Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
DJ Barry Hammond

Brexit Discussion Thread.

Guest MattP

**** it. Young people think we've sold them out anyway, might as borrow shitloads live beyond our means and do it if they think it anyway.

If we're going to go crazy I want one of those hyperloop things. Connect it up to every major city. We could have nights out that start in Manchester, end in London and still make it back for some Maryland Chicken before closing. It'll cost a few trillion but we'll pay it back, someday.

Also this means nothing. Many are speculating that after a bounce back such as this, it will then give way to a slow decline as investment into the UK lessens amongst uncertainty over the coming period. 

So just because it's bounced doesn't mean it's going to retain it's value.

You are using your argument, based on supposition. Nothing wrong with that though, as am using supposition to say it will see -saw, for a long time, but am confident that the end result will be one of sustained stability.

Guest MattP

Don't forget a unicorn shuttle service connecting Scotland and London for continuation of freedom of movement.

Will cost a bit, but obviously will pay for itself.

Guest MattP

A solid gold giant statue of Farage on the white cliffs of Dover giving a V sign to Europe with a pint in the other hand.

Either that or save it for a military offensive against an independent Scotland.

If we're going to go crazy I want one of those hyperloop things. Connect it up to every major city. We could have nights out that start in Manchester, end in London and still make it back for some Maryland Chicken before closing. It'll cost a few trillion but we'll pay it back, someday.

Have you been watching RT? I saw that this morning because I was bored with all that Somme crap.

A solid gold giant statue of Farage on the white cliffs of Dover giving a V sign to Europe with a pint in the other hand.

Either that or save it for a military offensive against an independent Scotland.

Rebuild Hadrian's Wall and decorate it with the industrial carcasses of the North Sea oil industry

Have you been watching RT? I saw that this morning because I was bored with all that Somme crap.

I haven't, but it's a cool idea I've been following for a while.

If we want a Chancellor to usher in a new era of huge spending, hyperloop's Elon Musk would get my vote. He has some great ideas.

Cheers Donut enjoyed that post. The freedom of movement thing is huge and I think a lot of voters will feel short changed if it's a continuation.

With regards to the Tory leadership election it looks like article 50 is now certain to be invoked, no candidate is standing on not doing so and the three front runners are all quite vocal about the necessity for it.

Also, I don't now see a general election happening, after the fuss has died down it doesn't seem necessary, even though I personally believe a change of Prime minister should trigger one.

Why do you think that about the Prime Minister? Surely people vote for a party rather than an individual although I appreciate the personality and views of an individual might sway some people.

If the new Prime Minister was clearly incompetent or hugely unpopular I'd see a case but most of the Conservative candidates don't strike me that way at all and would certainly seem to be a better bet than anything Labour has to offer at the moment or UKIP for that matter.

As for a mandate, surely the current mandate's come from the electorate via the referendum and anything that deflects from that would be laughing at democracy.

Cameron clearly misjudged the outcome when he called for a referendum and I can only suggest calling for a mandate would only unnecessarily risk the same thing. But your own view would be welcome.   

Bit of a sweeping statement, how has anyone voted for nothing. It is a fact we now need a strong leader to carry out negotiations with the EU that's why I believe we need Leadsom or Fox to take us forward. There is plenty of negotiating on the table, forget the sabre rattling from Junker et al, they need us as much as we need them.

How about waiting a while and if in 10 years time we are up the creek without a paddle then you can come back on here and say I told you so, in the mean time everyone should stop being so reactionary, wait and see people you never know things might just get better.

What i meant when i said "people voted for nothing", is that they voted for a concept, leaving the EU, but they didnt vote for anything tangible.

They didnt know whether they were getting a complete retreat out of the EU, immigration completely on our terms, an increased budget that could go on public spending, or whether they were getting whats being mooted around about some kind of watered down deal where immigration remains the same in exchange for access to the single market etc.

My view point is that surely you need something tangible to vote on, rather than a concept and then deciding how youre actually going to implement it after the vote is won. Surely you should have some conservative and labour brexit plans in the event of the leave vote?

