Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
DJ Barry Hammond

Brexit Discussion Thread.

On 8/19/2016 at 17:05, yorkie1999 said:

That new bmw is gonna cost 20% more because of the exchange rate post Brexit vote, so i don't think i'll bother buying it. Who's worse off? 

Perhaps it'll encourage us to build more decent cars of our own. Indeed there's been news of extending serious vehicle building in Coventry already.... http://www.coventrytelegraph.net/news/exclusive-multi-million-pound-jaguar-8910574

20 minutes ago, Thracian said:

Perhaps it'll encourage us to build more decent cars of our own. Indeed there's been news of extending serious vehicle building in Coventry already.... http://www.coventrytelegraph.net/news/exclusive-multi-million-pound-jaguar-8910574

I think i was making a point about brexit fears to do with the cost of imported goods rising, which i don't think they will due to the fact people will only pay so much before they look for alternatives. I'd love an evoque.

2 hours ago, Jon the Hat said:

Another idiot on the radio this morning criticising the points based immigration system on the basis that Australia has higher net migration than we do!  YES you fool, because they WANT higher net migration, and with a points based system, they can choose to have it, and indeed how many points they give for the skills and professions and so on that they want and need. 

The points-based immigration system that Saint Theresa has now rejected?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-37271420

1 hour ago, yorkie1999 said:

I think i was making a point about brexit fears to do with the cost of imported goods rising, which i don't think they will due to the fact people will only pay so much before they look for alternatives. I'd love an evoque.

I have a loan Evoque from Land Rover today, it is nice, albeit pretty small, quite a hard ride too, but I suppose it has to be to corner so well given its height.  Quite nippy too - 2.2 Pure or something.

8 hours ago, Thracian said:

Wow that's funny timing, the engineering place I work for has just started doing work for the jaguar place :blink:

An expansion for them is fantastic news for us tbh.

1 hour ago, Innovindil said:

Wow that's funny timing, the engineering place I work for has just started doing work for the jaguar place :blink:

1 hour ago, Innovindil said:

Happy days! :)

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/business/news/brexit-latest-city-of-london-economists-scrap-recession-forecasts-a7228671.html

Brexit latest: City of London economists scrap recession forecasts

Positive data in recent weeks has prompted several economics teams at Square Mile institutions to upgrade their forecasts

City of London economists have been revising away their expectations of a new UK recession on the back of surprisingly solid economic data and industrial surveys since the Brexit vote as well as anticipated stimulus from the Bank of England and the Government.

In the wake of the 23 June referendum result most City forecasters slashed their growth forecasts for the UK dramatically, with many pencilling in an outright contraction in GDP for two quarters, a technical recession.

A survey of 35 economists by Bloomberg on 29 June found that 71 per cent of those questioned expected a recession either this year or next.

But the positive data on retail sales in July from the Office for National Statistics and a bounceback in the closely-watched Purchasing Managers’ Indexes in August have prompted several economics teams at Square Mile institutions to revise their forecasts.

“We’ve ‘marked-to-market’ our growth forecast from a sharp slowdown and Brecession, to a lesser slowdown, which narrowly avoids a technical recession,” said Morgan Stanley’s team.

They had previously forecast a 0.4 per cent contraction in the third quarter of the year, but now they expect growth of 0.4 per cent.

2 hours ago, MattP said:

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/business/news/brexit-latest-city-of-london-economists-scrap-recession-forecasts-a7228671.html

Brexit latest: City of London economists scrap recession forecasts

Positive data in recent weeks has prompted several economics teams at Square Mile institutions to upgrade their forecasts

lol its all getting quite embarressing how much backtracking is happening.

Has anyone got any figures on the racist abuse since brexit, ive not heard much on that for a while :whistle:

On 9/5/2016 at 20:49, Innovindil said:

I reckon what they need to do is manufacture all the parts in this country then produce the cars/4x4's at a lower price than anything the germans produce. It would completely fvck up the german market.

1 minute ago, Strokes said:

Has anyone got any figures on the racist abuse since brexit, ive not heard much on that for a while :whistle:

Funny you should say that, there was an article on RT yesterday regarding the above, essentially describing post-referendum Britain as fascist, far right and about the most racist place you could live at the moment. No surprise really, given the author is Richard Sudan, who's previously written for the Guardian, Independent and Huff Post and describes himself as a Freelance Journalist & Political Activist living in London lol 

I was going to pick out a few choice quotes of pure ridiculousness, but there were too many so here's the link instead.

https://www.rt.com/op-edge/358389-uk-hate-crimes-brexit/

28 minutes ago, Strokes said:

Problem is they thought that if they predicted enough armageddon they would manage to get the vote they wanted.

They never thought they would have to live to back up the claims.

1 hour ago, Strokes said:

Apart from the Polish guy murdered in Harlow, you mean?

Or the two Polish guys hospitalised on the day of his funeral?

Do keep in my mind that Brexit hasn't actually happened yet, and may not for many years. What has happened is that the exchange rate has made doing business with the UK cheaper. Overseas businesses could simply be making hay while the sun shines, and assessing alternatives.

I say that not as a rabid Remainer either. I believe the UK can exist quite successfully outside of the EU.

But I wouldn't read into the current situation that there won't be a difficult transition period once Article 50 is invoked.

2 hours ago, Buce said:

Apart from the Polish guy murdered in Harlow, you mean?

Or the two Polish guys hospitalised on the day of his funeral?

