Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
UPinCarolina

Premier League, 2017-2018 Season Thread

Just now, Koke said:

Yeah the OTT build ups and over analysis of every kick is tiresome. I usually listen to quite a few football podcast but I gave last week a miss and I will probably give this week a miss as well. There's only so much Manc derby & Merseyside derby talk I can listen to.

Best part of watching a game through tele is that i only watch when the game kicks off and ends. Got more important things to do with my time like post on foxestalk and listen to the same knob end types on here.... lol.  No seriously i cant be bothered to listen to a lot of these pundits and journalists. Mute!

6 minutes ago, Koke said:

Journalists can be bellends but managers are too. Some managers and ex pros pundits think if you haven't played the game your knowledge is inferior. 

On a sidenote, why are 95% of pundits ex players who played at the top level? Tired of watching Scholes, Gerrard and Owen eith their useless basic "analysis". A bit of variety and diversity wouldn't go amiss. Plus these guys don't need the money. There are ex players from lower leagues who could do with a decent pundit job and I'm sure they have decent knowledge and opinions. I dislike the elitism in this sport.

Do you really have to ask? When Average Joe switches on his TV to watch football and he sees a recognisable face he'll think "Oh, this guy used to be successful, he must know his shizzle". That's why Pogba, Neymar, Mahrez et al go to such lengths to stand out: To promote their personal brand and increase their careers.

If Mr Nobody is sat in the studio Average Joe will not be interested in what he has to say, regardless of how knowledgeable Mr Nobody might be.

• Like 2

Used to be a fan and f Mourinho and the siege mentality he created at his clubs but he is becoming a tiresome bore this season. Always an excuse and can never fully praise his opponents. Also his style of football for a big club like United is terrible and with the money spent he should be getting more out of them 

23 minutes ago, foxfanazer said:

Used to be a fan and f Mourinho and the siege mentality he created at his clubs but he is becoming a tiresome bore this season. Always an excuse and can never fully praise his opponents. Also his style of football for a big club like United is terrible and with the money spent he should be getting more out of them 

His patronising appraisal of Michael Oliver who he went out of his way over and over again to say how brilliant he was except for the booking of Herrera which was an indisputable penalty.

2 minutes ago, evil jack said:

Ahem.

If Burnley beat Stoke they will be 4th tomorrow night. :blink:

So Burnley will Be 4th tomorrow night then 

This is exactly why I have 4 quid on us for a top four finish... there’s no consistency outside of City and United. Spurs and Chelsea are weaker than when we won the league and arsenal are.... arsenal...

Edited by AjcW
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, foxfanazer said:

I used to like his arrogance and how he would get into the heads of Fergie and Wenger and effectively deflect attention from the players unto him. It worked a treat!

These days he looks unhappy, he sounds miserable nearly every time and comes across as ungrateful. That and he gets all mardy about the media when his persona backfires. I've ranted about the media, but Mourinho's had it coming and brought most of it on himself.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Donut said:

Except man utd arent "crap" 

Man City are extremely good. 

And the money thing is a cheap shot really. Guardiola has improved their players individually and collectively.

To win 14/15 games in a row (whatever it is now) is incredible, I don't care how much they've spent. 

One thing stands out is how players have improved under Pep. Sterling and Stones in particular. 

1 hour ago, AjcW said:

So Burnley will Be 4th tomorrow night then 

This is exactly why I have 4 quid on us for a top four finish... there’s no consistency outside of City and United. Spurs and Chelsea are weaker than when we won the league and arsenal are.... arsenal...

How many games have Spurs and Chelsea lost already!? More than last season.

Said it before but I was never impressed with Chelsea last season anyway. They won the league despite failing to win at Old Trafford, White Hart Lane, Anfield and Emirates. 

1 hour ago, shen said:

I used to like his arrogance and how he would get into the heads of Fergie and Wenger and effectively deflect attention from the players unto him. It worked a treat!

