Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
DJ Barry Hammond

Brexit Discussion Thread.

1 minute ago, Webbo said:

If I understand correctly it's extra security checks on the French side due to fears about terrorism. Don't think there's any brexit connection.

It's the French pointing out that border controls won't be as much fun as you thought. 

11 minutes ago, FIF said:

It's the French pointing out that border controls won't be as much fun as you thought. 

If that's true then it's perhaps a good thing not to be linked to such petty people.

http://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-36805080

Interesting piece from the Farnborough Air Show regarding Brexit and STEM.

Sounds like a lot of work is going to be needed to regain and renegotiate contracts if one of the most engaging and profitable industries in the UK isn't going to get hamstrung - both in terms of manufacturing and project influence. I would assume a similar situation for other areas where the UK collaborates in cutting edge tech.

20 minutes ago, Webbo said:

If that's true then it's perhaps a good thing not to be linked to such petty people.

you are linked - that's why there's a tailback. It's not about being petty it's about assuring borders and that's what you and the LEAVE campaign wanted. You just have to accept that delays will become more and more normal everywhere you travel when you don't have freedom of movement. The French don't have to employ extra people just because the English want to have border controls back.

1 hour ago, FIF said:

you are linked - that's why there's a tailback. It's not about being petty it's about assuring borders and that's what you and the LEAVE campaign wanted. You just have to accept that delays will become more and more normal everywhere you travel when you don't have freedom of movement. The French don't have to employ extra people just because the English want to have border controls back.

If it's some sort of punishment for Brexit then it's fantastic that we voted to de-couple from such small-time pettiness.  Plus if the French want to cut themselves off from the vast British tourism market then so be it.  Similar actions going forward can only act as a boost to our own tourism industry.

If it's nothing to do with Brexit then it's yet another display of abject incompetence from the French authorities.  

Either way the French aren't coming out of this smelling too good.

1 hour ago, BlueSi13 said:

If it's some sort of punishment for Brexit then it's fantastic that we voted to de-couple from such small-time pettiness.  Plus if the French want to cut themselves off from the vast British tourism market then so be it.  Similar actions going forward can only act as a boost to our own tourism industry.

If it's nothing to do with Brexit then it's yet another display of abject incompetence from the French authorities.  

Either way the French aren't coming out of this smelling too good.

I don't see it as a punishment for Brexit - I see it as a sign of things to come.

It is caused by the "need" for a check on freedom of movement. Some of the English have voted to remove completely Freedom of movement and I wouldn't be so daft as to think they were too stupid to realise that it WILL affect their own and every other British citizen's freedom of movement.

As far as I'm aware the French border control didn't feel that they needed any more people on the border - the result was lots of pêople were held up for a while over a day or  2 at the English border. Surely you and other exiteers wouldn't want to be dictating French policy on where they wish to place their border guards? It didn't make it less secure just slower. Maybe you think that they should move some security guards from the Italian border or somewhere else so that you can get into France a little quicker.

My point is you voted for removing freedom of movement on English borders and you're getting a little taste of what the consequences are. No more quick border passages at airports, for example, you'll (we'll) have to get in line with the asians and Africans in Europe instead of passing through without checks.

2 minutes ago, Strokes said:

I don't care, I use a aeroplanes :trumpet:

That could be hell if they don't negotiate well. We could be in the slow lane at customs. :P

Just now, Strokes said:

I'll just go elsewhere, the world is a big place. :cool:

I hear that the middle East is a nice place to visit, lots of architecture and culture that's fast disappearing.

1 minute ago, FIF said:

I hear that the middle East is a nice place to visit, lots of architecture and culture that's fast disappearing.

Far East is nice too - oh wait, they like their visa restrictions and massive queues at immi as well! :D

1 hour ago, Webbo said:

Brexit: EU considers migration ‘emergency brake’ for UK for up to seven years

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/jul/24/brexit-deal-free-movement-exemption-seven-years

Seems what we were told we'd never get, we might be getting after all.

(right thread this time 

:blush:)

So surprising they would consider this, when we have such a poor hand :whistle:

Guest MattP
19 hours ago, Webbo said:

Brexit: EU considers migration ‘emergency brake’ for UK for up to seven years

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/jul/24/brexit-deal-free-movement-exemption-seven-years

Seems what we were told we'd never get, we might be getting after all.

(right thread this time 

:blush:)

It's becoming clearer by the day they'll resort to anything now to save the project despite the threats, we'll probably even end up with full single market access and border controls set by us.

Our referendum will now shape EU policy for the forseeable future and for the better, well done everyone.

2 hours ago, MattP said:

It's becoming clearer by the day they'll resort to anything now to save the project despite the threats, we'll probably even end up with full single market access and border controls set by us.

Our referendum will now shape EU policy for the forseeable future and for the better, well done everyone.

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/blog/live/2016/jul/25/mcdonnell-accused-of-downplaying-seriousness-of-malhotra-office-row-politics-live

• Jean-Claude Juncker has said that Britain will have to accept EU rules “without exception or nuance” if it wants to keep full access to the single market after Brexit. Speaking to French TV channel France 2, Juncker denied he was taking a “hard line” on the UK. He said:

It’s not a hard line, it’s common sense. It reflects the philosophy of the European project itself. The day after the Brexit vote, I said - along with president [Donald] Tusk of the European council and president [Martin] Schulz of the European parliament that this was the position of the EU. No access to the internal market if you do not accept the rules - without exception or nuance - that make up the internal market system.

