Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
DJ Barry Hammond

Brexit Discussion Thread.

Meant to quote and repped you by accident, be grateful if a mod could rectify that. But it's exactly that attitude which ensures what I've said will only get worse.

You can't expect young people to be involved in something they feel remote from. It's the same principle which has seen the Labour Party lose support in its working class heartlands in recent years.

We were all young once .... And I'll rep you back to even the score.

Sorry can't do smiley face on my iPad.

We were all young once .... And I'll rep you back to even the score.

Sorry can't do smiley face on my iPad.

Nice to know we're keeping this civilised haha.

What to you mean by 'we were all young once' though? Politicians have a duty to appeal to the whole electorate. They can't just expect young people to feel politically engaged by default.

They're blatantly failing in this duty and it's very, very sad.

Nice to know we're keeping this civilised haha.

What to you mean by 'we were all young once' though? Politicians have a duty to appeal to the whole electorate. They can't just expect young people to feel politically engaged by default.

They're blatantly failing in this duty and it's very, very sad.

By all young once I meant we can all comment on this as 'We were all young once'. Sadly I recall that at that time I couldn't give a sh1t and was more interested in shagging and beer.

I'm sure it is sad but I'm not sure how it can be dealt with.

So turnout between 18-25 year olds was less than 30% compared to the national average of 72%?

Most young people didn't vote to stay in, that vast majority couldn't give a shit.

But isn't this all just guesstimation as voters ages are not recorded

What I meant was that I find it strange to see people get so emotionally wound up about a construct or concept as abstract as the European Union.

Part of me will probably never understand how you can mourn it as you do when you've lost a dear family member. To me, it doesn't add up. But I'll respect the silent, self-reflecting mourning nonetheless.

Personally I couldn't care less that we're exiting the EU as political union, what worries me is how the huge uncertainty created by this movement will directly impact my life as a result of the impact on our economy.  The MPs who campaigned for leave need to buck their ideas up this week and put together a viable plan for what the hell we do next and convince the markets and investors that everything is going to be ok.  Uncertainty will stifle our markets and no matter how much people might want to deny it the longer the uncertainty goes on the more likely it is we'll be back in a recession with people losing their jobs and being directly affected by this decision.  If I'm sat here in three months unemployed (which, given my industry, is quite likely) and the country's still got no plan of action you'll have to excuse me for being emotionally wound up by the decision.  The firm I work for carried out a lot of work prior to the referendum and opined that a leave vote would, in so many words, cause a shit time for everyone for 1-2 years and a not great time for 5-7 years.  I hope they're wrong I really do but if they're right then we've self imposed a generation to struggle for something that could take decades to showing benefits.

It's starting to become clear that it's actually next to impossible to leave the EU. All that money and time spent on the referendum for nothing. I've got a feeling this is going to cause riots and all sorts. The country is divided. People donating money to leave campaign for nothing. This whole thing is very sad tbh. I just hope the EU ceases to exist soon.

Can't stand this meme, "colonises half the world, complains of immigration"

1. We still need immigration. The vote was a referendum on the EU not on immigration (as much as people want to make it out as such).

2. The colonies got independence, we are getting ours now.

Someone else has posted about how the EU is an important post world war 2 pillar keeping Europe from dangerous nationalism. I had to point out it is very post war as it was established in 1993!

I completely agree that the meme is awful. As with most political memes. Not quite sure how you can compare UK being in the EU to being colonised though.

I completely agree that the meme is awful. As with most political memes. Not quite sure how you can compare UK being in the EU to being colonised though.

Well that is kinda the point I guess. The meme doesn't work at all in relation to the referendum. Yet it has cropped up numerous times on my feed as people use it to object to our exit.

Well that is kinda the point I guess. The meme doesn't work at all in relation to the referendum. Yet it has cropped up numerous times on my feed as people use it to object to our exit.

Indeed.

You're going to get all sorts of stupid stuff pop up as people try to over-simplify a complicated situation. We live in an age where opinion and belief has been reduced to a meme and a 'like'. I've avoided social media for the past couple of days, I was even defending brexiters on there on Friday despite voting In. May we live in interesting times. At least we won the league.

Indeed.

You're going to get all sorts of stupid stuff pop up as people try to over-simplify a complicated situation. We live in an age where opinion and belief has been reduced to a meme and a 'like'. I've avoided social media for the past couple of days, I was even defending brexiters on there on Friday despite voting In. May we live in interesting times. At least we won the league.

As someone else posted, this is why I like talking about this stuff on here. People respect each other and have a good chat.

Especially Moose isn't being as obvious these days (what's his new name?!) and Lamby seems to be sticking to what he knows (?!!).

Yep.

Even if there is no plan, they got their country back.

Sure, it could probably be totally fvcked. But they got it back.

Well in fairness the country wanted to leave they have done their part, I agree it is appalling that DC does not appear to have any exit plan, a bit strange as he was the one who put the vote to the country and said he would immediately implement article 50,and has now fcuked off, this unfortunately showed the same level of arrogance/ignorance as the EU. To be honest I think we have a fantastic opportunity now on the world stage and as I have posted earlier the person who has impressed me enormously is Andrea Leadsom , excellent in the Brexit debates and I believe the right person to carry us forward. 

Guest MattP

My figure was wrong.

According to the Sunday politics turnout was 24% among 18-25 year olds.

It's hard to describe my contempt for that, not having this bollocks about engaging people either, it's your responsibility to educate yourself and get involved in political discussion, to say someone has to do it for you is part of this modern "it's everyone but myself" fault for whatever the problem.

As someone else posted, this is why I like talking about this stuff on here. People respect each other and have a good chat.

