Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
UPinCarolina

Premier League, 2017-2018 Season Thread

3 minutes ago, Donut said:

Why would you even nudge the attacker as the defender?

It's a contact sport, he's competing physically with somebody for the ball. It's neither excessive or enough to floor the lad.

4 minutes ago, Donut said:

Why in a game youve controlled would you give any possible excuse to go down for a penalty?

Lovren had to be more streetwise than that surely? He pushed him clearly

Lovren's an idiot, I'm not arguing if he lacks mental capacity required. He got conned relatively, by a kid.

If he's sharper he pulls back when he should see it coming, instead he takes it as an aggression and shows a little bit of physicality.

37 minutes ago, SpazticChicken said:

The pen decision is 90/10 to me. Technically he has put some force into a nudge but Calvert-Lewin has left the chase for the ball and lept across Lovren's line, both his feet were off the floor whilst seemingly chasing the ball before contact and he's hit the floor like a sack of spuds. All the initial force and momentum is from the attacker, slight push from the defender which shouldn't be enough to floor him after, you see that let go plenty.

I don't hate or like Klopp either way, he's a bell but it's a ridiculous situation in a derby match

The line isn’t Lovren’s, unoccupied space is free game. Calvert-Lewis got into the space leaving the onus on Lovren.

16 minutes ago, SpazticChicken said:

It's a contact sport, he's competing physically with somebody for the ball. It's neither excessive or enough to floor the lad.

Lovren's an idiot, I'm not arguing if he lacks mental capacity required. He got conned relatively, by a kid.

If he's sharper he pulls back when he should see it coming, instead he takes it as an aggression and shows a little bit of physicality.

I completely agree that’s it’s a soft decision, but the movement of the arms make it look worse than it is. Referees really do seem to want to clamp down on grappling/pushing when they get the chance. 

15 minutes ago, Leeds Fox said:

The line isn’t Lovren’s, unoccupied space is free game. Calvert-Lewis got into the space leaving the onus on Lovren.

I completely agree that’s it’s a soft decision, but the movement of the arms make it look worse than it is. Referees really do seem to want to clamp down on grappling/pushing when they get the chance. 

Perhaps I used the wrong terminology. Free space is free space, contact still needs to be sufficient. Space is up for competition, Lewin wasn't in control of the ball, it was a chase. It wasn't like he was shielding the ball with his body and took a hit, he initiated contact.

It wasnt like he was running across, both legs were off the floor. It's engineered to sell a pen . . . that would be simulation.

The refs angle shows why it was given. It shouldn't have been one imo

Edited by SpazticChicken

If you want to see managerial hostility to a sports interviewer, google Jim McLean and John Barnes, when he stuck the nut on him.

Klopp will always be hilarious, because he embarked on a spittle flecked, spectacles-losing group gang hug with his team, when they got a last minute draw against Norwich City.

Liverpool will never, ever win the league under Klopp.

Good.

That push on Calvert-Lewin is definitely a foul anywhere else on the pitch. Call it soft all you like, if it's down on the corner or the centre of the pitch it'd be given, they just are these days. Why are people holding the penalty area to a higher standard  than the rest of the pitch when nothing in the rules says to?

However, my main gripe is how sick and tired I am of whiney, self entitled managers. Mourinho, Klopp, Dyche, Hughes, Wenger. The list goes on. When will managers start to take personal responsibility for their teams shortcomings? This is manifesting into crowds too. We're becoming so obsessed with decisions the crowd are more interested in harrassing the referee for every single decision than actually making noise.

I mean yesterday at Old Trafford, it felt like the home fans were baying for a booking every time one of their players was touched, fairly or not. Forget about getting behind the team, I feel hard done by because I don't understand the game so now want every Man City player booked.

Genuinely think this comes from the general self entitled attitude of some clubs but also their managers. An unnecessary seige mentality created. Neither match yesterday was like our 97 Atletico home game. Take responsibility for your team not being clinical enough or setting them up defensively at home, don't just automatically blame the man enforcing the rules of the game.

(And don't be get me started on fans also failing to see te failures of their team and default blaming the referee, sick to the back teeth of it.)

Thought the Lovren foul was a bit soft, but can kind of see why it was given. I think the question Klopp needs to be asking him is why he felt the need to get close to the Calvert-Lewin in the first place? I could maybe understand if it was Aguero, Kane, or Vardy, but Calvert-Lewin?!? The kid couldn't score in a brothel wearing a suit covered in £50 notes. 

7 hours ago, Wymeswold fox said:

Can imagine Herrera being banned now for simulation after that gaffe.

I thought Michael Oliver refereed that game brilliantly yesterday. In fact, in all 4 of the live games I watched over the weekend the standard of refereeing was very good. Hopefully things are improving a bit as it was beyond a joke last season.

10 hours ago, Izzy Muzzett said:

Klopp does apologise at the end of that interview to be fair to him

Yep, good of someone to put the full interview on. The way the edited the clip on BBC made it look like the end of the interview was him saying “they are right and I am wrong” 

I’m torn on interviews like that, whilst he really needs to have another think about his views on a clear penalty... it’s nice to see someone come out and show they’re visibly angry at having to play against a brick wall for 90 minutes and end up with a point. 

He likes his teams to entertain and he’s from a league where even when teams play Bayern or Dortmund they give it a go. 

