Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
UPinCarolina

Premier League, 2017-2018 Season Thread

Looking at those transfer stats I think it highlights how well we've done business. We've spent a decent wedge, but our average spend per players isn't too much and it looks like (hopefully) it is a few quality players where necessary.

People make a lot of noise about signing lots of players, but high turnover year after year isn't smart. You want to just build steadily and add players in key positions. I know it will be difficult for Brighton and Huddersfield but buying 10+ players is ridiculous imo. It's a team game. If you replace half your starting 11 every season you'll constantly playing catch up trying to bed in players and getting them to work together.

On ‎02‎/‎09‎/‎2017 at 08:56, st albans fox said:

Not sure if this is true (from twitter) but if it is, it helps lay bare the nonsense that Spurs are somehow the future of English football (these lists exclude U21's where Spurs have a few British kids but no more than most clubs)

IMG_6216.thumb.PNG.322611ffc26f4585cbadfdf203bd8c09.PNGI

I might just be being stupid but who are NCFC with 13?

On 2/9/2017 at 09:56, st albans fox said:

Not sure if this is true (from twitter) but if it is, it helps lay bare the nonsense that Spurs are somehow the future of English football (these lists exclude U21's where Spurs have a few British kids but no more than most clubs)

How very odd to exclude the English U21s and then say Tottenham aren't "the future of English football". Surely, these are the future??

Secondly, I don't trust those stats.

Off the top of my head, Spurs' regular English players are Rose, Dier, Trippier, Alli and Kane (5 players who are all full England internationals), not 4 as your list says. Walker-Peters and Winks are already making regular appearances too and Walker leaving for City doesn't really change the picture.

4 minutes ago, shen said:

How very odd to exclude the English U21s and then say Tottenham aren't "the future of English football". Surely, these are the future??

Secondly, I don't trust those stats.

Off the top of my head, Spurs' regular English players are Rose, Dier, Trippier, Alli and Kane (5 players who are all full England internationals), not 4 as your list says. Walker-Peters and Winks are already making regular appearances too and Walker leaving for City doesn't really change the picture.

Dier wouldn't be classed as home grown as he spent his youth career in Portugal. Walker-Peters abd Winks would both be under 21.

Edited by Facecloth

6 minutes ago, Facecloth said:

Dier wouldn't be classed as home grown as he spent his youth career in Portugal. Walker-Peters abd Winks would both be under 21.

Ah, but that only highlights how those stats are skewed to draw wrong conclusions. I know WP and Winks are U21, but the OP claimed this debunked the myth that Spurs are driving the development of English players. Surely, U21 English players figuring in their first XI regularly contradicts this, which makes me question the OPs agenda

Edited by shen

1 minute ago, shen said:

Ah, but that only highlights how those stats are skewed to draw wrong conclusions. I know WP and Winks are U21, but the OP claimed this debunked the myth that Spurs are driving the development of English players. Surely, U21 English players figuring in their first XI regularly contradicts this, which makes me question the OPs motivation.

Oh yeah I'm just pointing out how Spurs are on 4 in that list, not agreeing with point it was making.

Edited by Facecloth
  • Like 1

On ‎02‎/‎09‎/‎2017 at 08:56, st albans fox said:

12 minutes ago, sylofox said:

I might just be being stupid but who are NCFC with 13?

5 minutes ago, KingsX said:

New Castle (Pennsylvania) Football Club?

3 minutes ago, Facecloth said:

Also how are we meant to know which of SCFC and SFC are Stoke City and Swansea City?

Safe to say then it's a total feck up lollol 

On 02/09/2017 at 11:27, st albans fox said:

Gold and Sullivan are brilliant at passing  the buck aren't they! And it always ends up at the mangers door! 

Apparently West Ham are suing SCP director of comms for stating that they didn't bid for carvalho and some other disparaging remarks on social media. If the cap fits....  Would be great for Sullivan to win and be awarded €1 for the damage to his reputation! 

It does seem that, particularly with The London Stadium in mind, the West Ham owners are operating a club via a business/commercial perspective - but it appears that one thing that they don't seem to know how to do well is on the scouting/football management side.

As obvious as it sounds, yes, but doing well on-the-pitch would get the tickets/revenue/more supporter interest into the club - but it seems that their owners have put external matters like the stadium purchase for a more global exposure over thorough player research and recruitment.

The stadium matter hasn't made much positive vibe to the players last season and it does feel like a waste of a venue with fans too far away from the pitch (poor atmosphere); comparing their old Upton Park ground, which was a fortress for them at times, to this one tells you what football stadia should be about - the new ground has already caused controversy, but ultimately it sounds like a soulless bowl.

Their situation feels like Mike Ashley at Newcastle; put millions into the club, buying the stadium and putting Sports Direct advertising nearly everywhere - but their strong potential has been hampered by poor football management decisions that has seen them have difficult times under his ownership.

No wonder nobody appears to want to deal with West Ham if this is how they send offers 

icing on the cake is the threat of pulling out the deal due to getting a PSG player on loan believed to have been Grzegorz Krychowiak which obviously never happened either 

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, jammie82uk said:

No wonder nobody appears to want to deal with West Ham if this is how they send offers 

icing on the cake is the threat of pulling out the deal due to getting a PSG player on loan believed to have been Grzegorz Krychowiak which obviously never happened either 

Surely that can't be real. It barely makes sense!

6 hours ago, jammie82uk said:

"... West Ham United qualify for (the) Champions League..."

LMAO