Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
UPinCarolina

Premier League, 2017-2018 Season Thread

6 minutes ago, Babylon said:

Looking at our fixtures and those of Burnley and Watford, they could be a mile ahead come the end of Feb, our run of games is horrific. Watfords a walk in the park. Burnley has a few tough games but come out of it quicker than us.

No run of fixtures is a walk in the park to anyone but man city.

Putting two wins in a row together is bloody hard. Why youd think watford will suddenly start blazing a trail after winning 2 in 8 and having a leaky defence is bizarre.

1 minute ago, ARTY_FOX said:

I'm pretty confident that most managers with that money spent and with those players would win the league. Guardiola has never had to manage a team that can't have everything their own way. 

As if.

Like craig shakespeare would inspire the improvement in the likes of de bruyne and sterling, delph has been totally revitalised by Pep too.

Most people were conceding the league to man utd after the opening 3 games now mourinho is some sort of numpty apparently.

Hyperbole opinions

4 minutes ago, ARTY_FOX said:

I'm pretty confident that most managers with that money spent and with those players would win the league. Guardiola has never had to manage a team that can't have everything their own way. 

Strongly disagree to be honest.

He's signed the right players in the right positions which is important, some managers overload attacking players or can't spot weaknesses but he's covered all bases.

As the poster above has said you only have to look at the improvements in Sterling and De Bruyne to see that. As well as having a piss poor centre mid playing well at left back lol 

You've got to have something about you to pull that off. 

16 minutes ago, ARTY_FOX said:

How people try to play down what Guardiola achieved and IS achieving is frankly laughable. Other managers before him at City, or wherever the hell he was, did have the money, the players and still achieved sod all.

He's breaking record after record, getting the best of his players, putting his stamp on the PL like he already put it on modern football and you still find naysayers comfortably sitting on their couch and nonchanlantly posting a confident "meh" as if it was the easiest thing in the world to do.

Edited by ZeGuy
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, Babylon said:

Looking at our fixtures and those of Burnley and Watford, they could be a mile ahead come the end of Feb, our run of games is horrific. Watfords a walk in the park. Burnley has a few tough games but come out of it quicker than us.

I've just looked at Burnley's and it's very similar to ours? Lots of tough games.

17 minutes ago, ARTY_FOX said:

Moyes struggled with all the money at United and a squad that had just won the league, when Manchester City were first bought out they appointed Hughes who spent the cash and they didn't achieve anything. 

I don't get the "he'd do nothing in the lower leagues". Nobody tells Ronaldo "ah you play for Madrid pal go and prove yourself at Accrington Stanley (who are they) to be considered a great player".

Like I said above, even with all the money spent 15 consecutive victories is a amazing and evidently a record now.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Donut said:

No run of fixtures is a walk in the park to anyone but man city.

Putting two wins in a row together is bloody hard. Why youd think watford will suddenly start blazing a trail after winning 2 in 8 and having a leaky defence is bizarre.

I didn't realise how bad their form was, although to be fair they have played Arsenal, United, Chelsea, Spurs, Burnley in the last 9.

7 minutes ago, Fox92 said:

Moyes struggled with all the money at United and a squad that had just won the league, when Manchester City were first bought out they appointed Hughes who spent the cash and they didn't achieve anything. 

I don't get the "he'd do nothing in the lower leagues". Nobody tells Ronaldo "ah you play for Madrid pal go and prove yourself at Accrington Stanley (who are they) to be considered a great player".

Like I said above, even with all the money spent 15 consecutive victories is a amazing and evidently a record now.

Whilst I understand what you're saying. I think asking Ronaldo to prove himself at Accrington Stanley isn't the same comparison (I also don't think he'd do absolutely nothing in a lower league) 

I just think managers have done more impressive things given there resources and achievements with said resources than guardiola has.  

Edited by ARTY_FOX

10 minutes ago, Babylon said:

I didn't realise how bad their form was, although to be fair they have played Arsenal, United, Chelsea, Spurs, Burnley in the last 9.

we opened the season with a similar run of form from a similarly tough set of games and justifiably sacked our manager. watford are as rubbish as everyone else in this league. 

