full of competing nationalistic states hasn't worked well in the past. There's already a lot of discontent and xenophobia, throw in a bit more economic turbulence and that's not likely to end well.....

I can hear the platform announcements already: "We regret to announce that the 4.15 to London has been cancelled due to industrial action by the National Union of Islamic Zealots"...  :ph34r:

I genuinely hope you're right and that May does recognise (as Cameron/Osborne didn't) the levels of frustration and discontent among people struggling for a decent standard of living, decent quality of life and decent public services.

I fear for where we're headed if she isn't "as good as her word" - and we all know that politicians of every stripe come out with this rhetoric about fairness and understanding, but only some of them do anything about it. With the best will in the world, too, it's not the easiest of circumstances in which to generate such improvements to people's lives, with likely economic turbulence, limited public funds, a ridiculously busy in-tray (Brexit, trade, economic stability, NHS, Scotland, N. Ireland etc.) and a tiny majority. I genuinely hope that she is sincere in her rhetoric and is able to help improve the lives of those who need a leg-up, or this might not be a very nice country to live in. Brexit Britain is bound to be a bit of a rollercoaster, but it needs to stay on the rails and keep everyone aboard. 

The generation who claimed the older generation ruined their future by voting Brexit are the generation currently chasing imaginary Pokemon.

Agreed, Sums the majority of the younger generation up to a tee. Empty heads, with nothing between the ears, and tending to be mostly, "all mouth and trousers!"

Agreed, Sums the majority of the younger generation up to a tee. Empty heads, with nothing between the ears, and tending to be mostly, "all mouth and trousers!"

'Empty Heads', also known as a childhood and childhood nostalgia.

That's crushingly ironic considering you complain loudest when Brexiters are negatively stereotyped and pigeonholed.

P.S. 2/5 for punctuation.

The generation who claimed the older generation ruined their future by voting Brexit are the generation currently chasing imaginary Pokemon.

It's  a joke.

You might be right about the EU imploding without major reform. That's partly why I considered voting Leave. The economic policy structures/gaols of EMU/Eurozone are doing a lot of damage that could cause such an implosion. For all our sakes, though, I hope they DO achieve the major reform required. An unstable continent full of competing nationalistic states hasn't worked well in the past. There's already a lot of discontent and xenophobia, throw in a bit more economic turbulence and that's not likely to end well.....

I can hear the platform announcements already: "We regret to announce that the 4.15 to London has been cancelled due to industrial action by the National Union of Islamic Zealots"...  :ph34r:

I genuinely hope you're right and that May does recognise (as Cameron/Osborne didn't) the levels of frustration and discontent among people struggling for a decent standard of living, decent quality of life and decent public services.

I fear for where we're headed if she isn't "as good as her word" - and we all know that politicians of every stripe come out with this rhetoric about fairness and understanding, but only some of them do anything about it. With the best will in the world, too, it's not the easiest of circumstances in which to generate such improvements to people's lives, with likely economic turbulence, limited public funds, a ridiculously busy in-tray (Brexit, trade, economic stability, NHS, Scotland, N. Ireland etc.) and a tiny majority. I genuinely hope that she is sincere in her rhetoric and is able to help improve the lives of those who need a leg-up, or this might not be a very nice country to live in. Brexit Britain is bound to be a bit of a rollercoaster, but it needs to stay on the rails and keep everyone aboard. 

I hope she keeps her word too - and like to think I'll say so if she doesn't.

It's beyond hope that everything will improve or be done in an instant but it's reasonable to expect steady progress.

May promised a country for everyone and that's what I'd like it to be. Everyone who's happy to live with everyone else, that is.

I've no time for class warfare or religious intolerance.

Nor for anyone who wishes ill on this country or the people of this country, its essential inclusiveness, broad commitment to free choice & free speech plus the wholehearted commitment to genuinely equal rights/opportunity for both men and women whatever their colour or creed (and I mean everyone, including white natives who've been so shamefully, cynically and systematically downgraded, ignored or overlooked, particularly by New Labour with all the consequential anger that's eventually followed).       

'Empty Heads', also known as a childhood and childhood nostalgia.

DT worked down the pit as a kid. Unless you're doing manual labour before the age of 4 he ain't got time for people.

Still, I'm sure he'll be seen driving the wrong way on a motorway soon enough claiming he's perfectly fine to drive.

On 15/07/2016 at 20:56, Dr The Singh said:
On 15/07/2016 at 19:01, Finnaldo said:

You're on record for saying there's nothing wrong with the word 'wog'.

Plus what the fvck is a British 'race' lollollol lord give me strength.

I'm sure DT believes in what he says and would go upto a bunch of black people and tell them to there face why the word 'wog' in his time is acceptable.

For some reason my response to both the above were removed. Sad, and ridiculous!

4 minutes ago, DANGEROUS TIGER said:

For some reason my response to both the above were removed. Sad, and ridiculous!

I'm reasonably sure that justification for racial epithets, regardless of how well-founded you think those justifications might be (newsflash: they're not, however the term may have originated it very quickly became a term of abuse and so quoting such origins is utterly moot) are violating the T and C's on here in some way or another.

1 hour ago, DANGEROUS TIGER said:

It may be due to the forum change and nothing personal.

If you voted Brexit, fair enough, I don't agree but whatever.

But the demonstrators demanding May activate article 50 immediately, how stupid do you have to be? May has stated clearly she will honour the vote, so now what's the rush?

We should and will activate when we're ready and not a moment sooner. It's pretty obvious there were a metric **** tonne of unanswered questions involved in voting Leave and now is the opportunity to plan before we push the Big Red Button.

In the grand scheme of international politics, a year is nothing. If May says 2017, fine. That's her prerogative.

Those still demonstrating just look like paranoid morons watching over the cabinet saying "do it now, do it now, do it now" terrified the government might see sense and change their minds. Do they have so little faith in their "52%"?

2 minutes ago, Webbo said:

There's no rush. If it's activated early next year that'll be okay. I don't see how ignoring 52% of the electorate could be described as seeing sense though.

Because the electorate are apparently easily fooled by silly emotive rhetoric :whistle:

(I was somewhat fishing with that line to be fair.)

2 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

Because the electorate are apparently easily fooled by silly emotive rhetoric :whistle:

(I was somewhat fishing with that line to be fair.)

Don't forget paranoid. Pens at the ready!

Guest MattP
1 hour ago, Finnegan said:

If you voted Brexit, fair enough, I don't agree but whatever.

But the demonstrators demanding May activate article 50 immediately, how stupid do you have to be? May has stated clearly she will honour the vote, so now what's the rush?

We should and will activate when we're ready and not a moment sooner. It's pretty obvious there were a metric **** tonne of unanswered questions involved in voting Leave and now is the opportunity to plan before we push the Big Red Button.

In the grand scheme of international politics, a year is nothing. If May says 2017, fine. That's her prerogative.

Those still demonstrating just look like paranoid morons watching over the cabinet saying "do it now, do it now, do it now" terrified the government might see sense and change their minds. Do they have so little faith in their "52%"?

Absolutely, we can take as much time as when want to do this, the ball is in our court and we hold the cards, we don't have to bow down to Europe anymore and we have the mandate to act as we see fit, the negotiations will be a long process and we should actually start some serious informal behind close doors talks on trade with the rest of the World before we do so.

People like Corbyn and Farage demanding it was invoked the day after are ridiculous, they have no sense of reality or any sort of idea what they are going to do, it's more placard waving politics we can do without.

Archived