Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
DJ Barry Hammond

Brexit Discussion Thread.

Two things which I find interesting:

The often-cited YouGov study that is presented by the somewhat bitter losers of the vote is based on a poll with 1'600 participants. You seriously want to tell me that it's supposed to be representative of the whole voting community? lol

Then we have the votes done by income group/education level/gender:

How_Britain_voted.jpg

AB are senior management

C1 are academics

C2 are handimen

DE are working force without a specific education

I find the C1 and C2 results rather interesting. You can sense that the ones in the working force are the ones directly affected by the EU's imposed free movement of people treaty.

Also, you can assume that in the youngest age group (the 18- to 24-year olds), you'll find many a student with little to no understanding for the job market or with little to no working experience.

You could put whatever spin on the figures you like.

Why assume 18-24 year olds have no understanding of the job market? theyre maybe competing with the immigrants for jobs, and still voting remain.

You could just as easily say the old people who voted leave are the closed minded ones, and those in unskilled jobs are thick.

You can spin the numbers any way you want.

Responding to peoples fears and concerns is completely the right thing to do.  This was an immensely bold decision and one I feel, in time, we will have been extremely wise to make.  In the meantime I can completely understand people who are a little unsure.

However what we are seeing across the media is unadulterated hysteria.  So far, rather than accept that the reason the country has voted this way was due to the EU's complete failure to acknowledge the risk of Brexit was real, it has been yet another opportunity for the twittering liberal middle classes to bash the white working class and pensioners.

Personally what I have seen so far, including the state of those who decided to turn up and abuse Boris Johnson outside his home yesterday, has made me even more steely in my resolve that we have made the right decision. 

Again, I don't disagree with what you've said.

However such hysteria is evidently the price to be paid, and the Leave campaign, along with its supporters, have got to find a way around it and be able to talk round people who are afraid. It's difficult, but the alternative is fostering continual alienation and division.

Why assume 18-24 year olds have no understanding of the job market? theyre maybe competing with the immigrants for jobs, and still voting remain.

You could just as easily say the old people who voted leave are the closed minded ones, and those in unskilled jobs are thick.

I said "18- to 24-year old students", not 18- to 24-year olds in general.

The rest is just claptrap on your behalf.

Again, I don't disagree with what you've said.

However such hysteria is evidently the price to be paid, and the Leave campaign, along with its supporters, have got to find a way around it and be able to talk round people who are afraid. It's difficult, but the alternative is fostering continual alienation and division.

Fantastically said !

Boris knows unless he achieves the above he is being handed a poison chalice with a loss at the next GE and

Don't bet against Cameron maybe coming back to trounce him out of power !

I said I could see no conceivable way Boris would be elected PM , I was wrong , if he manages to make the remain part of the country believe and relax then he will become an elected PM

Interesting few years ahead

Jesus, people just need to get a f***ing grip.

What the hell is wrong with people and the sense of entitlement and foot stamping when people don't get what they want.

All the idiots saying 'old people are scum and need to die or f**k off' shouldn't even have a f***king vote in my opinion.

Deal with it. I didn't want it, but we need to f***ing just get on with it instead.

I said "18- to 24-year old students", not 18- to 24-year olds in general.

The rest is just claptrap on your behalf.

Students can have jobs. Many still work full time.

And seeing as you dont know the reasons for the figures, all interpretations of them, mine and yours are claptrap anyway.

Aww those poor 18-24 year olds denied a glorious future.

18-24 turnout = 32%

Being a group of islands geographically disconeted from Europe It does appear the nationalism is almost an instinct. Keeping our own currency we never truly embraced the ideals of EU. However we are still the fifth largest economy and it may be the case that the EU need us more than we need them.

What the hell is wrong with people and the sense of entitlement and foot stamping when people don't get what they want.

All the idiots saying 'old people are scum and need to die or f**k off' shouldn't even have a f***king vote in my opinion.

Deal with it. I didn't want it, but we need to f***ing just get on with it instead.

yip.. or just have a "open season " on old people between july and october... we could have man traps laid outside care homes and sniper hides ... having a blue rinsed granny's head mounted on my lounge wall appeals..

Again, dismissing in this way isn't going to help put things back together. Going drill sergeant isn't the way forward here.

I really think it is time where the remain camp can open their own thread now and whinge to their hearts content about why all those awful uneducated knuckle dragging morons were eligible for a vote and have completely and deliberately fcuked up this country. 

They could do what the Nazis did in 1933 and burn down the Parliament when democracy didn't work for them.

snapback.png

Yeah.. the generation who stood up to defeat fascism in Europe have let down the generation who couldn't even be bothered to go out and vote for lower roaming charges...

Except that, as was said before, it wasn't.

The generation concerned were the baby boomers immediately after WW2...a generation given amazing economic and societal gifts by the one before them.

Lord Ashcroft data suggests it was 32%.

And herein is the problem.

If you don't vote and a demographic that disagrees with you does, then you're going to be in trouble.

Lord Ashcroft data suggests it was 32%.

Pretty embarrassing really. I'm sure other posters will have seen young people blaming the older generation for taking their future away. How about questioning the apathy of some of your peers for failing to protect it?

Students can have jobs. Many still work full time.

And seeing as you dont know the reasons for the figures, all interpretations of them, mine and yours are claptrap anyway.

And the student/young voter turnout was...?

The Ashcroft study that I quoted put the total voting turnout into demographics. Would you like to argue those percentages are flawed? Then please go ahead...

And the student/young voter turnout was...?

The Ashcroft study that I quoted put the total voting turnout into demographics. Would you like to argue those percentages are flawed? Then please go ahead...

Im not arguing the percentages are flawed. And i dont know what the student turnout was.

I said all attempts to interpret the numbers were our own personal claptrap

Pretty embarrassing really. I'm sure other posters will have seen young people blaming the older generation for taking their future away. How about questioning the apathy of some of your peers for failing to protect it?

It needs to be spread far and wide IMO because the abuse our pensioners are getting is turning very VERY nasty.

Im not arguing the percentages are flawed. And i dont know what the student turnout was.

I said all attempts to interpret the numbers were our own personal claptrap

Probably the truest of your statements so far.

Except that, as was said before, it wasn't.

The generation concerned were the baby boomers immediately after WW2...a generation given amazing economic and societal gifts by the one before them.

And herein is the problem.

If you don't vote and a demographic that disagrees with you does, then you're going to be in trouble.

I suppose experiencing more of life and gaining a certain amount of knowledge and wisdom that comes with age is vastly overrated..i'm sure people in their twenties know it all these days.. the idea the "baby boomers" have lived in a kind of wonderful golden age is a hoot.. my mam used to do the washing in a dolly tub....... anyway.. I don't tend to see too many people under thirty in the european parliament...perhaps that's where they went wrong.

Probably the truest of your statements so far.

Your analysis of the voting was claptrap. You dont know any facts.

Dont bother quoting back either as this discussion is going nowhere.

Your analysis of the voting was claptrap. You dont know any facts.

Dont bother quoting back either as this discussion is going nowhere.

Hence me quoting the Ashcroft analysis and deducting a couple of interesting stats.

I think you're caught up in the post-vote hysteria. It's ok. It'll subside. Eventually.

Archived