Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
DJ Barry Hammond

Brexit Discussion Thread.

One of my biggest fears of a Leave vote was that those racists, xenophobes and bigots who attached themselves to the campaign would see it as a justification for being able to attack migrants, foreigners and even Brits of foreign descent; and unfortunately it already looks to be proving true.

I am British by birth, as is my entire family, however with my work and social group I have a huge affinity with Poland, and Central/Eastern Europe in general. Hearing of some of these attacks have even had me even worrying for my own safety.

I have a large number of close friends who are Polish, I follow the Polish football team, drink in Polish bars, and feel a strong connection with Poland. With Poland playing yesterday, I was going to wear my Poland shirt into the city centre before the game, but decided against it for fear of finding myself in the wrong place at the wrong time. I quite fancy heading for a beer to one of my favourite Polish bars, but now worry that there's a possibility that it could be targeted by yobs.

I may be being overly-dramatic, but at the moment I actually feel less-safe at the moment due to this than I ever have in regards to any Muslim extremism, or any other potential terror threat. I can only imagine how some of my friends and their families might be feeling.

One of my biggest fears of a Leave vote was that those racists, xenophobes and bigots who attached themselves to the campaign would see it as a justification for being able to attack migrants, foreigners and even Brits of foreign descent; and unfortunately it already looks to be proving true.

I am British by birth, as is my entire family, however with my work and social group I have a huge affinity with Poland, and Central/Eastern Europe in general. Hearing of some of these attacks have even had me even worrying for my own safety.

I have a large number of close friends who are Polish, I follow the Polish football team, drink in Polish bars, and feel a strong connection with Poland. With Poland playing yesterday, I was going to wear my Poland shirt into the city centre before the game, but decided against it for fear of finding myself in the wrong place at the wrong time. I quite fancy heading for a beer to one of my favourite Polish bars, but now worry that there's a possibility that it could be targeted by yobs.

I may be being overly-dramatic, but at the moment I actually feel less-safe at the moment due to this than I ever have in regards to any Muslim extremism, or any other potential terror threat. I can only imagine how some of my friends and their families might be feeling.

If it makes you feel any better, there are many that feel the same way.

I'm sorry to hear that mate. I certainly wouldn't condone any of that kind of behaviour.

I may be being overly-dramatic, but at the moment I actually feel less-safe at the moment due to this than I ever have in regards to any Muslim extremism, or any other potential terror threat. 

Sickening that you feel like that.

This vote has given those people a sense of entitlement to treat foreign people (whether they've been here 6 months, 1 year, 5 years, 10 years) with verbal contempt and in some cases use physical violence - all this just 2 days after the vote. 

This is only going to get worse - and it'll get worse and worse the more frustrated they become when they realise nobody is going anywhere. 

For me, someone who loves to travel, I can only foresee that eventually the hatred will be reciprocated and I won't be able to visit places like Poland any more for fear of people thinking I'm a white English racist. 

I feel really sorry for you.

The Polish have been great friends of England for so long - certainly before the EU!

I suppose it makes me glad that I'm not the only one, but equally why should I be glad that so many other people are feeling like this?

You shouldn't of course. Maybe I worded it wrong. Just that your words rang very true.

I have a lot of Eastern European friends in the UK who are worried, and tired of being portrayed as low-skilled, or poor, or unscrupulous job-knickers. They've taken the result with a hell of a lot of very black humour, which is something I love about Eastern Europe and its inhabitants. Of course, they'll be told that if they don't like it, they can go home. And many will. If European migrants leave it'll be the UK that loses out.

I feel really sorry for you.

The Polish have been great friends of England for so long - certainly before the EU!

I appreciate it; however I can wear a different t-shirt, drink in a different bar, and I'll be fine. Some of my friends, their families, and their children - the same as the many millions who have moved here and made this country their home - don't have that luxury. 

So much for living in Great Britain. It feels a lot less "Great" here at the moment.

that's right racism was invented on friday morning... how easily people are manipulated by certain media's agenda..

all of those tweets report things that have happened since Friday - I'm not quite sure if I remember seeing such a high number of such incidents on the Thursday, do you?

your total failure to acknowledge the fact that this vote has given out and out racists a feeling of entitlement to treat people like this is quite frankly astounding and scary - as it seems to suggest you don't see it being a problem. 

you've just suggested that Putin is more democratic than Obama. 

you're idiocy knows no bounds. no bounds at all. 

putin was put up as the bogey man by cameron....putin said nothing.. cameron's big pal was shipped over here to threaten the british people.... I will leave it to others to judge who acted more statesman like..

all of those tweets report things that have happened since Friday - I'm not quite sure if I remember seeing such a high number of such incidents on the Thursday, do you?

your total failure to acknowledge the fact that this vote has given out and out racists a feeling of entitlement to treat people like this is quite frankly astounding and scary - as it seems to suggest you don't see it being a problem. 

you are right racism was invented on friday you have convinced me..

I am pro out and I empathise with your fears. Let the panic settle down, and you'll see the sky is not falling in. Poland were supreme allies during the war and the many Polish I meet, work with and sell to on the whole are wonderful hard working polite people who have made this a much better country. I am trying to respond to this debate in a calm and sensible manner but at the moment it just seems to be an aggressive sh*t throwing match.  

In the end we will become like Norway, with a more balanced view based on the experience that the pound is and will always be stronger than the Euro and Dollar, and keep in mind that in the mid to long term placing the pound into the mix of the euro and it's possible future 35 weaker currencies will only deflate the value of our economy. DO NOT PANIC. Everything will be OK.

so you're looking for a comparison on who's acted the better statesman? 

that's completely different to your original post then which said "who's the real democrat?"

you don't even have the slightest grip on what you're writing so how anyone can take anything you say seriously is beyond me. 

jeez. 

Archived