Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
DJ Barry Hammond

Brexit Discussion Thread.

1 hour ago, Emilio Lestavez said:
7 minutes ago, DJ Barry Hammond said:

Wait until the Brexiters find out in order to argue it's Article 50 triggering cause at the Supreme Court, the government is going to present a case that Article 50 could be reversed!

"Brexit campaigners in Britain reacted with anger to the idea, arguing that it would discriminate against Leave voters and that it was “an outrage”."

Jesus wept!

That WILL be the day that Democracy in our country dies .It would be a disgraceful tragedy, allowing the minority to override the majority. Pathetic people who wont accept  losing.

24 minutes ago, DJ Barry Hammond said:

Wait until the Brexiters find out in order to argue it's Article 50 triggering cause at the Supreme Court, the government is going to present a case that Article 50 could be reversed!

6 minutes ago, DANGEROUS TIGER said:

That WILL be the day that Democracy in our country dies .It would be a disgraceful tragedy, allowing the minority to override the majority. Pathetic people who wont accept  losing.

Exhibit A lol 

1 hour ago, DANGEROUS TIGER said:

It's nothing to do with "losing", it's all to do with 16 million people voting not to lose the rights they enjoy as EU citizens. Brexit is permanent, it's not like a general election where we can vote to change it if we don't like it every five years or so. This is not about trying to override Brexit, this is about guaranteeing rights such as freedom of movement for those who wish to keep them. It would not apply to those citizens from other EU countries coming into the UK, but for those UK citizens who wish to live in another EU country in the future ... why should they be denied that right? 

I find it laughable that without any trace of irony Jayne Adye called this a divisive move and claimed it discriminated those who voted Leave. How is that exactly? You want out the EU, fine, the country is leaving and your rights as part of it are no more; you want in the EU, fine, the country is leaving but your rights are retained. Whether you like it or not, there are a lot of people who do like the EU and would like to remain part of it, or at the very least keep the rights enjoyed under it as one of its citizens. 

Why would it be a tragedy? How would it affect you so negatively if, as someone who voted Leave, you lost your rights as an EU citizen yet I, as someone who voted Remain, kept exactly what it was that made me vote that way in the first place?

2 hours ago, DANGEROUS TIGER said:

Thus shows the problem with a binary vote - whatever side you've voted on you could end up unhappy with the ultimate result of action taken.

3 hours ago, DJ Barry Hammond said:

Do you think that Article 50 couldn't be reversed :dunno:

3 minutes ago, DJ Barry Hammond said:

I hadn't given it much thought.

Additionally, I'm no EU law expert so I wouldn't know the answer anyway.

Triggering Article 50 does not mean it cannot be later revoked, according to a leading EU lawyer who helped write it. Politically it is very possible, the EU do not want us to leave and would do everything possible to assist if the UK had a change of heart.... but that is very, very unlikely.

2 minutes ago, Spudulike said:

Triggering Article 50 does not mean it cannot be later revoked, according to a leading EU lawyer who helped write it. Politically it is very possible, the EU do not want us to leave and would do everything possible to assist if the UK had a change of heart.... but that is very, very unlikely.

Thats an opinion from a lawyer... based on the fact there's no mechanism in the legislative piece that says it can't... however, until that theory was tested through a court of law (and this would need to be an EU one I would think) there is only opinion, not a definitive answer.

i would also add, my original post was about the irony of the government trying to advance its case for triggering Article 50 itself, by claiming it could be reversed at a later date and how that would sit with staunch Brexiters.

1 hour ago, foxinexile said:

It's nothing to do with "losing", it's all to do with 16 million people voting not to lose the rights they enjoy as EU citizens. Brexit is permanent, it's not like a general election where we can vote to change it if we don't like it every five years or so. This is not about trying to override Brexit, this is about guaranteeing rights such as freedom of movement for those who wish to keep them. It would not apply to those citizens from other EU countries coming into the UK, but for those UK citizens who wish to live in another EU country in the future ... why should they be denied that right? 

I find it laughable that without any trace of irony Jayne Adye called this a divisive move and claimed it discriminated those who voted Leave. How is that exactly? You want out the EU, fine, the country is leaving and your rights as part of it are no more; you want in the EU, fine, the country is leaving but your rights are retained. Whether you like it or not, there are a lot of people who do like the EU and would like to remain part of it, or at the very least keep the rights enjoyed under it as one of its citizens. 

Why would it be a tragedy? How would it affect you so negatively if, as someone who voted Leave, you lost your rights as an EU citizen yet I, as someone who voted Remain, kept exactly what it was that made me vote that way in the first place?

This is a proposal from an MEP, there's no way the EU will let us keep the benefit of freedom of movement without without offering it in return. If they did great, I might even sign up for it myself, but I can't see it. The fact that the person they've quoted as being disgusted no body has ever heard of suggests they rang around every brexiteer they could think of until they got a reaction. Bit tabloidy to be honest.

