Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
DJ Barry Hammond

Brexit Discussion Thread.

Taken from something I've seen floating round Facebook:

Interesting assessment, and I really wouldn't put it beyond Cameron to fire one last shot across the bows to destroy the schemes of those who committed mutiny (to carry on the nautical references).

I posted the exact same earlier yesterday

The poison chalis of enacting article 50 !

Boris won the lottery and realised touching the ticket kills him

And I can see Cameron back at some stage !

Fair to say the result would be different if the voters knew ...

Dave not liking the decision would bottle it.

Farage would make stupid promises after the result, of what he'll do....although doesn't actually have a role/job

Farage would admit that the 350m going to the NHS was a lie.

No credible leader lined up for the Tories.

Corbyn on the edge

The EU are now promising to change.  A bit different to the  the vote swing arrogant comments of - if you go you won't come back and you will get no more allowances- take it or leave it basically

Whilst we live in a different era, we've had 800ish years of parliament without 'help'

Not me Bob. I would still want to be out of that fookin bureaucratic mess that is the EU.

These posts are ****ong stupid. It's been 2 days.

It has been two days and nobody is expecting much to have happened already but you can be sure the politicians have been thinking through the permutations in great detail for weeks and trying get themselves in the best position. Cameron seems to have played a blinder by leaving the entire process of leaving to the next leader. We'll see who really wanted Brexit when none of the brexiters come forward to take on the leadership. The more I think about this, the more i'm convinced that nobody in the tory party is going to actually hit the eject button.

What a sorry, hypocritcal,  advert for elderly "intellect". 

For such a smug, intellectually superior champion of political tolerance I actually wonder if he's ever read a dictionary.

Because he's to "Liberal" and "Democrat" what Hitler was to "kindness" and "tolerance".    

Liberal = Favouring proposals for reform, open to new ideas for progress, and tolerant of the ideas and behavior of others; broad-minded.

Democrat = advocate of democracy which equates to "Government by the people exercised either directly or through elected representatives." and "The common people considered as a primary source of political power."    

Quite how he can bear to wear the badge escapes me.

The bloke's beneath contempt.  

He referred to it as a plebiscite because it is - the definition of plebiscite, in the post two above the one you quoted, is a vote by the general public on a major decision. This definitely qualifies as such. So, between him and you, who didn't actually read the dictionary and instead jumped to conclusions based on a small section of the word used?

He referred to it as a plebiscite because it is - the definition of plebiscite, in the post two above the one you quoted, is a vote by the general public on a major decision. This definitely qualifies as such. So, between him and you, who didn't actually read the dictionary and instead jumped to conclusions based on a small section of the word used?

He didn't read a post properly and then attempted to belittle the poster or the subject of the post? This seems to becoming a recurring theme.

Cameron's made a lot of mistakes lately and one of them has been his apparent irresponsibility in making plans for the vote going against "Remaining" despite his supposed willingness to accept the result of the referendum that he called.

My oldest son made a point about that when he said that if he had to make the most important decision ever in relation to his own company, he'd never have a staff vote on the subject. Yes, he may consult those staff members with most knowledge of the problem or problems but, in the end, he'd accept responsibility for making the decision himself.

For reasons already touched on, Cameron didn't do that. He instigated the referendum and now seems to have largely washed his hands of the consequences.

It cries out for visionary leadership of a kind that reflects the views of the Brexit group but also the millions who wanted to remain because that vote is significant too and it really is important to find some balance in what comes next.

For me the EU is all-but fatally flawed and needs really rapid reform that I don't think will come about. I don't trust them any more than the politicians who've steered us into this situation since we first embarked on the folly of EU membership.

I really hope now that a genuinely honest and visionary leader comes forward to lead us into a potentially example-setting adventure of independence - but an independence that represents a commitment, wherever possible to the welfare of what, are or certainly ought to be, our European friends.           

But we should be courting new friends at the same time and reflecting a worldwide outlook based on sound principles, policies which defend the fairness and freedoms of our culture and the welfare and ambitions of all our people.

We shouldn't be afraid of what we stand for, we shouldn't be bowing our heads in fear of the unknown but should turn our example into a template for success in what is an increasingly troubled and dangerous world.        . 

He didn't read a post properly and then attempted to belittle the poster or the subject of the post? This seems to becoming a recurring theme.

From what I gather, Thrac was simply poking fun at Cable for being a "Liberal Democrat" and that his stance on the subject would be (theoretically) contradict his own party politics and/or political views by default, namely being "Liberal" and a "Democrat".