Sure.

Although honestly I'm very disappointed that it's come to this, I think it's a knee-jerk reaction made by people who have legitimate gripes but lashed out at the wrong target. But I'm usually wrong about everything, and there's a shit storm coming soon to Europe anyway, Brexit or Bremain.

We'll have to discuss it over a çay in Istanbul some time.

Sure.

Although honestly I'm very disappointed that it's come to this, I think it's a knee-jerk reaction made by people who have legitimate gripes but lashed out at the wrong target. But I'm usually wrong about everything, and there's a shit storm coming soon to Europe anyway, Brexit or Bremain.

We'll have to discuss it over a çay in Istanbul some time.

I agree. For me Brexit won as soon as Juncker said no more negotiations. They really could have handled it better.

Istanbul is a glorious city. 2018 FT meet up!!

I agree. For me Brexit won as soon as Juncker said no more negotiations. They really could have handled it better.

Istanbul is a glorious city. 2018 FT meet up!!

Hopefully by then I won't have been repatriated....

I think a lot of people have realised the magnitude of what leaving the EU actually means. I think a second referendum would show a different result, quite significantly and I think the voter turnout would be even higher now that people understand, in the cold harsh light of day, what is actually at stake. I think it took this first referendum to show the campaigns up for then turgid, lying, scare-mongering pieces of shit they were and a second referendum would actually be based on some of the facts that have come to light since. 

People who either didn't vote, sat on the fence or voted leave because they simply thought it would never happen but their vote would still be a bit of a **** you to the establishment would actually go out and vote remain instead. 

Personally I couldn't care less that we're exiting the EU as political union, what worries me is how the huge uncertainty created by this movement will directly impact my life as a result of the impact on our economy.  The MPs who campaigned for leave need to buck their ideas up this week and put together a viable plan for what the hell we do next and convince the markets and investors that everything is going to be ok.  Uncertainty will stifle our markets and no matter how much people might want to deny it the longer the uncertainty goes on the more likely it is we'll be back in a recession with people losing their jobs and being directly affected by this decision.  If I'm sat here in three months unemployed (which, given my industry, is quite likely) and the country's still got no plan of action you'll have to excuse me for being emotionally wound up by the decision.  The firm I work for carried out a lot of work prior to the referendum and opined that a leave vote would, in so many words, cause a shit time for everyone for 1-2 years and a not great time for 5-7 years.  I hope they're wrong I really do but if they're right then we've self imposed a generation to struggle for something that could take decades to showing benefits.

Great post.

It's starting to become clear that it's actually next to impossible to leave the EU. All that money and time spent on the referendum for nothing. I've got a feeling this is going to cause riots and all sorts. The country is divided. People donating money to leave campaign for nothing. This whole thing is very sad tbh. I just hope the EU ceases to exist soon.

In order to better reply to your comments could you tell me your age (or age range) please.

Well in fairness the country wanted to leave they have done their part, I agree it is appalling that DC does not appear to have any exit plan, a bit strange as he was the one who put the vote to the country and said he would immediately implement article 50,and has now fcuked off, this unfortunately showed the same level of arrogance/ignorance as the EU. To be honest I think we have a fantastic opportunity now on the world stage and as I have posted earlier the person who has impressed me enormously is Andrea Leadsom , excellent in the Brexit debates and I believe the right person to carry us forward. 

People (remainers) asked the leave campaign what there plan was for after an exit and the reply was that they were scare mongering. I would've thought that voters would have understood this and therefore the exiters have voted for not having a plan is better than the status quo.

My figure was wrong.

According to the Sunday politics turnout was 24% among 18-25 year olds.

It's hard to describe my contempt for that, not having this bollocks about engaging people either, it's your responsibility to educate yourself and get involved in political discussion, to say someone has to do it for you is part of this modern "it's everyone but myself" fault for whatever the problem.

People don't think that voting makes any difference and I can understand their feelings having watched the last few elections national and local in the UK from afar. A new breed of Politicians who work for the populous instead of themselves is needed.

I think a lot of people have realised the magnitude of what leaving the EU actually means. I think a second referendum would show a different result, quite significantly and I think the voter turnout would be even higher now that people understand, in the cold harsh light of day, what is actually at stake. I think it took this first referendum to show the campaigns up for then turgid, lying, scare-mongering pieces of shit they were and a second referendum would actually be based on some of the facts that have come to light since. 

People who either didn't vote, sat on the fence or voted leave because they simply thought it would never happen but their vote would still be a bit of a **** you to the establishment would actually go out and vote remain instead. 

They had long enough to realise the magnitude.

They had their chance.

Now work with what you have - it's still a lot.

There is nothing different about today as there was last week. How on earth have people realised 'in the cold hard light of day' that Brexit was wrong?

The markets dipped (expected), the sun came up, it rained, my two year old shat his pants, the world continued to spin, footballers were still allowed to earn millions, plumbers plumbed.

Stop with the awful overreaction!

No fear of that for me!

I'm long gone, so I guess I don't have much of a dog in the fight for Brexit!!

The difference is that you are in Africa and not as directly affected as those of us in Europe.

I'm cool and will sort out whatever I need to but I've heard a lot of the Spanish retirees panicking about their medical insurance - which is covered at the moment and an old nearly dead guy from near here in France was telling me how his pension took a 10% smack this week, worrying him enough to push him closer to death.

Lads who is going to lead the negotiations ?

We are going to be shafted by the EU

And someone is going to become the English Michael Collins !

Boris or Gove are going to come back with a terrible deal and their political career will be dead !

David Cameron is one very very smart cookie !

The twists and turns to come are poisonous for some people and their political ambitions

Archived