4 minutes ago, Webbo said:

This is a proposal from an MEP, there's no way the EU will let us keep the benefit of freedom of movement without without offering it in return. If they did great, I might even sign up for it myself, but I can't see it. The fact that the person they've quoted as being disgusted no body has ever heard of suggests they rang around every brexiteer they could think of until they got a reaction. Bit tabloidy to be honest.

!!! I don't even know what to say about that sentence coming from you, Webbo. lol

1 minute ago, Carl the Llama said:

!!! I don't even know what to say about that sentence coming from you, Webbo. lol

If there's somebody's giving something away for free why wouldn't you take it? Why would anyone be bothered about this?

1 minute ago, Webbo said:

If there's somebody's giving something away for free why wouldn't you take it? Why would anyone be bothered about this?

I'm not sad enough to go delving back through everything you've said about the referendum but I'm pretty sure you were one of many leave voices saying that one reason they wanted out was so that we'll stop having our laws decided by the EU and make our own ones, but now apparently if you were offered the option you would willingly choose for these EU laws you wanted rid of to be applicable to you.

If you don't laugh... lol

6 minutes ago, Carl the Llama said:

I'm not sad enough to go delving back through everything you've said about the referendum but I'm pretty sure you were one of many leave voices saying that one reason they wanted out was so that we'll stop having our laws decided by the EU and make our own ones, but now apparently if you were offered the option you would willingly choose for these EU laws you wanted rid of to be applicable to you.

If you don't laugh... lol

Nothing to do with laws, it's so go can travel throughout Europe unhindered,.European laws wouldn't apply here

Edit; I've just read the article again and I can't see anywhere where it says that EU laws would apply here?

24 minutes ago, Webbo said:

Nothing to do with laws, it's so go can travel throughout Europe unhindered,.European laws wouldn't apply here

Edit; I've just read the article again and I can't see anywhere where it says that EU laws would apply here?

Perhaps I'm reading a different article, I thought we were talking about the one discussing a (very) theoretical EU passport scheme which if approved would need to be enshrined in EU law and would bestow various benefits of the EU's legal framework upon the passport holders, chief amongst them the freedom of movement that you want to deny to Europeans coming here. 

For what it's worth I can't see this scheme taking off because, as you have alluded to, it basically means UK citizens would end up benefiting from the EU without having to input anything in return which would be mad, it's the ultimate in cake eating.  It's a nice token gesture but that's all it will probably be, that or a severely watered down version of what's being suggested.

Blimey Carl you have totally missed the point, issue and observation Webbo has made, he says if that were avaliable he'd sign up for it, nothing to do with accepting EU laws or mass migration.

Although people aren't actually taking this proposal seriously are they? How would you even know who the ones who voted Remain were, it was a secret ballot, if they decide to offer free movement with no conditions to people you'll all of a sudden have everyone applying for it anyway.

Although Article 50 being reversed is actually starting to slightly appeal to me, because it will happen eventually, it just then might be happening then with Prime Minister Farage backed up by a combination of UKIP and proper hardline Eurosceptic Conservatives. That would easily be worth waiting six years for. A Farage-Trump cross atlantic ticket, making the special relationship great again.

12 minutes ago, Barky said:

Will we all get to work all hours in hosiery factories for shit wages in dangerous conditions again as well? Them were the days what Britain was great. 

Edgy.

18 minutes ago, Barky said:

Will we all get to work all hours in hosiery factories for shit wages in dangerous conditions again as well? Them were the days what Britain was great. 

You joke about it but seriously, when was the last time you got a decent shoe shine from an 8 year old cockney lad?

Cheers EU.

3 minutes ago, GazzinderFox said:

You joke about it but seriously, when was the last time you got a decent shoe shine from an 8 year old cockney lad?

Cheers EU.

He'll be thankful soon, he can walk onto the Good Ship Jesus no questions asked for a quick shine before they go to work on Trump's plantations.

Panic I tell you, Panic!

8 minutes ago, MattP said:

He'll be thankful soon, he can walk onto the Good Ship Jesus no questions asked for a quick shine before they go to work on Trump's plantations.

Panic I tell you, Panic!

That's if he manages to avoid being eliminated by one of Trumps anti liberal/ethnic minority/LGBT death squads. Or wiped out in the coming nuclear winter!

22 minutes ago, MattP said:

Edgy.

Almost, but perhaps not quite as edgy as extolling the virtues of hardline conservative politics led by a pair of million/billionaire businessmen.

The point remains as it always does when talking with that particular type of middle to older aged conservative who harks back to the good old days when Britain was great - relative to today those days were shit for everyone except the elite few who inherited wealth or management positions. Everyone else had to work themselves to the bone in dangerous conditions for not much money. It's not something I personally want to see a return to.

Archived