Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
DJ Barry Hammond

Brexit Discussion Thread.

Still at least they're directing their vitriol at politicians who know that their decisions may lead to a backlash and not at ordinary people in the streets just trying to go about their lives.

Oh so that makes it ok to do it then

Oh so that makes it ok to do it then

No. That's why I said "still". Because the use of "still" implies an acknowledgement that what they're doing is wrong. But I wouldn't put a cardboard sign with a swear word on it aimed at a politician on quite the same level as verbally abusing ordinary people on the streets who are just trying to go about their lives.

The past page or so of this thread has all been about "oh God look at these people who are really angry at politicians with their... signs and their... sweary sweary potty mouths, the cheek of them complaining because I racially abused a polish shop attendant while they're doing that, oh my aren't they such hypocrites", so I just thought a bit of perspective was in order.

Still at least they're directing their vitriol at politicians who know that their decisions may lead to a backlash and not at ordinary people in the streets just trying to go about their lives.

As of this lunchtime today, there were 33 more hate crimes reported this month compared to last month, according to radio 2. It's not quite the surge it seems to be. Really by reporting it in a scaremongering way we risk inflaming it and frightening people, if you really care about it, stop and think what effect this could have. I'm not saying it's not disgraceful, it really is and I absolutely accept this spike is to do with brexit but let's not pretend their are racist/bigoted riots breaking out on the streets. It could actually make things worse.

Let's just face it the EU is a wounded animal it has been for many years now, I'd rather see us out of it now instead of having to prop more countries up like we have done to Greece, Portugal, Spain, Ireland and Cyprus

Now is the time to let it go and die in the corner somewhere and actually admit it was a failed experiment

A FB post from a Portuguese friend who was abused on the tube today:

"This morning I had a not-so-great experience heading to work. As usual during my commute, I begin catching up with the news on BBC and/or The Guardian, then JN (Portuguese) and if traffic, El País/La Marca (Spanish). As I began my journey on the tube a not-so-nice gentleman sitting beside me says "We read in English here." . I should have ignored it, but as a lot of us foreigners may feel on edge at the moment and I replied "I speak 4 languages." He was clearly after a reaction and said "Clearly English ain't one of them." Things progressed from then but I ignored it even after getting off at my station. The train was FULL and not a SINGLE person said a word. I could see people looking uncomfortable though. As Portuguese, I don't get to vote in a foreign country within the EU, other than council elections (because I pay council tax!). Therefore my opinion is nothing but AN opinion. Which I more often than not keep to myself. I work hard and am highly skilful in my field of expertise in a place where there are not enough nationals to cover my post. So I am not stealing anyone's job... I am also someone who has never been unemployed, therefore was lucky enough not to have to claim benefits ever in my life. Living in London and the UK has been AMAZING so far, but to be told once again to "go back to my f*****ing homeland" that is way too far. Please, if you have the same or similar opinions, keep those simply to YOURSELF, as you never know when you will need a "foreigner" to hold your hand and help you in the time of need. I wouldn't want to leave this country any time soon, so please treat me with the same respect as I treat all my friends in life and patients at the hospital, regardless of their social status, age, ethnicity, sexual orientation and nationality. We live in the United Kingdom so let us be UNITED in this time of tension and uncertainty. #Brexitsucks #Brexit #UK #Portuguese #Proud #Nurse #Discrimination"

A FB post from a Portuguese friend who was abused on the tube today:

"This morning I had a not-so-great experience heading to work. As usual during my commute, I begin catching up with the news on BBC and/or The Guardian, then JN (Portuguese) and if traffic, El País/La Marca (Spanish). As I began my journey on the tube a not-so-nice gentleman sitting beside me says "We read in English here." . I should have ignored it, but as a lot of us foreigners may feel on edge at the moment and I replied "I speak 4 languages." He was clearly after a reaction and said "Clearly English ain't one of them." Things progressed from then but I ignored it even after getting off at my station. The train was FULL and not a SINGLE person said a word. I could see people looking uncomfortable though. As Portuguese, I don't get to vote in a foreign country within the EU, other than council elections (because I pay council tax!). Therefore my opinion is nothing but AN opinion. Which I more often than not keep to myself. I work hard and am highly skilful in my field of expertise in a place where there are not enough nationals to cover my post. So I am not stealing anyone's job... I am also someone who has never been unemployed, therefore was lucky enough not to have to claim benefits ever in my life. Living in London and the UK has been AMAZING so far, but to be told once again to "go back to my f*****ing homeland" that is way too far. Please, if you have the same or similar opinions, keep those simply to YOURSELF, as you never know when you will need a "foreigner" to hold your hand and help you in the time of need. I wouldn't want to leave this country any time soon, so please treat me with the same respect as I treat all my friends in life and patients at the hospital, regardless of their social status, age, ethnicity, sexual orientation and nationality. We live in the United Kingdom so let us be UNITED in this time of tension and uncertainty. #Brexitsucks #Brexit #UK #Portuguese #Proud #Nurse #Discrimination"

Disgusting :nono:

As of this lunchtime today, there were 33 more hate crimes reported this month compared to last month, according to radio 2. It's not quite the surge it seems to be. Really by reporting it in a scaremongering way we risk inflaming it and frightening people, if you really care about it, stop and think what effect this could have. I'm not saying it's not disgraceful, it really is and I absolutely accept this spike is to do with brexit but let's not pretend their are racist/bigoted riots breaking out on the streets. It could actually make things worse.

