Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
DJ Barry Hammond

Brexit Discussion Thread.

Ironically it looks like French border control might just sack off their duty to keep migrants from crossing the channel and let everyone currently in the 'jungle camp' at Calais hop on a ferry.

"Not our problem anymore..."  

Exit the EU and regain control of our borders... or not.  :D

Indeed - now the biggest scapegoat in the room has been removed who's going to take the flak for all of the country's problems now? Who will the media choose to blame next? 

Offering 2/1 non-EU immigrants, 3/1 labour voters, 7/2 Roy Hodgson and evens on the unemployed.

People seriously think a 1.4million majority would be overturned in a week?

We're going from anger to delusion now.

I do, yes.

There's 46,500,001 people eligible to vote and only 33,551,983 voted.

Only 700k would need to change their decision and thats before thinking about the 13m that didn't vote.

I do, yes.

There's 46,500,001 people eligible to vote and only 33,551,983 voted.

Only 700k would need to change their decision and thats before thinking about the 13m that didn't vote.

I'd hazard a guess that unfortunately a large part of the 13m that didn't vote would have voted remain as well - but didn't, purely based on speculation that leave wouldn't even get close so 'what does my vote matter anyway?'

Yep. But I'm pretty certain I won't be having to do that any time soon. 

You'll get at least two years of a transitional period where things will hardly change for the better or the worse. What happens after that, we'll see. Put the faith in your MPs and your government for once, because by then you'll see a vastly changed Parliament (at least on the opposition's side).

I genuinely never realised how much of a weapon @@daz*dsb is, till I read the last few pages on here.

Make it personal if that makes you feel any better - clearly you've struggled to come up with any coherent argument to contribute to the discussion, like everyone else has been doing. 

I'd hazard a guess that unfortunately a large part of the 13m that didn't vote would have voted remain as well - but didn't, purely based on speculation that leave wouldn't even get close so 'what does my vote matter anyway?'

Well, it's a guess either way, but I would imagine that there are plenty of younger people who would make more of an effort to vote.

I've seen far more reaction of "oh no what have we done" than celebrations of leaving.

I don't think anyone can say a referendum would have a different outcome for certain but I was just replying to the idea that it's "delusional" to expect ~2% of the leave voters or abstainers to vote to change their minds and remain.

Can I just ask purely as I've not heard from anyone who is a leaver; Has anyone here been directly, negatively affected by the EU, because apart from maybe fishermen and quotas, I can't really think if any?

Still no-one?

Well, it's a guess either way, but I would imagine that there are plenty of younger people who would make more of an effort to vote.

I've seen far more reaction of "oh no what have we done" than celebrations of leaving.

I don't think anyone can say a referendum would have a different outcome for certain but I was just replying to the idea that it's "delusional" to expect ~2% of the leave voters or abstainers to vote to change their minds and remain.

If they didn't vote shouldn't that  be "What Have I done?"

or "what haven't I done?"

I'm in agreement mate. I genuinely think everyone that wanted to vote Leave will have done - because they have previous when it comes to shouting the loudest. At the same time, I think that, rather stupidly a lot of Remain voters will have been somewhat apathetic towards going out and voting because they assumed Remain was in the bag anyway. 

If they didn't vote shouldn't that  be "What Have I done?"

or "what haven't I done?"

Well, both.

I've seen a lot of leavers furious now the lies told by the leave campaign have come to light.

Make it personal if that makes you feel any better - clearly you've struggled to come up with any coherent argument to contribute to the discussion, like everyone else has been doing.

You' are just spouting rubbish with no real substance. Essentially shouting scare-mongering drivel, is what you've been doing. I can't even begin myself to debate with you as you said 51.9% is not a majority.

I didn't want to bring this up because of it's sensitivity but the abhorrent murder of Jo Cox must have had an effect on the remain result I know at least two friends who voted to remain because of this tragedy, there must have been an awful lot of people who couldn't quite make up their minds who would have decided that their vote would count towards Jo's legacy and I am not vilifying that before any one jumps down my throat merely suggesting the result for Brexit may have been wider.

I didn't want to bring this up because of it's sensitivity but the abhorrent murder of Jo Cox must have had an effect on the remain result I know at least two friends who voted to remain because of this tragedy, there must have been an awful lot of people who couldn't quite make up their minds who would have decided that their vote would count towards Jo's legacy and I am not vilifying that before any one jumps down my throat merely suggesting the result for Brexit may have been wider.

Possibly. I also wonder how many Scottish or Irish nationalists voted 'out' to trigger the uncertainty we see now. Single issue referenda tend to attract people from so many wildly different positions.

You' are just spouting rubbish with no real substance. Essentially shouting scare-mongering drivel, is what you've been doing. I can't even begin myself to debate with you as you said 51.9% is not a majority.

So why have you then?

This thread is full of people shouting rubbish with no substance - on both sides, yet you've chosen to pull my name out of the hat. I've obviously hit a nerve somewhere. 

If you don't want to engage in conversation with me then perhaps you shouldn't call me out personally in a post.

Can I just ask purely as I've not heard from anyone who is a leaver; Has anyone here been directly, negatively affected by the EU, because apart from maybe fishermen and quotas, I can't really think if any?

Yes, until about 10 years ago I used to bid for print contracts but could never fairly compete as printers from other countries were subsidised by EU grants

I don't doubt that - could have been a 20 point margin without that sorry event. However, whilst the vote returned so close (2% swing was all that was needed) and has given some horrible positions in terms of the way regions voted, it makes making an ultimate decision on what to do next very difficult, especially if with the benefit of post referendum foresight there are clear and unavoidable issues.

Well, both.

I've seen a lot of leavers furious now the lies told by the leave campaign have come to light.

The lies were always there.

They just didn't want to see them.

Well, both.

Well it was a point I had made quite a few times prior - that those voting Leave didn't really know what they were voting for. It was very clear to me they were promising too much, things that couldn't go together and had no clear plan or priorities.

Interestingly, I'm sure before the referendum I saw some stuff on the leave side suggesting a plan was to enact emergency legislation to change the immigration and legal supremacy positions, and after that repeal the act that allows the EU to act on our behalf.

Archived