Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
DJ Barry Hammond

Brexit Discussion Thread.

FTSE250 down 12% and counting in less than two days' trading. Nearly £100bn wiped off the markets. The redundancy letters will start coming out soon. Be on the lookout for any bigwigs making unexpected appearances in your work place.

Please scroll out to 3 months/ 6months and a year

Have people seen the latest statistics on what EU countries export to the UK and what the UK exports to the EU? It's clear who would be losing out in the long run and it isn't us.

The EU exports £41 billion to the UK, whereas we export £25 billion to the EU. This new trade agreement is just as important to the EU as it is to us, if not more so. I encourage people to listen to Paolo Barnard, an Italian economist/journalist and see from his unbiased viewpoint who he thinks has won in this referendum.

The EU will lose our 70 million people and gain Turkey's 77 million with what i believe will be very fast tracking.

Quite a potential impact that... 70m free-moving Turks and all that potential trade.  

Turkey will be at one end of Europe and The Netherlands at the other.

How appropriate it will be for Amsterdam to have the "most beautiful" mosque in Europe at the opposite end to the Hagia Sophia in Istanbul.

Once admitted to the EU, Turkey will also be entitled to the second most European Parliamentary representatives behind Germany and would overtake them by 2020, when their population passes 90million. I wonder if Germany will miss us! :D  But, whatever  it will keep Christian church and chapel architects busy for a while but they'll sure do well to keep up because Erdogan is a doer, there's no question about that as this article from May 2016 indicates.. 

INN ^ | Saturday, May 14, 2016 10:46 PM | Giulio Meotti

Posted on 5/16/2016, 9:40:18 AM by Olog-hai)

Recep Tayyip Erdogan has a great passion for mosques. Since he took power in Turkey, Mr. Erdogan has built 17,000 Islamic prayer sites.

The largest in the world stands on the Camlica Hill, dominating the Asian side of Istanbul, where the East, in the words of Cocteau, extends to Europe “its old bejeweled hand”.

The Turkish president is committed to the construction of mosques in European capitals as well.

rdogan seeks to create the image of an Islamic civilization on the rise once again with the Turks acting as the vanguard of this revival.

Ten mosques have been financed by the Turks abroad, from Mali to Moscow; five of them in the past year. Ten more are in the planning stage, including one in Cambridge, UK.  As revealed by the Frankfurter Allgemeine Zeitung recently, Turkey controls 900 mosques in Germany.

The EU will lose our 70 million people and gain Turkey's 77 million with what i believe will be very fast tracking.

Quite a potential impact that... 70m free-moving Turks and all that potential trade.  

Turkey will be at one end of Europe and The Netherlands at the other.

How appropriate it will be for Amsterdam to have the "most beautiful" mosque in Europe at the opposite end to the Hagia Sophia in Istanbul.

Once admitted to the EU, Turkey will also be entitled to the second most European Parliamentary representatives behind Germany and would overtake them by 2020, when their population passes 90million. I wonder if Germany will miss us! :D  But, whatever  it will keep Christian church and chapel architects busy for a while but they'll sure do well to keep up because Erdogan is a doer, there's no question about that as this article from May 2016 indicates.. 

INN ^ | Saturday, May 14, 2016 10:46 PM | Giulio Meotti

Posted on 5/16/2016, 9:40:18 AM by Olog-hai)

Recep Tayyip Erdogan has a great passion for mosques. Since he took power in Turkey, Mr. Erdogan has built 17,000 Islamic prayer sites.

The largest in the world stands on the Camlica Hill, dominating the Asian side of Istanbul, where the East, in the words of Cocteau, extends to Europe “its old bejeweled hand”.

The Turkish president is committed to the construction of mosques in European capitals as well.

rdogan seeks to create the image of an Islamic civilization on the rise once again with the Turks acting as the vanguard of this revival.

Ten mosques have been financed by the Turks abroad, from Mali to Moscow; five of them in the past year. Ten more are in the planning stage, including one in Cambridge, UK.  As revealed by the Frankfurter Allgemeine Zeitung recently, Turkey controls 900 mosques in Germany.

His ultimate goal is to re-establish the Ottoman empire through the expansion Islam back to the borders previously held by the empire in Europe (no joke) . Using language such as 'conquest' through 'emigration' into Europe. This was a speech he gave in May 2015.

Not to put too fine a point on it, but using the Express as a source regarding these matters is about the same as using Salon or The HuffPost the other way. Something a little more nuanced and with less of an edge, perhaps?

His ultimate goal is to re-establish the Ottoman empire through the expansion Islam back to the borders previously held by the empire in Europe (no joke) . Using language such as 'conquest' through 'emigration' into Europe. This was a speech he gave in May 2015.

Erdogan is clearly a neo-Ottomanite. It's laughable that he thinks such an objective can be realised, though.

Not to put too fine a point on it, but using the Express as a source regarding these matters is about the same as using Salon or The HuffPost the other way. Something a little more nuanced and with less of an edge, perhaps?

Erdogan is clearly a neo-Ottomanite. It's laughable that he thinks such an objective can be realised, though.

I recently completed a photo project in Southern Bulgaria, documenting Turkish communities. A lot of shiny new mosques in quite poor villages. I bravely asked where the money had come from and was told they'd had a village whip round.

The times they are a changing.

Listening to DC on PMQ's right now and I can't help but feel a tinge of sadness and regret that he'll soon be off into the wilderness. I know he's got his faults but he's done a decent job over the last six years IMO. Good luck to him, and lets hope the next PM is up for the role..

