Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
DJ Barry Hammond

Brexit Discussion Thread.

2 hours ago, Voll Blau said:

I think you should get a little blue sticker with stars on it, to put on your passport. Or a, i am not a facist certificate to take around europe in your gap year.

45 minutes ago, The Doctor said:

Only if your definition of democracy involves tyranny of the majority and mob rule. In reality democracy doesn't mean you only have a voice if you're part of the majority.

All we did was vote to trigger Article 50. That was the descision that was made, a binary choice with a binary outcome: stay or go. If you don't like the destination they'll be of chances to change it in your lifetime, I'm sure.

1 minute ago, Sharpe's Fox said:

All we did was vote to trigger Article 50. That was the descision that was made, a binary choice with a binary outcome: stay or go. If you don't like the destination they'll be of chances to change it in your lifetime, I'm sure.

Not arguing with that, what I'm arguing against is the idea that a 52-48 advisory poll not translating 100-0 in parliament is an affront to democracy. The majority were for leaving, but that doesn't mean that those who were for remaining shouldn't have any sort of voice.

2 minutes ago, The Doctor said:

Not arguing with that, what I'm arguing against is the idea that a 52-48 advisory poll not translating 100-0 in parliament is an affront to democracy. The majority were for leaving, but that doesn't mean that those who were for remaining shouldn't have any sort of voice.

The referendum was a binary choice with a majority vote being taken so that is the only option. If you didn't like the type refererendum the electoral commission decided on by you should spoiled your ballot. In voting in the referendum, or indeed any election, you accept the system in which the vote is enacted. That's the informal agreement you make when you make a valid vote.

1 minute ago, Sharpe's Fox said:

The referendum was a binary choice with a majority vote being taken so that is the only option. If you didn't like the type refererendum the electoral commission decided on by you should spoiled your ballot. In voting in the referendum, or indeed any election, you accept the system in which the vote is enacted. That's the informal agreement you make when you make a valid vote.

What on earth are you talking about? I am not arguing against the result. I think it was wrong to offer it in the first place, but that's in the past. What I am arguing against is the idea that any remain voices being in parliament is an affront to democracy. The referendum result and the decision of parliament to take the advice means we are leaving, but it doesn't mean that the 48% lose their right to a voice in parliament.

On 17 January 2017 the Prime Minister set out the 12 principles which will guide the Government in fulfilling the democratic will of the people of the UK.

These are:

1. Providing certainty and clarity;

2. Taking control of our own laws;

3. Strengthening the Union;

4. Protecting our strong historic ties with Ireland and maintaining the Common Travel Area;

5. Controlling immigration;

6. Securing rights for EU nationals in the UK and UK nationals in the EU;

7. Protecting workers’ rights;

8. Ensuring free trade with European markets;

9. Securing new trade agreements with other countries;

10. Ensuring the United Kingdom remains the best place for science and innovation;

11. Cooperating in the fight against crime and terrorism;

12. Delivering a smooth, orderly exit from the EU.

In detail - https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/588948/The_United_Kingdoms_exit_from_and_partnership_with_the_EU_Web.pdf

14 minutes ago, The Doctor said:

Strengthening the union? Fat chance while wee Nicola is making this out to be the greatest injustice England has ever committed.

Doesn't mean anyone, who wasn't that way inclined already, believes her.

1 hour ago, Webbo said:

Doesn't mean anyone, who wasn't that way inclined already, believes her.

Bollocks. The scots independence was shot down by three things: currency, financial viability and the promise of staying in the eu vs potentially not getting back in. Those who were anti-independence on the basis of the last one is definitely going to resent being dragged out. 

1 minute ago, The Doctor said:

Bollocks. The scots independence was shot down by three things: currency, financial viability and the promise of staying in the eu vs potentially not getting back in. Those who were anti-independence on the basis of the last one is definitely going to resent being dragged out. 

They might resent it but it doesn't mean they prefer the EU to the UK.

1 minute ago, The Doctor said:

Those who chose to stay in the uk for the sake of staying in the eu? Fairly sure they prefer the eu to the uk.

Show me a poll that puts independence in a winning position.

Archived