Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
DJ Barry Hammond

Brexit Discussion Thread.

Agree with that completely.

There are things which won't take five minutes to sort and there needs to be a whole stack of discussion to formulate the most sensible way forward for all concerned while hopefully maintaining long standing friendships and alliances in what is a decidedly troubled world right now.

Having people with different political agendas trying to rush or delay matters for their ends rather than the country's best interests makes me sick. 

May said clearly "Brexit is Brexit" but just as she refuses to give precise answers about immigration (instead of making a hollow promise he knew he'd never keep, like Cameron) so there's no sense in second guessing the timetable for putting the referendum choice into reality. Seems to me that the groundwork is being conducted as fast as reasonably possible. 

At least I hope so because there's so much more to be done on top...and quickly.

Guest MattP

Brexit means Brexit was good enough for me and put it this way, if she doesn't implement it, the Conservative party will never see power again.

5 hours ago, Webbo said:

There's no rush. If it's activated early next year that'll be okay. I don't see how ignoring 52% of the electorate could be described as seeing sense though.

Seeing sense seems to be realising that the country isn't ready to "push the button" and needs some time to get some good negotiators. If that's 2 years what's the hurry? You've been part of the EU for most of your life and all your adult life.

2 minutes ago, FIF said:

Seeing sense seems to be realising that the country isn't ready to "push the button" and needs some time to get some good negotiators. If that's 2 years what's the hurry? You've been part of the EU for most of your life and all your adult life.

People voted out, no point dragging it out either. I think we'll be out in 2019, we can negotiate some things after we've left if necessary.

Just now, Webbo said:

People voted out, no point dragging it out either. I think we'll be out in 2019, we can negotiate some things after we've left if necessary.

We have NO negotiators.

Would you prefer to wait a year or 2 and get a better deal or rush ahead and get a worse deal or no deal at all?

However I agree with you, I think WE'll be out early in 2019 but without a full raft of deals in place and running around after our arses to set them. Thankfully I'm sure that a deal concerning ex-pats will be in place by then.

Welcome to the World of the Brexit.

Here’s the details (any reading below 50 shows a contraction):

• Flash UK PMI Composite Output Index at 47.7 (52.4 in June). 87-month low.
  • Flash UK Services PMI Activity Index at 47.4 (52.3 in June). 88-month low.
  • Flash UK Manufacturing PMI at 49.1 (52.1 in June). 41-month low.
  • Flash UK Manufacturing PMI Output Index at 49.1 (52.9 in June). 40-month low.

Meanwhile in Europe.

Cn9GVJ0XYAA2wvB.jpg

16 minutes ago, Steven said:

Another Brexit head in the sand moment.

UK immigration officers overwhelmed by illegal 'lorry drops', report finds

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2016/jul/21/uk-immigration-officers-overwhelmed-by-illegal-lorry-drops-report-finds

I've just read that and can't see any connection to brexit, could you enlighten us Steven?

Guest MattP
5 minutes ago, Steven said:

See my comment in the context of this "victory". :rolleyes:

See Webbo's comment above, what does this have to do with Brexit? :rolleyes:

The whole article is based on reports and investigations from 2015.

15 minutes ago, MattP said:

See Webbo's comment above, what does this have to do with Brexit? :rolleyes:

The whole article is based on reports and investigations from 2015.

So everything has improved because of Brexit?

Guest MattP
4 minutes ago, Steven said:

So everything has improved because of Brexit?

lol

What on earth are you going on about? Brexit hasn't even started to be enacted yet, we aren't even likely to trigger article 50 for some time and the article you posted (some sort of Brexit head in the sand moment apparantly, despite it all occuring whilst we were full and willing EU members) showed absolutely nothing to do with it.

What actually is your point here?

2 hours ago, MattP said:

Another Project Fear prediction vanishes, we agree to keep dual agreement on border with France going.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/07/21/theresa-may-meets-francois-hollande-french-president-demands-pm/

This post has been made in the context of the Brexit vote.

Guest MattP
5 minutes ago, Steven said:

This post has been made in the context of the Brexit vote.

Yes and if you read the link you'll see why, we were being told we could have camps in Dover in the event of a leave vote, we can now see that isn't going to happen as the dual border check agreement is being retained.

You posted a story based on a report done on illegal immigrants in 2015 and implied it was made worse because of a vote than happened in the middle of 2016. It might be best if you go back to just posting links about Brexiteers hurting people or just calling everyone racist.

3 minutes ago, MattP said:

Yes and if you read the link you'll see why, we were being told we could have camps in Dover in the event of a leave vote, we can now see that isn't going to happen as the dual border check agreement is being retained.

What difference will that make? None. What control is there when lorries have many immigrants in the back? None. Have you seen the PMI surveys of the UK?

Brexit for control where there is none. Brexit causing untold damage to the UK economy.

Just now, Steven said:

What difference will that make? None. What control is there when lorries have many immigrants in the back? None. Have you seen the PMI surveys of the UK?

Brexit for control where there is none. Brexit causing untold damage to the UK economy.

On the plus side the UK will become such a desolate hell hole because we're leaving nobody will want to come here.

1 minute ago, Webbo said:

On the plus side the UK will become such a desolate hell hole because we're leaving nobody will want to come here.

There is that. :D

Guest MattP
6 minutes ago, Steven said:

As I've said before, Brexit hasn't happened yet. We don't know what the government will do, what we certainly will be able to do now is control our borders how we see fit though, if we want to check lorries on the way in, we can do.

Causing untold damage? What a silly exaggerration, although weird to see you now being so obsessed with economies after telling us it should be low priority last May.

21 hours ago, MattP said:

As I've said before, Brexit hasn't happened yet. We don't know what the government will do, what we certainly will be able to do now is control our borders how we see fit though, if we want to check lorries on the way in, we can do.

Causing untold damage? What a silly exaggerration, although weird to see you now being so obsessed with economies after telling us it should be low priority last May.

As you say we have no idea what will happen. Shamefully neither does our Government who don't appear to have made any plans for a brexit vote.

Meanwhile the economy is in danger of going into recession, the government is talking bout fiscal policy changes which mean probably yet more borrowing. Immigration from non EU countries was as high as ever and we could control that and did not. I don't see why that would change. As for EU immigration this will depend upon the deal struck. If the price for free access to the EU market is freedom of movement then that is the price which will be paid.

The current security based queues at Dover are an indication of the way forward if strict border controls are re-instated and add to that the cost of the bureaucracy in dealing with a points based immigration system will be substantial. Is this really the way we want to go?

Meanwhile our Government dithers on invoking clause 50. This is not fair on the citizens of the EU and business who need to know where we are going. 

24 minutes ago, FIF said:

And what about those queues in Dover.

If I understand correctly it's extra security checks on the French side due to fears about terrorism. Don't think there's any brexit connection.

Archived