These days he looks unhappy, he sounds miserable nearly every time and comes across as ungrateful. That and he gets all mardy about the media when his persona backfires. I've ranted about the media, but Mourinho's had it coming and brought most of it on himself.

Mourinho is a great manager because he is a winner who will do whatever it takes to win but that is also his biggest fault. He is perfect for clubs just outside the top tier who want to compete with the elites (Chelsea, Porto, Inter Milan) but it also makes him a terrible 'big club' manager. For Mourinho a win is a win and I don't think he cares of even understands the mentality of the elite clubs at all.

At a Real or a United the whole identity of the club is based around superiority and Mourinho completely erodes that. With Madrid he got away with it to a point as Barcelona are historically the great rival. You can't claim superiority if the joke club from the other side of the city who can't fill their ground come to your stadium and utterly dominate you. The amount of time that those clubs will accept playing on the backfoot is very very short because it is anathema to them.

Edited by mancunianfox
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Has anyone got a .gif of mouriniho's face as United mucked up that chance late on?  Sky zoomed in on it so there must be a file floating around the internet somewhere but I'm not feeling up to trawling through twitter... The look of pure dismay followed by the realization that the game was over may well be the best shot of the season for me! :sweating:

38 minutes ago, pmcla26 said:

Pep is the best manager in the world if he has the best players but if he doesn't have the best players he isn't, but his style is suited to get the best out of clever and technical players I suppose. I prefer the managers who over achieve and get the best out of players and develops them, like Poch and Simeone

Isn’t Fabien Delph a regular at the moment? 

And of the players Pep has signed at City - who were big stars before they joined? Has he not signed high potential players and built them into beasts (Sané for example) rather than trying to sign the finished article?

Edited by DJ Barry Hammond

Man Utd and Chelsea admit the title race is over. Spurs, Arsenal and Liverpool are 16 to 18 points away from an impressive and dominant Man City. The final European spot is the most compelling story left this season.

2 hours ago, pmcla26 said:

Pep is the best manager in the world if he has the best players but if he doesn't have the best players he isn't, but his style is suited to get the best out of clever and technical players I suppose. I prefer the managers who over achieve and get the best out of players and develops them, like Poch and Simeone

Pochettino hasn't won anything. Yeah he's done very well with Spurs but best achievement is second, they haven't even been anywhere near a domestic trophy.

Pep's style of play is refreshing in this Country, I haven't been this impressed with another PL side in a long time.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Wymeswold fox said:

Football fans have every right to vent their frustration, to a certain extent, but threatening players' safety isn't really the way to state how you feel..

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/42320836

lol

Where does it say they were threatening players safety?

I know they're Stoke fans but they're hardly rabid maniacs ffs. They've got every right to call them out.

12 minutes ago, ealingfox said:

lol

Where does it say they were threatening players safety?

I know they're Stoke fans but they're hardly rabid maniacs ffs. They've got every right to call them out.

Well it certainly could've been considering it was a Saturday night and if some were drunk etc.

21 minutes ago, Wymeswold fox said:

Football fans have every right to vent their frustration, to a certain extent, but threatening players' safety isn't really the way to state how you feel..

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/42320836

It's a cold Tuesday night, pity Stokes game isn't at home...could do with them beating Burnley purely from a selfish point of view, I don't want Burnley getting any further away from us....they could go 4th tonight

10 minutes ago, norwichfox said:

It's a cold Tuesday night, pity Stokes game isn't at home...could do with them beating Burnley purely from a selfish point of view, I don't want Burnley getting any further away from us....they could go 4th tonight

Looking at our fixtures and those of Burnley and Watford, they could be a mile ahead come the end of Feb, our run of games is horrific. Watfords a walk in the park. Burnley has a few tough games but come out of it quicker than us.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Babylon said:

Looking at our fixtures and those of Burnley and Watford, they could be a mile ahead come the end of Feb, our run of games is horrific. Watfords a walk in the park. Burnley has a few tough games but come out of it quicker than us.

quite....hence my wanting a Stoke win tonight. Maybe a big defeat for Stoke would see Hughes getting a "vote of Confidence".