Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
DJ Barry Hammond

Brexit Discussion Thread.

23 hours ago, Barky said:

Big week coming up then with May looking set to imply hard brexit is a go. Hammond threatening that we'll become a low tax haven. 

The threat is that we'll become a low CORPORATE tax haven - not necessarily a low tax nation for Joe Public.

Though there's always the potential for funding Corporation Tax cuts by further cuts in public spending....the Tories would just hate to do that, of course. :rolleyes:

20 hours ago, bovril said:

Sounds like a Richard Desmond publication.

9 Out of 10 Housewives love a STIFF BREXIT in the Morning.

lol

Well, I think we're all going to get a shafting. Whether it is a hard shafting, a clean shafting, a stiff shafting or an erect shafting is of marginal importance to me.

12 minutes ago, Alf Bentley said:

The threat is that we'll become a low CORPORATE tax haven - not necessarily a low tax nation for Joe Public.

Though there's always the potential for funding Corporation Tax cuts by further cuts in public spending....the Tories would just hate to do that, of course. 

It's more a case we make Europe think we'll be prepared to do that if they intend to give us a punishment beating. Even if we won't be.

Bluffing is a part of any negotiation and we'll both be doing our fair share in this.

36 minutes ago, MattP said:

IMF upgrades forecast for UK growth in 2017 from 1.1% to 1.5%.

Expects UK growth in 2016 to be 2%, up from 1.8%.

Hmmm, those pesky experts making their forecasts again? Wasn't the IMF among those predicting more serious short-term problems? Any reason why its forecasts are likely to be any more accurate this time?

I'd have thought that there's very little that we can yet say with any degree of certainty.

We can maybe say:

- Most economic consequences (good or bad) will be slow-moving and likely to take at least 1-2 years to unravel (unless the likely outcome (good or bad) of Brexit negotiations becomes clear early on...which seems unlikely) 

- We're likely to get some price inflation (but maybe not pay inflation) this year

- The pound may fall a bit more, particularly against the dollar, but possibly not a massive amount more

- If interest rates rise at all, they probably won't rise much

- The economy of most of the Eurozone, apart from Germany, will remain pretty stagnant

- The European economy could become even more turbulent than the UK economy, depending on events (Italian banks, French election, Russian interference in German election, migrant flows etc.)

- Some UK firms will delay investing due to uncertainty (barring unexpected clarity in the Brexit negotiations)

- Many people in the UK will continue to feel insecure and skint

- Some people in the UK will become increasingly frustrated at the slow progress of Brexit, which could turn to anger and increased support for UKIP or other nationalists

Apart from that, most stuff cannot be accurately forecast, can it? Not until we know the nature of the post-Brexit settlement (might take 2 years) and the outcome of events in France, Italy & Germany (possibly even the US, if Trump is radical)... 

Nope, all we know is it will be wrong. By how much we don't know. It's nice to see them being a bit more optimistic though. 

Hopefully now we can start to not take everything as gospel we hear from economists though, it's long overdue.

6 minutes ago, MattP said:

Pound going up, 1.225 against dollar.

Yes, a lot of depression of the pound was from uncertainty. Also remember that the dollar is likely to fall against other currencies if the US continues to struggle economically.

Also, the fact she said she is willing to walk away is encouraging. I assume if the parliament rejects to new deal it will result in no deal and leaving on WTO terms. This will encourage the Tory remainers to toe the government position.

I liked it, make the threat to Europe regarding taxation real if they want to punish us and make it very clear we'll walk away rather than take it.

Just now, MattP said:

I liked it, make the threat to Europe regarding taxation real if they want to punish us and make it very clear we'll walk away rather than take it.

I think it is a veiled threat with the intention to make the EU realise that it cannot punish us as it would make them look bad and in reality make us both worse off.

I do get the feeling more and more than May was undecided in the campaign and that was probably why she took such a back seat.

An absolute exhibition today in how to approach a negotiation, push your strong points whilst reminding those who you are going to sit down at the table that you can hurt them if they intend to hurt you, I'm a little embarrassed I fell for Cameron in thinking he could do negotiate any sort of reform, what a complete contrast in attitudes, I fully expect a contrast now in outcome as well.

Be interesting to see the polls next week, she should sweep up some of that 10-12% of the remaining UKIP vote.

On 1/15/2017 at 17:04, Barky said:

Big week coming up then with May looking set to imply hard brexit is a go. Hammond threatening that we'll become a low tax haven. Probably a sensible move but what I'm interested in is how much further the pound will fall in the next two days. I'm expecting another 3-5% against the dollar.

Oops lol 

Great speech by May in all fairness, pretty much exactly what I wanted to hear. :D

Glad we're done with the bankers club in Brussels. They'll be more teary eyes in Davos tonight than anywhere in this country. Only thing we make sure we do now is not offer up what remains of the welfare state up on an plate as a appetiser to any businesses that don't pay tax anyway. 

4 hours ago, Innovindil said:

Oops lol 

Great speech by May in all fairness, pretty much exactly what I wanted to hear. :D

Yep fair play, that's why I'm not a currency trader. In hindsight it was too obvious, the big money was probably aware of May's planned approach weeks ago so the markets had already taken action. 

2 hours ago, Barky said:

Yep fair play, that's why I'm not a currency trader. In hindsight it was too obvious, the big money was probably aware of May's planned approach weeks ago so the markets had already taken action. 

It's been obvious this was the course of action for a while, May was consistent in saying we won't compromise border control to be in the single market, the people saying there was no plan were just desperate to believe it as they didn't like the plan. 

The idea of giving parliament the vote on it a bit strange though, it's either rubber stamp the hard Brexit we negotiate or leave with no deal, which is probably an even harder Brexit.

16 minutes ago, MattP said:

It's been obvious this was the course of action for a while, May was consistent in saying we won't compromise border control to be in the single market, the people saying there was no plan were just desperate to believe it as they didn't like the plan. 

The idea of giving parliament the vote on it a bit strange though, it's either rubber stamp the hard Brexit we negotiate or leave with no deal, which is probably an even harder Brexit.

That's the ace up the sleeve though, two choices of a similar nature and complies with this nonsense hatchet plan. She has won me over, for now.

Archived