Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
DJ Barry Hammond

Brexit Discussion Thread.

I don't disagree. But (as I've said on here repeatedly), berating people and telling them to "get over it" isn't going to convince people to work together. It's daft and self defeating.

What I meant was that I find it strange to see people get so emotionally wound up about a construct or concept as abstract as the European Union.

Part of me will probably never understand how you can mourn it as you do when you've lost a dear family member. To me, it doesn't add up. But I'll respect the silent, self-reflecting mourning nonetheless.

The EEC was a magnificent event , free trade and guaranteed peace

The EU was and is a mess and needs to be reformed back to focus just on trade and guaranteed peace

Free movement is a joke , and needs limiting

I still think there will be renegotiations and a 2nd referendum on accepting the outcome of those renegotiations

The euro is likely to really struggle , the Piiigs countries are all in trouble still and Brexit is likely to turn the heat up

We are without a leader , no mandate , no plan , not options and not a fecking clue what to do

And the longer we don't enact the article , the more it looks like chaos is on its way

agree on the whole, except the need for a second referendum.

I dont care as long as some fvcker will just come out and say how the brexit government will run things.

Would have been nice if that proposal had been put forward before people actually voted, eh. People voted to leave the EU without having a ****ing clue about the consequences other than 'get our country back!' a vote for leave was well and truly a vote for the unknown and nobody, NOBODY should be voting for any unknown.

Funnily enough I think there will be a lot of hurt and pain within that unknown and some of the most affected will be those people who voted leave for whatever reason. They'll realise that it really wasn't what they were promised and there will be a lot of 'we told you so' going on. Oh well, if you will wonder into the dark without a flashlight...

Would have been nice if that proposal had been put forward before people actually voted, eh. People voted to leave the EU without having a ****ing clue about the consequences other than 'get our country back!' a vote for leave was well and truly a vote for the unknown and nobody, NOBODY should be voting for any unknown.

Funnily enough I think there will be a lot of hurt and pain within that unknown and some of the most affected will be those people who voted leave for whatever reason. They'll realise that it really wasn't what they were promised and there will be a lot of 'we told you so' going on. Oh well, if you will wonder into the dark without a flashlight...

Voters voting against the known perhaps

Can't stand this meme, "colonises half the world, complains of immigration"

1. We still need immigration. The vote was a referendum on the EU not on immigration (as much as people want to make it out as such).

2. The colonies got independence, we are getting ours now.

Someone else has posted about how the EU is an important post world war 2 pillar keeping Europe from dangerous nationalism. I had to point out it is very post war as it was established in 1993!

And the fact that it was our forefathers that did all of invading not us.

It is bit like complaining about the milky taste of the tea or coffee yet getting blamed because I am British and we are famous for putting milk in our hot beverages.

Voters voting against the known perhaps

Yep.

Even if there is no plan, they got their country back.

Sure, it could probably be totally fvcked. But they got it back.

It is Sunday morning and I was musing on what has occurred.

Is Farage secretly gutted?

Now that we are out of the EU unless some last minute shenanigans occur he and UKIP have become largely irrelevant.

This coming from the clown who called me a veiled bigot and racist ..anyway I don't want to engage with you until you man up and withdraw that disgracebful accusation.you won't though.. so do one.. .

If the cap fits, wear it.

Take a look at how many people repped that post - I'm far from alone in my opinion of you as a racist.

The EEC was a magnificent event , free trade and guaranteed peace

The EU was and is a mess and needs to be reformed back to focus just on trade and guaranteed peace

Free movement is a joke , and needs limiting

I still think there will be renegotiations and a 2nd referendum on accepting the outcome of those renegotiations

The euro is likely to really struggle , the Piiigs countries are all in trouble still and Brexit is likely to turn the heat up

We are without a leader , no mandate , no plan , not options and not a fecking clue what to do

And the longer we don't enact the article , the more it looks like chaos is on its way

Agree with the early bit Paddy especially item 2, which is why we have left.   Hope we abide by this decision cus if we don't then every decision in the future will be looked at again and again and we will get nowhere.   Decision made accept it.