I don't know how many people would report being verbally abused on the street to the police. I don't think I would bother personally and would expect something like 1 in 50 people would bother, maybe higher considering a lot of those on the receiving end will be Romanian and such and perhaps not sure of or confident in their rights. Obviously that's a total guess but if it's correct then multiple the 32 extra reported incidents by 50 to get a more accurate number of total incidents.

The bigger worry is that this is just the start. Maybe it's only post-brexit excitement getting to a few people's heads, but there is a real concern that those kind of people now feel entitled to abuse foreigners at will and the abuse will only get worse as it becomes clear that the foreigners are here to stay.

No. That's why I said "still". Because the use of "still" implies an acknowledgement that what they're doing is wrong. But I wouldn't put a cardboard sign with a swear word on it aimed at a politician on quite the same level as verbally abusing ordinary people on the streets who are just trying to go about their lives.

The past page or so of this thread has all been about "oh God look at these people who are really angry at politicians with their... signs and their... sweary sweary potty mouths, the cheek of them complaining because I racially abused a polish shop attendant while they're doing that, oh my aren't they such hypocrites", so I just thought a bit of perspective was in order.

I agree with you here.

Verbal abuse directed at politicians is not a problem. When it takes the form of posters and tweets no-one should be afraid for their safety. Poking your nose in someone's face and mouthing off at them would, however, give that person reason to be concerned.

It really just depends upon the scale. It's hard to tell how widespread these incidents have been.

Haters on the march....is it because boris is part turkish? 

Apparently Anna soubry  came out of the commons bar pissed up and addressed the crowd ..started crying..almost a standard saturday night..

Morons on the march, I'd say.

From that criticism I'd exclude whoever made the "Keep Europe together, Reform the EU" placard as a few brain cells were deployed for that one.

Precious little sign of any other mental activity there.

It's an odd phenomenon, because none of them look pissed off, never mind filled with hate. They're all smiling, looking happy - and pleased with themselves.

I reckon it's a conformist "groupthink" phenomenon: surround yourself with people who won't challenge your views, so you don't need to think - and can go away feeling good about yourself.

Does that count as a hate crime?

Looks more like a stupidity crime to me. There is a difference between directly abusing strangers in the street and writing some vague moronic tweet wishing that a politician was dead.

I do wonder how many of those tweeting or attending demos actually voted. I bet a fair few didn't. There's a lot of self-focused, conformist idiocy around these days.

Cl_Bm1TXEAAuFfO.jpg  Corbyn's support was out in force today...

You've got to be a little pleased on the quiet that Julian Assange has finally escaped from the Ecuadorian Embassy.

The years of isolation have been tough on him, though.

On a similar note to z-layrex above, a Portuguese-Filipina friend and one of the smartest people I know (worked with her on a Masters degree in 2012/13) posted this up yesterday:

"Just called a "fvcking p*ki" while taking the bins out... It doesn't feel like home."

That's the second time she's received abuse of this type since last Friday.

And regarding the last page, I do think there is a difference between epithets being thrown at politicians who have a certain amount of control over the processes that led us here, and someone like her who has very little.

There seems to be a very serious divide happening and denial isn't going to make it go away.

Well I was told "**** off out of this country" and "why are you even here" in A private message on this forum yesterday ranting about Catholic Irish people , the mods took action which I'm grateful for.

in 25 years living in Leics that's the first time it's happened to me , even on FT this crap is happening

Give a mindless fool a dangerous weapon (nationalism) and they will 100% use it for destructive reasons.

A few days ago I was quite enjoying the debate and banter on this thread but it really has degenerated now with a rather nasty undertone. There is a massive tidal wave of emotion on both sides of the vote which is understandable, brandishing placards with disgusting language doesn't really display any level of maturity and will only fuel the fire, Newtons third law proves this.

A few days ago I was quite enjoying the debate and banter on this thread but it really has degenerated now with a rather nasty undertone. There is a massive tidal wave of emotion on both sides of the vote which is understandable, brandishing placards with disgusting language doesn't really display any level of maturity and will only fuel the fire, Newtons third law proves this.

Some have been sanctimonious ...highlighting the so called hate campaign from leavers..I have just posted some "reality".. and never got personal...

Some have been sanctimonious ...highlighting the so called hate campaign from leavers..I have just posted some "reality".. and never got personal...

I think advocating that your position is the one that is "reality" and thus implying people who think differently aren't talking about reality, when the issue is really far from black and white, is a bit sanctimonious too, wouldn't you say?

There probably isn't a hate campaign by leave voters per se, but there does seem to be an upsurge in incidents of such trouble since last Friday, which is worrying and should be talked about.

Guest MattP

Let's not pretend racism is just coming from the "leave" side post this vote.

13501630_507709869438352_116437627539310

Someone was also carrying a "white aint right" banner at the "pro-EU" demo last night.

Let's not pretend racism is just coming from the "leave" side post this vote.

13501630_507709869438352_116437627539310

Someone was also carrying a "white aint right" banner at the "pro-EU" demo last night.

Most certainly. All of these incidents should be addressed, regardless of target.

But, right now, would it be a safe assumption to say that in terms of numbers one problem is bigger than the other?

Archived