Also that interviewer is a bit ****ing wet isn’t he, Jesus “no I’m not saying that” well... yes you are so have the conviction to commit to it.

journalists and interviewers are mostly cvnts tbh and not enough managers give them the shit they deserve. 

condescending jumped up little bellends who never ask a decent question outright and then get pissy when the person they're interviewing doesn't play ball.

**** pundits, **** journos - waste of oxygen the lot of 'em. 

5 minutes ago, lifted*fox said:

journalists and interviewers are mostly cvnts tbh and not enough managers give them the shit they deserve. 

condescending jumped up little bellends who never ask a decent question outright and then get pissy when the person they're interviewing doesn't play ball.

**** pundits, **** journos - waste of oxygen the lot of 'em. 

They're just pandering to the viewers. It's all about the ratings, the sensationalism, the short-sighted predictions (which they never get called out on).

I am actually hoping that interest in football will dwindle as a result of the relentless broadcasting, the superfluous 'build ups' and 'analyses', all the social media fluff that has nothing to do with football oversatiating the viewers.

Maybe, just maybe, it might reduce the amount of ridiculous money in football and allow proper journalists to do actual decent interviews and analysis. No chance it will dampen anytime soon though.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, shen said:

I am actually hoping that interest in football will dwindle as a result of the relentless broadcasting, the superfluous 'build ups' and 'analyses', all the social media fluff that has nothing to do with football oversatiating the viewers.

yeah dude, I agree with this. absolutely sick of the OTT build-ups to games like their some kind of huge world event when in reality few of them live up to the hype. also sick of the OTT in-depth analysis of every single ****ing kick of the ball by overpaid, opinionated, slightly thick ex-'pros'. the whole thing is just a big ex-footballer wankathon - all done as an excuse to keep these idiots in work after they finish with the game. so much of it is horribly biased - all based on who used to play for who, who has worked with who, etc. 

it's absolute trash and it ruins the game, imo. 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Donut said:

Why would you even nudge the attacker as the defender?

Why in a game youve controlled would you give any possible excuse to go down for a penalty?

Lovren had to be more streetwise than that surely? He pushed him clearly

When two guys are running full pelt after a ball there is going to be some contact. A defender who just moves away wouldn't be in the league for long.

It shouldn't have been a penalty and whilst it is then attackers will continue to dive/flop like the Everton guy did. 

I'm all for protecting footballers but that was nothing.

edit: whilst I'm at it this head injury thing is beyond a joke. It seems that every player  (and particularly defenders) who lose a ball near their own goal area are grabbing their heads and hoping to stop the game so that their team can re-organise. Maguire was going to do that and then didn't when Newcastle scored. Head injuries are serious things but players pretending they have one should result in a yellow card.

Edited by Guest

10 minutes ago, shen said:

They're just pandering to the viewers. It's all about the ratings, the sensationalism, the short-sighted predictions (which they never get called out on).

Maybe, just maybe, it might reduce the amount of ridiculous money in football and allow proper journalists to do actual decent interviews and analysis. No chance it will dampen anytime soon though.

I'm with you Shen. I still watch a lot of footy on TV but these days I switch on as it kicks off and switch over more or less as soon as the whistle goes and I don't bother with all the half time ramblings either. A lot of the build up and analyses consists of stating the bloody obvious most of the time. There are some very good pundits like Thierry Henry but most of them get paid to say a lot whilst saying precious little.

32 minutes ago, shen said:

Have you noticed they now show pointless views of players, managers and replays of events, some of which are so ordinary whilst the game is going on. 

It's all about celebritising (made up word) the game and trying to make it seem more exciting to the viewer but it totally pisses me off to know that I'm missing the actually football on the pitch. 

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, lifted*fox said:

yeah dude, I agree with this. absolutely sick of the OTT build-ups to games like their some kind of huge world event when in reality few of them live up to the hype. also sick of the OTT in-depth analysis of every single ****ing kick of the ball by overpaid, opinionated, slightly thick ex-'pros'. the whole thing is just a big ex-footballer wankathon - all done as an excuse to keep these idiots in work after they finish with the game. so much of it is horribly biased - all based on who used to play for who, who has worked with who, etc. 

it's absolute trash and it ruins the game, imo. 

Many of them smugly criticising managers when they've never done any coaching or managing themselves or if they have they've often failed miserably.

• Like 1

Journalists can be bellends but managers are too. Some managers and ex pros pundits think if you haven't played the game your knowledge is inferior. 

On a sidenote, why are 95% of pundits ex players who played at the top level? Tired of watching Scholes, Gerrard and Owen eith their useless basic "analysis". A bit of variety and diversity wouldn't go amiss. Plus these guys don't need the money. There are ex players from lower leagues who could do with a decent pundit job and I'm sure they have decent knowledge and opinions. I dislike the elitism in this sport.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, davieG said:

Have you noticed they now show pointless views of players, managers and replays of events, some of which are so ordinary whilst the game is going on. 

It's all about celebritising (made up word) the game and trying to make it seem more exciting to the viewer but it totally pisses me off to know that I'm missing the actually football on the pitch. 

Absolutely right - add in the constant commercials as well. It ties into my grief with football and fans in general. Football should be about what happens on the pitch and that focus should never change... but it has. It's sycophantic to the extreme and I believe we're still far from the end of this ramping up of fluff.

Yeah the OTT build ups and over analysis of every kick is tiresome. I usually listen to quite a few football podcasts but I gave last week a miss and I will probably give this week a miss as well. There's only so much Manc derby & Merseyside derby talk I can listen to.

Edited by Koke
  • Like 1