Listening to DC on PMQ's right now and I can't help but feel a tinge of sadness and regret that he'll soon be off into the wilderness. I know he's got his faults but he's done a decent job over the last six years IMO. Good luck to him, and lets hope the next PM is up for the role..

Yes and as far as I know they haven't been able to dig up a load of sh1t on him ...   which makes a change.

He should not be underestimated, his intentions are frightening.

Feel we genuinely have a chance now to grasp prosperity with both hands and take this country forward, I would expect or hope for a snap election from an incoming PM in order to gain a new mandate.

I seriously doubt current conservative economic policy will give us the future we all want.

We have to do 2 things if we want to grow the economy in a balanced way.

1) Invest into manufacturing NOW to take advantage of the low export price and cut down our Balance of trade deficit (allowing us to reinvest billions into the economy)

2) Get away from the neoliberal debt based Economy we currently follow, and start investing QEP into the real economy to build housing and business growth.

Reality - We will carry on with our failed economic policies of the last 40 years, have a ridiculously poor recovery from the current knee jerk shock, continue to let private banks create money from thin air with debt on top, pumping it into market bubbles making us all poorer, and continue to ignore our trade deficit as we continue to embark upon this ideology that being a global leader in finance will somehow make the masses richer through failed "trickle down economics"

borrowing money for nothing gives us all a chance to achieve something... as long as the ref vote losers stop talking the country down..

Not if it leads to stagflation. No one is talking the country down the international money markets are doing that free of charge. Also if our credit rating is down graded it will become harder for UKPLC to borrow money which will stuff us all as well.

Of course to those who have been prudent and saved  they get stuffed, have less money to spend in the economy etc etc. So winners and losers on both sides.

Now more than 7% down today and at its lowest level since October 2014. No sign of the fall slowing.

It's just stock market traders and investment banks being what they are, greedy.

Traders made over £150bn from the economy in the first 24 hours, I don't want to live in a society where our livelihoods are in control of people trying to make money from each other at our expense.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2016-06-22/sleepless-in-the-city-lets-traders-bet-billions-on-brexit-result

what a stupid position our politicians have got us into.

I recently completed a photo project in Southern Bulgaria, documenting Turkish communities. A lot of shiny new mosques in quite poor villages. I bravely asked where the money had come from and was told they'd had a village whip round.

The times they are a changing.

Key in "Erdogan's passion for building mosques" and you'll get your funding question answered. 

It's just stock market traders and investment banks being what they are, greedy.

Traders made over £150bn from the economy in the first 24 hours, I don't want to live in a society where our livelihoods are in control of people trying to make money from each other at our expense.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2016-06-22/sleepless-in-the-city-lets-traders-bet-billions-on-brexit-result

what a stupid position our politicians have got us into.

There will be some speculation going on for sure but there's no doubting the general sentiment and that's down

Not if it leads to stagflation. No one is talking the country down the international money markets are doing that free of charge. Also if our credit rating is down graded it will become harder for UKPLC to borrow money which will stuff us all as well.

Of course to those who have been prudent and saved  they get stuffed, have less money to spend in the economy etc etc. So winners and losers on both sides.

At present the money supply expands every time a private bank creates a loan or uses the fractional reserve system, they also add debt on top (which can never be paid back as there is more debt than money)

The alternative could be that we (the government) could easily create our own money, providing we invest it interest free and as it's paid back it is destroyed it would not cause stagflation.

The economy would benefit from temporary increases in the money supply which boosts economic activity, but as that loan is repaid it is destroyed bringing the supply back down.

Inflation is the money supply expanding.

There are better ways than the current private bank mess we have found ourselves in today, what would you rather, a private bank investing profits into bubbles, stock markets and taking it abroad to the Cayman islands.

Or a government governed by an independent money commission investing the loans into the real economy. More jobs, More prosperity, More control.

Hell, we could even put a low rate of interest on the loans and invest the profits made back in aswell.

We have built a nation that only controls 3% of it's money supply.

I'm not a fan of nationalisation as a conservative, but by christ the banks need to be nationalised.

At present the money supply expands every time a private bank creates a loan or uses the fractional reserve system, they also add debt on top (which can never be paid back as there is more debt than money)

The alternative could be that we (the government) could easily create our own money, providing we invest it interest free and as it's paid back it is destroyed it would not cause stagflation.

The economy would benefit from temporary increases in the money supply which boosts economic activity, but as that loan is repaid it is destroyed bringing the supply back down.

Inflation is the money supply expanding.

There are better ways than the current private bank mess we have found ourselves in today, what would you rather, a private bank investing profits into bubbles, stock markets and taking it abroad to the Cayman islands.

Or a government governed by an independent money commission investing the loans into the real economy. More jobs, More prosperity, More control.

Hell, we could even put a low rate of interest on the loans and invest the profits made back in aswell.

We have built a nation that only controls 3% of it's money supply.

I'm not a fan of nationalisation as a conservative, but by christ the banks need to be nationalised.

You might be a fan but I don't think you are going to get your way!

The Bank of England is ready to "find" another 250 Billion to prop up the country should it be needed. We've already pumped billions into the economy to keep it going and whilst I agree with your sentiment I'm not sure I would have the confidence in either our politicians or the overall banking system to just churn out money without a severe spike in inflation.

Wages would need to increase and just at this moment many companies are very edgy about spending money in the short and medium term until they see how this will all pan out. Everyone needs to hold their nerve but unfortunately I'm not sure they will.

Archived