Its like me saying ive got a scheme that will make you £1000 an hour. And then people agreeing to my plans and joining my scheme. Despite the fact that they dont know whats involved in my plans, what i want from them, and my plans themselves arent concrete or agreed with anyone, so might not work anyway.

If the viewpoint of the public is for an idea of how to leave the EU but their idea is unsustainable or impractical for example, then youve still got a big disconnect between the people and government.

If Jimmy Krankie gets her wish and Scotland go independent, I hope we invade and re-claim it :)

Surprised nobody is discussing Osborne's abandonment of his surplus target. That's basically an abandonment of what got the tories elected. It's not an emergency budget but it's a significant move none the less. Not sure where it leaves us long term, giving up on the idea that we can turn a deficit into a surplus in a ten year period doesn't sound great to me.

I thought the last tory government left with a surplus and then labour spent it ( the famous post it note in the red briefcase with the words all the moneys gone )

Taking a massive surplus and spending it made less sense to me if was going to take nearly a decade to replace whilst in Europe.

Conservatives were voted in because of the promise of a referendum.

If Jimmy Krankie gets her wish and Scotland go independent, I hope we invade and re-claim it :)

I used to save my crusts to feed the birds, but I'd have throw it over the wall to feed Scottish kids.

I hope they get their independence vote. Labour would be the third largest political party and we can crack on with Brexit unhindered.

What i meant when i said "people voted for nothing", is that they voted for a concept, leaving the EU, but they didnt vote for anything tangible.

They didnt know whether they were getting a complete retreat out of the EU, immigration completely on our terms, an increased budget that could go on public spending, or whether they were getting whats being mooted around about some kind of watered down deal where immigration remains the same in exchange for access to the single market etc.

My view point is that surely you need something tangible to vote on, rather than a concept and then deciding how youre actually going to implement it after the vote is won. Surely you should have some conservative and labour brexit plans in the event of the leave vote?

Its like me saying ive got a scheme that will make you £1000 an hour. And then people agreeing to my plans and joining my scheme. Despite the fact that they dont know whats involved in my plans, what i want from them, and my plans themselves arent concrete or agreed with anyone, so might not work anyway.

If the viewpoint of the public is for an idea of how to leave the EU but their idea is unsustainable or impractical for example, then youve still got a big disconnect between the people and government.

I would hope there are real grown up discussions, article 50 has never been activated by a member country so we are exploring the unknown. I would suggest that there should be a serious attempt to stll have access to the single market but not at any cost, uncontrolled freedom of movement cannot be tabled and if it was that would be political suicide for the tories,lets wait and see what happens before sensational statements.

I thought the last tory government left with a surplus and then labour spent it ( the famous post it note in the red briefcase with the words all the moneys gone )

Taking a massive surplus and spending it made less sense to me if was going to take nearly a decade to replace whilst in Europe.

Conservatives were voted in because of the promise of a referendum.

Not exactly sure what your first two points are about but if it's a criticism of labour's public spending record then you're preaching to the converted.

I disagree with your third point, I don't think the referendum was a big factor.

**** it. Young people think we've sold them out anyway, might as borrow shitloads live beyond our means and do it if they think it anyway.

Judging by the credit card spending reported today, it's already happening! :D   

Why do you think that about the Prime Minister? Surely people vote for a party rather than an individual although I appreciate the personality and views of an individual might sway some people.

If the new Prime Minister was clearly incompetent or hugely unpopular I'd see a case but most of the Conservative candidates don't strike me that way at all and would certainly seem to be a better bet than anything Labour has to offer at the moment or UKIP for that matter.

As for a mandate, surely the current mandate's come from the electorate via the referendum and anything that deflects from that would be laughing at democracy.

Cameron clearly misjudged the outcome when he called for a referendum and I can only suggest calling for a mandate would only unnecessarily risk the same thing. But your own view would be welcome.

I think they vote for a combination of both. I remember being really pissed off when

Brown ousted Blair, I hadn't voted for Brown I had voted for Blair and felt cheated.

I've decided, I declare myself the king of independent Wales

I've decided, I declare myself the king of independent Wales

You know you're required to wear a crown, some lavishing clothes with cape, hold a scepter and rule from Aberystwyth.

Archived