From what I gather, Thrac was simply poking fun at Cable for being a "Liberal Democrat" and that his stance on the subject would be (theoretically) contradict his own party politics and/or political views by default, namely being "Liberal" and a "Democrat".

Except not opening up such a major decision to the electorate doesn't go against the principles of being a liberal democrat - for one direct democracy is not the only type of democracy; indeed it's one we use sparingly: most of the time we use representative democracy - which wouldn't include a referendum. As for liberal, assuming we're using it as a synonym for progressive as in the definition Thraician gave, I think Clement Attlee conclusively proved it possible to be progressive and not support referendums.

Except not opening up such a major decision to the electorate doesn't go against the principles of being a liberal democrat - for one direct democracy is not the only type of democracy; indeed it's one we use sparingly: most of the time we use representative democracy - which wouldn't include a referendum. As for liberal, assuming we're using it as a synonym for progressive as in the definition Thraician gave, I think Clement Attlee conclusively proved it possible to be progressive and not support referendums.

Amazing the number of ‘liberals’/leftists who claim to speak for the oppressed but heap abuse on them when they dare to speak for themselves

•  

Guest LCFC_World

Didn't Farage demand a second referendum in the result of a narrow remain win? The only difference is that he had the cheek to ask before the event.

I agree what's done is done, but let's not act like if the shoe was on the other foot, some wouldn't be acting the same.

I'd say Thrac worded it a bit badly - the notion being that a "Liberal Democrat" would have to be responding positively to the electoral result by nature, because as a "Liberal", he should be open for new ideas or movements and as a "Democrat", he should hold the idea of democracy up high and accept a democratic decision.

I don't think Thrac was arguing with the plebiscite part per se.

However, how did Vince Cable get elected in the first place to get where he is now?

And to twist the somewhat reactionary logic from the "Remain" camp in another context: Should (former) MPs like Vince Cable be allowed to stay in a legislative position at 70+ years old? At what point/age do we question the sanity of the people we elect to represent the people? Should there be a threshold?

It's really bugging me how normal everyday people keep going on about how worried they are of a recession because of this. I know it's bad, and there is effects from it. But is it really that bad? Are we going to become like a third world country? When it happened last time it literally made no impact on my life or people I knew lives. Its basically horrendous for the establishment and for normal everyday people there really is minimal impact on ure life

Guest LCFC_World

So the leave campaign asked for a 2nd referendum. Thanks for confirming that.

They didn't ask for a 2nd referendum..?

Cameron's made a lot of mistakes lately and one of them has been his apparent irresponsibility in making plans for the vote going against "Remaining" despite his supposed willingness to accept the result of the referendum that he called.

My oldest son made a point about that when he said that if he had to make the most important decision ever in relation to his own company, he'd never have a staff vote on the subject. Yes, he may consult those staff members with most knowledge of the problem or problems but, in the end, he'd accept responsibility for making the decision himself.

For reasons already touched on, Cameron didn't do that. He instigated the referendum and now seems to have largely washed his hands of the consequences.

It cries out for visionary leadership of a kind that reflects the views of the Brexit group but also the millions who wanted to remain because that vote is significant too and it really is important to find some balance in what comes next.

For me the EU is all-but fatally flawed and needs really rapid reform that I don't think will come about. I don't trust them any more than the politicians who've steered us into this situation since we first embarked on the folly of EU membership.

I really hope now that a genuinely honest and visionary leader comes forward to lead us into a potentially example-setting adventure of independence - but an independence that represents a commitment, wherever possible to the welfare of what, are or certainly ought to be, our European friends.           

But we should be courting new friends at the same time and reflecting a worldwide outlook based on sound principles, policies which defend the fairness and freedoms of our culture and the welfare and ambitions of all our people.

We shouldn't be afraid of what we stand for, we shouldn't be bowing our heads in fear of the unknown but should turn our example into a template for success in what is an increasingly troubled and dangerous world.        . 

Have to agree Thrac about Cameron.

They didn't ask for a 2nd referendum..?

So why did you post a tweet where Cameron responded to the suggestion? Or does he make a habit of responding to things that never happened?

It's really bugging me how normal everyday people keep going on about how worried they are of a recession because of this. I know it's bad, and there is effects from it. But is it really that bad? Are we going to become like a third world country? When it happened last time it literally made no impact on my life or people I knew lives. Its basically horrendous for the establishment and for normal everyday people there really is minimal impact on ure life

I hope you're right. Sincerely I do.

In my opinion it's best the EU comes to an end soon. In about 25 years time I can imagine no countries having there own identity at all. There will just be nationals of all countries all over the place but 10 fold what it's like now. Europe would slowly become just one big country

Archived