Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
DJ Barry Hammond

Brexit Discussion Thread.

Because, whether you like it or not, there is no middle ground.

If you disagree with a single piece of European Union legislation, you must vote leave.

Inside of the E.U we cannot follow our own legislation, but outside we can still follow E.U legislation.

If I don't like the colour of my walls I don't knock my house down. Britain had a number of vetos and exemptions set up with the EU.

Still, the one positive is that UKIP are about to look very silly given the UK soon won't exist. And Donald Trump can generate some more jobs by rebuilding Hadrians wall as well as his mexican one.

Brexit out of the EU now means we could have Boris as the Prime Minister!

And we won the league. What a fantastic year I'm having! :)  

How anyone can want that bumbling old fool in a position of humongous world power is absolutely beyond me.

How anyone can want that bumbling old fool in a position of humongous world power is absolutely beyond me.

Tbf the bumbling is obviously an act. The tragedy is that the real him is a conniving little scrote willing to betray his own beliefs to push his boss off a cliff to gain a promotion.

Being older might mean you've got a bit more experience but I don't think it guarantees you're any less selfish. Take pensions for example, no party in their right mind would suggest cutting the state pension for existing pensioners. You could say young people will literally die if we don't cut pensions and it would still be a massive vote loser. Ditto house prices. Young people can't afford to buy houses, do older people care? Of course not, they just want the superficial satisfaction of seeing their house increase in value and to hell with anybody else.

In a reasonable society there would be an expectation that older voters vote with the lives of young people in mind, but for all their experience I don't think there's any evidence they actually do that. The baby boomer generation seem in many ways to have gone out of their way to screw over the next generation as much as possible.

Older people? would that include many parents who help their children get a foot on the housing ladder? and whose fault is it house prices are so high, supply and demand Bob, not enough available housing. Youngsters now have to put down ridiculous deposits to secure a mortgage and to be honest a lot has changed over the past 20 years most youngsters these days live for today and want new cars, mobile phones etc oh and on the lash a few times a week, saving is not a priority. House rentals are also ridiculously high as a result of property developers portfolios, so I think you're statement is a little off track.

I totally agree 100%. Many 16/17 year old's may think they know it all, but they most certainly do not! Experience, and only experience, as well as an open mind, is the crux of knowledge, out in the wide world. They simply are not streetwise, and certainly not unintelligent either, but many are impetuous, and lack many facets and comprehension of the monster the EU has become, over 40 years.

One day, they will hopefully comprehend, that leaving the EU, was the best thing to do. They will reap the benefits, in the years to come, and benefits they will most certainly be.

The only news that has cheered me up today was that 75% of 18 - 24yr olds voted to stay.

Maybe the future might not be so bleak. My streetwise dad who has 70yrs experience voted

to leave because "we beat these bastards in the war and now they're telling us what we can

and can't do".

Not sure what those who have started a petition for a 2nd referendum hope to achieve. 

The worst part is it's got over 200k signatures. It's like they've failed to comprehend those who wanted to vote, voted, what would even change? Are remain going to bag a couple more million votes somehow?

Some of the stuff on social media today is just embarrassing. 

Not sure what those who have started a petition for a 2nd referendum hope to achieve. 

The worst part is it's got over 200k signatures. It's like they've failed to comprehend those who wanted to vote, voted, what would even change? Are remain going to bag a couple more million votes somehow?

These petition are on the site for a year, this one is up until November this year, so was obviously put up in November 2015. If you read the blurb it's asking for legislation to be introduced that if the vote was less than something like 55% either way with a turnout below 75% it would trigger a 2nd referendum. I'm not denying interest may have increased after the result, but this could easily have been set up by a leave supporting just in case they lost.

These petition are on the site for a year, this one is up until November this year, so was obviously put up in November 2015. If you read the blurb it's asking for legislation to be introduced that if the vote was less than something like 55% either way with a turnout below 75% it would trigger a 2nd referendum. I'm not denying interest may have increased after the result, but this could easily have been set up by a leave supporting just in case they lost.

Are you sure? 

On the website it says all petitions run for six months.

https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/131215

Don't get me wrong you could be right, It could've been set up by either if that is the case, it's just strange so news sites are reporting now and it's being shared and signed today. 

EDIT: I get the impression it was created last month but updated today. 