New orders expectations hit four-year low

The CBI also found that manufacturers are pretty gloomy about prospects over the next few months.

New orders expectations are at their lowest in over four years, and more firms expect to cut staff in the next quarter than hire more.

Here’s the details: 

• Total new orders are expected to be flat (0%), the lowest balance since January 2012 (-2%). Domestic orders are also anticipated to be broadly flat (+1%)
  • A balance of +10% expect export orders to rise (21% expect an increase, and 11% a fall)
  • 19% of businesses anticipate a rise in output volumes, and 12% a fall, giving a rounded balance of +6%
  • 14% expect employment to increase, and 20% expect it to decline, giving a balance of -6%

More here: Manufacturing prospects muted after Brexit – CBI

19 minutes ago, Steven said:

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/blog/live/2016/jul/25/mcdonnell-accused-of-downplaying-seriousness-of-malhotra-office-row-politics-live

• Jean-Claude Juncker has said that Britain will have to accept EU rules “without exception or nuance” if it wants to keep full access to the single market after Brexit. Speaking to French TV channel France 2, Juncker denied he was taking a “hard line” on the UK. He said:

It’s not a hard line, it’s common sense. It reflects the philosophy of the European project itself. The day after the Brexit vote, I said - along with president [Donald] Tusk of the European council and president [Martin] Schulz of the European parliament that this was the position of the EU. No access to the internal market if you do not accept the rules - without exception or nuance - that make up the internal market system.

Let Matt think the world is rosy while he can Steven.

Guest MattP
15 minutes ago, FIF said:

Let Matt think the world is rosy while he can Steven.

I certainty don't think everything is rosy, but you can already sense a chagce, Juncker should be more concerned about fighting for his own job rather than trying to influence decisions that in the end will have very little to do with him.

Britain aren't going to be the only country demanding this and as we continue to get an increase in those quite "unbelievable and impossible to predict" attacks currently turning parts of Europe into a slaughterhouse from Frau Merkel's conscience cleaning imports the demand will only get stronger.

Freedom os movement is dying in Europe, yet again it could have been something great if handled properly, but it wasn't.

5 minutes ago, MattP said:

I certainty don't think everything is rosy, but you can already sense a chagce, Juncker should be more concerned about fighting for his own job rather than trying to influence decisions that in the end will have very little to do with him.

Britain aren't going to be the only country demanding this and as we continue to get an increase in those quite "unbelievable and impossible to predict" attacks currently turning parts of Europe into a slaughterhouse from Frau Merkel's conscience cleaning imports the demand will only get stronger.

Freedom os movement is dying in Europe, yet again it could have been something great if handled properly, but it wasn't.

You seem to be crowing about the terrorists attacks in other parts of the world. I hope that you don't think you are safe in England from them - You've been safer because you are part of the EU and other countries have buffered you. Sure hope your post doesn't come back to bite you on the arse.

Merkel has been a great leader for Germany - a leader like her in England and you wouldn't have been so easy to walkover in european discussions.

You want Freedom of movement to die so I understand your jubilation - don't think those in the Dover queues were quite so happy though.

And your insistance that you are going to get everything you want from Brexit is so naive I find it hard to believe that JTF hasn't stolen your account. 

Guest MattP
1 minute ago, FIF said:

You seem to be crowing about the terrorists attacks in other parts of the world. I hope that you don't think you are safe in England from them - You've been safer because you are part of the EU and other countries have buffered you. Sure hope your post doesn't come back to bite you on the arse.

Merkel has been a great leader for Germany - a leader like her in England and you wouldn't have been so easy to walkover in european discussions.

You want Freedom of movement to die so I understand your jubilation - don't think those in the Dover queues were quite so happy though.

And your insistance that you are going to get everything you want from Brexit is so naive I find it hard to believe that JTF hasn't stolen your account. 

I don't think there is any doubt I'm safer in England than France or Germany now, we'll still have terrorist attacks, of course we will but there is no way in a million years we're going to have more than those two countries after the reckless policies of the French and German governments. They've condemned hundreds possibly thousands to death in the most horrific way to make themselves feel good, delighted to be out of it.

Yes we were that easy to walk over in those negotiations they ended ending forcing us into such a corner we left, something not a single one of them wanted, hardly the qualities of great leadership in my opinion but I realise people have a different viewpoint on this.

Yet again, I've never said we're going to get everything we want from Brexit, but I don't even think you read what people write anymore, you just read what you want to think they have written.

22 minutes ago, FIF said:

All the dummies and shimmies make no difference. This country voted out and the sooner the better. I'm not interested in fudge or compromise.

If the EU want to trade with us fair enough. I've always said we are good for one another in trading terms and I see no reason why that need change whether there are tarriffs or not. 

But we've voted for independence, we need independence and when we get it, I am sure we'll set the kind of example that will make others want their independence too.

Freedom of movement needs to end. It's a stupid concept.

Immigration needs to be properly and strictly controlled, and this country needs to end its disastrous period of no borders/melting-pot thinking and start showing some responsibility for its people again.

Hopefully new trade deals are already in the pipelines and a good deal more .

Merkel may have had her moments but her open door immigration policy has been disastrous and she'll be lucky to survive. The Germans have been shafted. Just as we were shafted by Blair.   

38 minutes ago, FIF said:

With  firm and trustworthy government,   I see no reason why a single soul should walk the streets of Britain without the right to be here. Illlegal entry would be a serious crime.

On 7/24/2016 at 09:48, FIF said:

You're sounding like Juncker. . 

Archived