20 hours ago, pmcla26 said:

Pep is the best manager in the world if he has the best players but if he doesn't have the best players he isn't, but his style is suited to get the best out of clever and technical players I suppose. I prefer the managers who over achieve and get the best out of players and develops them, like Poch and Simeone

Call this an unpopular opinion, but I think getting top players to play to their potential under a massive weight of expectation and having to take the game to teams every week is a much more impressive achievement than getting a group of players to overachieve. Its a lose-lose, if you win the league people say you should be doing so anyway, and if you don't then you're an overhyped failure.

How many managers have got a group of players playing well and possibly above their potential against heavyweight opponents in the PL? So many, its not rare -  Moyes, Ranieri, Pochettino, Rodgers, Koeman, Dyche, Pardew at Newcastle for one season.

How many managers have we seen that have built a team that can dominate Premier League? Ferguson, Pep, Mourinho albeit with ugly football and possibly Wenger all those years ago. Few and fair in-between.

Note that many (previously 'proven') managers have tried to build a team that can dominate the league and failed - Klopp, Pochettino, Wenger for most of his time at Arsenal, Rodgers, Pellegrini, Van Gaal, Moyes, Mourinho's second stint in England.

Getting the best out of the top players and consistently winning is much more impressive than developing a team to punch above their weight for a while, no doubt in my mind.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, ARTY_FOX said:

Someone on Reddit hit the nail on the head the other day.

When Guardiola moves on from Man City people will say "Well he was obviously going to win the league with world class players like John Stones, Fernandinho and Gabriel Jesus". He takes very good players and turns them into superstars.

He's everybody's dream manager.

1 minute ago, AKCJ said:

When Guardiola moves on from Man City people will say "Well he was obviously going to win the league with world class players like John Stones, Fernandinho and Gabriel Jesus". He takes very good players and turns them into superstars.

mine is ranieri...  

People seem to be confused with what I'm saying. I'm not saying he's a bad manager I just don't think he's as good as some make out. Partly because people think he's likeable. 

The same as managers people don't like that do incredible things have alternative stories told and reasons made because people like to poop on their success. 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, AKCJ said:

Not mine.

2 minutes ago, AKCJ said:

Why not? Just curious.

Not mine either. I wouldn’t enjoy supporting Bayern, Barca or Man City half as much as I’ve enjoyed supporting Leicester City. If we were ever to attract a manager like Pep, we wouldn’t have the ups and downs we have anymore. 

Downs may not be ideal but they make the ups so much sweeter. Yes Man City have been poor in the past but they’ve bought success. 

36 minutes ago, Leeds Fox said:

Not mine either. I wouldn’t enjoy supporting Bayern, Barca or Man City half as much as I’ve enjoyed supporting Leicester City. If we were ever to attract a manager like Pep, we wouldn’t have the ups and downs we have anymore. 

Downs may not be ideal but they make the ups so much sweeter. Yes Man City have been poor in the past but they’ve bought success. 

Quite easy to say in our position.

I hugely doubt that there are many Man City fans wishing they went back to being mediocre.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AKCJ said:

I'd rather have Fergie. 

I just think it's funny people seem to think he's this amazing manager again when last season almost everyone on this forum was calling him a fraud. He spent what 300 million? On a squad that he's already spent about 250 million on and he's suddenly a genius again. 

If he was as good as he's suddenly being touted as again he'd of had man city competing last season and Chelsea wouldn't have walked it. Who have conte who funnily enough was the genius last season but isn't this season and like guardiola supposedly had last year has been found out. 

Edited by ARTY_FOX

Pep won two Champions League titles with Messi, Xavi and Iniesta in their prime.

One of them he would have not won without a terrible referee error.

Then Pep took over the treble-winning Bayern team where he had no real competition in domestic league at all so he could have concentrated on Champions League.

This resulted in Bayern not even reaching a single UCL final in 3 years, whereas before they had played in 3 finals in 4 years.

Then Pep took over Man City with their squad of tremendous combined cost and almost infinite transfer possibilities.

Yes, most of these players weren't his choice but Pep spent a huge amount on new players, too.

Not only he haven't won the EPL - Man City even hasn't been anywhere near, trailing by 15 (!) points behind Chelsea.

Also they've been kicked out of UCL in Round of 16 by Monaco team which cost was a small fraction of Man City's squad cost.

Is he a great manager for richest clubs in the world with infinite possibilites in the long term? Yes, perhaps he's the best one in this case.

Is he a greatest manager of all time? Hell no, in my opinion.

Edited by RussianFox