Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
UPinCarolina

Premier League, 2017-2018 Season Thread

i ain't buying the hype until he wins the champions league! as a person who watched the 2009-2012 barca a lot, i can tell you that they will batter this man city team anytime, anyday.

long-haired messi will give man city fans PTSD. 

it's easier to win the really important games with the greatest player of all-time and a top 5 midfielder of all time in xavi. people drooling over KDB, lol just go watch prime xavi and iniesta.

Edited by the fox

2 hours ago, ARTY_FOX said:

I'd rather have Fergie. 

I just think it's funny people seem to think he's this amazing manager again when last season almost everyone on this forum was calling him a fraud. He spent what 300 million? On a squad that he's already spent about 250 million on and he's suddenly a genius again. 

If he was as good as he's suddenly being touted as again he'd of had man city competing last season and Chelsea wouldn't have walked it. Who have conte who funnily enough was the genius last season but isn't this season and like guardiola supposedly had last year has been found out. 

Fergie used to spend too. Ferdinand cost £29mill that was just after 2000. Van Persie was £20mill. Veron was £25mill and the highest transfer in England ever.

If you're looking for genius then look at people like Brian Clough who took an average midlands side and made them Champions of Europe. But all managers have spent, it's just relevant to the time.

Edited by Fox92

13 minutes ago, Fox92 said:

Fergie used to spend too. Ferdinand cost £29mill that was just after 2000. Van Persie was £20mill. Veron was £25mill and the highest transfer in England ever.

If you're looking for genius then look at people like Brian Clough who took an average midlands side and made them Champions of Europe. But all managers have spent, it's just relevant to the time.

I'm not disagreeing, but he did break the British transfer record to sign the first million pound footballer, and winning the European Cup wasn't anything like as difficult as winning the Champions' League is.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Buce said:

I'm not disagreeing, but he did break the British transfer record to sign the first million pound footballer, and winning the European Cup wasn't anything like as difficult as winning the Champions' League is.

I know thats why I said all mangers have spent (which was he point OP was making against my post about loving Pep). But he did build Forest up though to get into that position. Clough is up there with the greatest, so is Fergie, so is Shankly building Liverpool and Paisley after him. 

So to go back to the original point of Pep spending I don't think it makes a difference?

edit: I do also like managers who build clubs up @ARTY_FOX I take your point but Pep  has made average players good and Man City are superb. 15 games winning it's mad.

Edited by Fox92

2 minutes ago, Fox92 said:

I know thats why I said all mangers have spent. He did build Forest up though to get into that position. Clough is up there with the greatest, so is Fergie, so is Shankly building Liverpool and Paisley after him. 

So to go back to the original point of Pep spending I don't think it makes a difference. He has made average players good and Man City are superb.

Given that he also took Derby to the title, he has a shout for being the greatest, imo.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Fox92 said:

I know thats why I said all mangers have spent (which was he point OP was making against my post about loving Pep). But he did build Forest up though to get into that position. Clough is up there with the greatest, so is Fergie, so is Shankly building Liverpool and Paisley after him. 

So to go back to the original point of Pep spending I don't think it makes a difference. He has made average players good and Man City are superb.

My point isn't pep spent and Fergie didn't. For me Fergie's better for the longevity and how many times he rebuilt one team. I agree clough is up there but he spent too.

28 minutes ago, Fox92 said:

Didn't Brian Clough break transfer records too?

EDIT - itd help if I read...

Edited by Miquel The Work Geordie
  • Haha 1

@Fox92 I respect that buddy and can see why people say what they do. Just isn't for me all that's said. I'm not denying he's a good manager I just don't think he's as good as he's made out to be some times. 

I also agree 15 wins on the bounce is a fantastic achievement. Credit to him for that.

• Like 1

Shankley joined Liverpool when they'd been in the 2nd division for 5 years and took them to 3 Div 1 championships, 2 FA Cups plus a European Cup win.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, m4DD0gg said:

See Drinkwater is on bench again for chelsea, genuine question but does he actually feature down there?

Been a bit of a sick note for Chelsea. Think he's had one full 90 mins so far. He missed the bench with feverish illness last week, which probably made him not fully match fit for today. Their fans seem to rate him over Bakayoko, although that might be the improving bench player effect seen at all clubs.

Edited by brucey

28 minutes ago, m4DD0gg said:

See Drinkwater is on bench again for chelsea, genuine question but does he actually feature down there?

To be fair he played very well against Liveepool and Newcastle but was ill the next game. A lot of Chelsea fans want Drinkwater to start ahead of Bakayoko.

2 minutes ago, Footballwipe said:

I swear to god if Burnley finish fourth this season you'll get some Burnley fans and media genuinely try and compare that achievement to 2015/16. You watch.

lol Burnley ain't finishing 4th.

• Like 1