Older people? would that include many parents who help their children get a foot on the housing ladder? and whose fault is it house prices are so high, supply and demand Bob, not enough available housing. Youngsters now have to put down ridiculous deposits to secure a mortgage and to be honest a lot has changed over the past 20 years most youngsters these days live for today and want new cars, mobile phones etc oh and on the lash a few times a week, saving is not a priority. House rentals are also ridiculously high as a result of property developers portfolios, so I think you're statement is a little off track.

Parents caring about their own children is a rather obvious exemption. What about the young people who don't have wealthy parents? Who cares about and helps them? Nobody, that's who. Certainly not today's older generation.

As for supply and demand. You're right, but supply is the main problem. There is a huge supply problem and a big reason for that is a political desire for high house prices driven by older homeowners entirely selfish desire for a useless increase in their paper wealth at the expense of the next generation.

You can abuse me for saying this, but i know for a fact some of the leave votes are purely "fvck foreigners" votes.

Renders my considered vote either way useless.

I just dont see why this was left to people to decide.

Are you sure? 

On the website it says all petitions run for six months.

https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/131215

Don't get me wrong you could be right, It could've been set up by either if that is the case, it's just strange so news sites are reporting now and it's being shared and signed today.

Certainly used to a year. 6 months would still be last month, long before today and the result being known. The news sites are reporting it because like I say people are signing it now because their unhappy, and are therefore signing it and sharing it, so it's getting more attention. It's wrong of course to sign it, but people are clearly clutching at straws, but either way it's not clear who set it up was supporting.

You can abuse me for saying this, but i know for a fact some of the leave votes are purely "fvck foreigners" votes.

That's democracy my friend

Certainly used to a year. 6 months would still be last month, long before today and the result being known. The news sites are reporting it because like I say people are signing it now because their unhappy, and are therefore signing it and sharing it, so it's getting more attention. It's wrong of course to sign it, but people are clearly clutching at straws, but either way it's not clear who set it up was supporting.

I'd say that's the case.

I signed it.

And to be quite frank from what I've seen today there's a good number of leave voters questioning themselves already. Never mind the extra numbers that could well turn out in Scotland.

It'll never happen, bed is made now.

Would have been interesting if they'd split the vote into a couple of more options, like

A) Leave the EU to reduce the number of foreigners

B) Leave the EU to take back control over obscure pieces of legislation

C) Remain in the EU to continue benefitting the economy and improving people's living standards

D) Remain in the EU because I want to draw Angela Merkel like one of my french girls

Without trying to offend you, by higher skilled jobs I was referring to doctors/surgeons as oppose to nurses/maintenance workers/other staff etc.

And, the number of doctors at the infirmary from the commonwealth far outnumber those from E.U countries.

No offence taken mate, but Greece and France train the best cardiothoracic surgeons in the world as just one example. They're known for it.

Would have been interesting if they'd split the vote into a couple of more options, like

C) Remain in the EU to continue benefitting the economy and improving people's living standards

D) Remain in the EU because I want to draw Angela Merkel like one of my french girls

2uq2jqs.jpg

Does the EU not at least have someone attractive for that option?

You missed the best one I heard today "Leave the EU because I don't like that it says EU on my passport"

I'd have ticked the last one btw. :ph34r:

You missed the best one I heard today "Leave the EU because I don't like that it says EU on my passport"

I'd have ticked the last one btw. :ph34r:

I think I can top that: "Well we can at least call Yorkshire puddings, Yorkshire puddings".

Sod the future of the country, Yorkshire puddings are at stake.

I signed it.

And to be quite frank from what I've seen today there's a good number of leave voters questioning themselves already. Never mind the extra numbers that could well turn out in Scotland.

It'll never happen, bed is made now.

That's of course your choice, but it does seem a little pointless, I guess it's a statement as much as anything, but we already knew 48% of people aren't happy, a petition isn't needed to prove that. 

Maybe you're right, maybe some voters who didn't vote the first time would turn up and vote remain. Whether or not that would be enough I don't know. 

Either way, what's done is done, I just thought people would've accepted the result for what it was. (Not saying you haven't, referring to those who believe it will happen.)

Guest MattP

Don't forget one I heard in the pub tonight - "I voted stayyy and I'm well annoyed, can't go on holiday to Maga now"

Far worthier than the pensioner in the corner talking about the Lisbon treaty. Old people should be banned.

Archived