I'm not so sure about the last 2 bits ...    we do have a leader and he will stay until someone else is installed.  Our 'plan' needs to be carefully thought through once the dust has settled and when WE decide its time to formally pull the plug we will ...   and not pander to those bleating fools that are clamouring for a quick exit.    Merkel says 'no need to be hasty' and she is right ...    and they listen to her.  There will be uncertainty and there will be a few bridges to cross but there will not be chaos.   Rest assured we have done the right thing for now and the future ...   for ourselves (and our children) and indeed Europe.    

Guest MattP

So turnout between 18-25 year olds was less than 30% compared to the national average of 72%?

Most young people didn't vote to stay in, that vast majority couldn't give a shit.

So turnout between 18-25 year olds was less than 30% compared to the national average of 72%?

Most young people didn't vote to stay in, that vast majority couldn't give a shit.

Can you seriously lay all the blame at their door though, given they're governed by a political class who, by and large, don't want to know them?

For every moronic teenager our there more arsed about who was voted out of Love Island than the referendum, there will be many who genuinely felt too ill-informed to make a decision either way. Is it so irresponsible of them to abstein if that's the case?

I'm not seeking to absolve young people who should have taken more initiative to find out more here by the way, just seeking to explain it.

There was utter rot from both sides of the debate at the top, and the political establishment should be fvcking ashamed that it has allowed the youth of this country to become so disenfranchised that most didn't want to be a part of probably the biggest political decision of their lives.

Can you seriously lay all the blame at their door though, given they're governed by a political class who, by and large, don't want to know them?

For every moronic teenager our there more arsed about who was voted out of Love Island than the referendum, there will be many who genuinely felt too ill-informed to make a decision either way. Is it so irresponsible of them to abstein if that's the case?

I'm not seeking to abslove young people who should have taken more initiative to find out more here by the way, just seeking to explain it.

There was utter rot from both sides of the debate at the top, and the political establishment should be fvcking ashamed that it has allowed the youth of this country to become so disenfranchised that most didn't want to be a part of probably the biggest political decision of their lives.

Hmmmm .... 'Most didn't want to be part of probably the biggest political decision of their lives' ..... Nope I'll stick with MattP's 'Couldnt give a sh1t''.

I'm not seeking to abslove young people who should have taken more initiative to find out more here by the way, just seeking to explain it.

It's not a case of blaming young people. It's proving the claim that young people desperately wanted to remain is bollox.

Whilst my view about the result being the wrong one and made through uninformed people voting I must say the ridiculousness of so many "remain" voters after the decision is pathetic (not those on here but those shown on the news).

Young people blaming the old. Pathetic. We old people were 16 , 18 , 25 and we know how full of uninformed false BS we were then. Over 18's had the chance to vote, many didn't. Under 18s will have many chances to vote in the future - let's see what percentage does.

Your lives are not ruined, get over yourselves.

Those arguing that the oldies lived through things before the EU - behave! To have been an adult before England joined the common market  you've got to be nearly retired and most of those people were youngsters just as blind as the youngsters of today if not more blind.

And for those leave talking about people who fought through the wars to make England free. OMG! Anyone fighting in the second world war is in their 90's.

Votes been made. Make the most of what you have. Most people in the UK are very very well off compared to the rest of the world. Be happy with what you have and stop complaining.

SKY and other outlets talking about the 2m who have signed for another referendum - 18m said leave unless at least 2m of them want to change their mind what are you even reporting this for.

24h news seemed such a great idea when we lived in the dark ages - it's turned out to be such a terrible thing where making news and overgloryfying news has corrupted the reporting.

It's not a case of blaming young people. It's proving the claim that young people desperately wanted to remain is bollox.

Those 18-24s who voted were a massive remain majority - so saying the youth vote was for remain is completely accurate.

Hmmmm .... 'Most didn't want to be part of probably the biggest political decision of their lives' ..... Nope I'll stick with MattP's 'Couldnt give a sh1t''.

Meant to quote and repped you by accident, be grateful if a mod could rectify that. But it's exactly that attitude which ensures what I've said will only get worse.

You can't expect young people to be involved in something they feel remote from. It's the same principle which has seen the Labour Party lose support in its working class heartlands in recent years.

Archived