Have these been confirmed as Brexit related attacks yet? The details seem rather sketchy, the Guardian and the BBC reported that in the immediate aftermath to this is was a Polish bloke who was set upon by a gang of youths who beat him to death in a savage mob attack.

The police are now saying it was a fight between two groups of people and he was killed by a single punch - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-essex-37291524

I'm just not sure who to believe.

13 hours ago, MattP said:

Have these been confirmed as Brexit related attacks yet? The details seem rather sketchy, the Guardian and the BBC reported that in the immediate aftermath to this is was a Polish bloke who was set upon by a gang of youths who beat him to death in a savage mob attack.

The police are now saying it was a fight between two groups of people and he was killed by a single punch - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-essex-37291524

I'm just not sure who to believe.

Lasting rise in hate crime after EU referendum, figures show

Statistics released by NPCC show record figure was reached in final week of July – a 58% increase on 2015 total

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2016/sep/07/hate-surged-after-eu-referendum-police-figures-show

2 hours ago, Steven said:

Statistics released by NPCC show record figure was reached in final week of July – a 58% increase on 2015 total

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2016/sep/07/hate-surged-after-eu-referendum-police-figures-show

A 'lasting rise', even though figures have now returned to the same level as earlier this year and last year?

Mark Hamilton, the NPCC lead for hate crime, said that the reductions in the rate of increase meant they were no longer going to require weekly updates from police forces in England, Wales and Northern Ireland.

“We have seen continued decreases in reports of hate crimes to forces and these reports have now returned to formerly seen levels for 2016. For this reason, we will return to our previous reporting procedures and will no longer be requiring weekly updates from forces,” he said

Amber Rudd, the home secretary, went further when she discussed the figures with MPs on the home affairs select committee on Wednesday, saying that the level was back in line with 2015.

“There was a spike in crime after 23 June. I am pleased to say it has now gone back to levels comparable to last year. We are watching it carefully. We will continue to combat hate crime however we can,” she told MPs.

It's pathetic that there was a rise in the first place. Hell, it's pathetic that those sort of crimes still happen, but unfortunately I can see these sorts of figures increasing in the coming years, not because we are becoming a more racist country, as the RT article I posted suggests, but because the very definition of 'hate crime' is becoming so broad. For god's sake, people are reporting differing opinions as hate crime now.

3 hours ago, Steven said:

Not really anything to do with the question I asked or what I posted but thanks anyway. I was asking whether the Polish "attack" was confirmed as a Brexit hate crime? Because if not a lot of people have used this poor man's death for there own political ends which is quite disagraceful.

I'm not surprised hate crime has risen though, not just because some people often behave like idiots on the basis of something but also because recently we've decided to classify wolf whilsting as a hate crime in areas of the country and even complaining to the police about Nigel Farage speaking

Not really sure how it's a lasting rise given it's returned to normal now either?

Well the European Army (which was never going to happen in June) is happening, confirmed today by Juncker in his state of the Union address.

I'm astounded listening to it, why I don't know but I am, their answer to the current crisis is more Europe and more integration, it's almost like they've just decided to ignore everything that has happened recently. They really are the biggest bunch of fanatics on the planet outside of the Middle East, nothing stops the ideology whatever happens.

3 minutes ago, MattP said:

Well the European Army (which was never going to happen in June) is happening, confirmed today by Juncker in his state of the Union address.

I'm astounded listening to it, why I don't know but I am, their answer to the current crisis is more Europe and more integration, it's almost like they've just decided to ignore everything that has happened recently. They really are the biggest bunch of fanatics on the planet outside of the Middle East, nothing stops the ideology whatever happens.

They could have signed up for one of those 70 years ago.

2 hours ago, MattP said:

They'll use any tactics to get what they want. The result of the recent Austrian elections were overturned due to impropriaties (electoral fraud) and now the new elections can't be conducted because of faulty glue. All this because the anti EU candidate was getting too close to winning. That's democracy EU style. 

7 hours ago, MattP said:

EU joint military operations have been ongoing for years (I think since 2003?) under the Common Security and Defence Policy. Why the outcry about it now? It's hardly a new statement of intent. Whether an "EU army" will ever exist, I don't know. But EU military cooperation is not a recent development. 

Sadly the problem is this is far more then just EU military cooperation. This is what Jean Claude Junker, President of the Europen Commision, said when anouncing a European Army:

"Far too often national interests are brought to the fore.

"We shouldn't misunderstand this - European integration must not bow to the interests of the nation state.

The long term plan has always been to bypass nation states and put the European commision in charge of making the major decisions, thereby superceding national sovereignty. An example being the various European courts that can overturn British laws if they wish.

Brexit and other anti EU sentiment is just accelerating the process of forced intergration.

9 hours ago, sm1 said:

Sadly the problem is this is far more then just EU military cooperation. This is what Jean Claude Junker, President of the Europen Commision, said when anouncing a European Army:

"Far too often national interests are brought to the fore.

"We shouldn't misunderstand this - European integration must not bow to the interests of the nation state.

The long term plan has always been to bypass nation states and put the European commision in charge of making the major decisions, thereby superceding national sovereignty. An example being the various European courts that can overturn British laws if they wish.

Brexit and other anti EU sentiment is just accelerating the process of forced intergration.

This fooking shit, scares me to shit, I'm so glad we're out

Bratislava EU meeting: Merkel says bloc in 'critical situation'

4 hours ago

From the sectionEurope