Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
UPinCarolina

Premier League, 2017-2018 Season Thread

Think Arsenal will finish outside of the top-five and Wenger's reign will end.

They face quite a big re-building job and he can't keep on staying forever.

He should've finished when he last won a cup imo, as he's quite regularly getting criticised for this and that etc.

2 hours ago, murphy said:

A lot of fans of other clubs were pleased for us when we won the league and we got a lot of messages of support.

Seems a bit mean spirited then for some of us to now begrudge Burnley when they're having the season of their lives.

I say good luck to them.

One of the best things about our Premiership title was that it disrupted the same old 'top team' clique that is spoiling the Prem.  I was hoping it would open up a chunk in that clique that other 'lowly' clubs would exploit and start the process of breaking up the cosy clique. I was disappointed last season, not just with our fall from g9race in the league but also because no other small club took 're mantle and broke into the top six.

I would expect every LCFC fan to applaud a small club's attempt to breech the clique ( even Burnley, in spite of Dyche being a less than lovable character). That's not incompatible with hoping, every season, that we surpass them and end up near the top too.

Burnley are 4th.  BURNLEY. 

Whilst I love the smaller teams mixing it with the establishment, I can't help but worry about what would happen to our coefficient if they actually qualified for the Champions League. 

This is a dark day for English football. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Burnley have obviously done well over the season so far to be in a position to currently sit 4th, but they're only there because of the timing of their game. If they'd played tonight, then it's very likely this would never have happened and we wouldn't be talking about this.

Edited by Facecloth

They may be back to seventh tomorrow but seventh is great for Burnley, and that only depends on Spurs and Arsenal being consistent... And then they'll be still five points ahead of us, and that's only if we win tomorrow. I don't feel like begrudging them respect.

1 hour ago, nnfox said:

Whilst I love the smaller teams mixing it with the establishment, I can't help but worry about what would happen to our coefficient if they actually qualified for the Champions League. 

People said that about us and we ended up getting further than any other English team the year we were in it. 

I don’t think Burnley will finish 4th but good luck to them! 

1 hour ago, nnfox said:

Ime just a lurker on here, and can't be arsed to post,.

But that has cracked me up :)

I for one would love to see Burnley in the CL, aint going to happen but ime pleased for their fans.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, rn9013 said:

Yeah that’s my only worry tbh, unbeaten in 6 now so they’ll be confident. So should we, but makes the game more difficult. 

They haven't scored away from home all season so this is probably the day that the  Woy magic finally kicks in given our charitable status to dead duck sides 

9 hours ago, Corky said:

We are sounding slightly bitter on here. Burnley have found a way of winning games with a quite limited team, fair play to them.

9 hours ago, rn9013 said:

I don’t get the bitterness towards Burnley. Fair play to them in my eyes. 

Of all the clubs we should be the ones saying Burnley CAN finish in the top 4 (however unlikely), and I for one would love to see them do it. 

It’s pathetic isn’t it.

On here we must slag a team off, have some pathetic rivalry for no reason whatsoever, I never got the Sunderland thing 3 (?) year’s ago, I got the Tottenham one 2/last year and still massively dislike them I must admit but this season it’s Burnley and I don’t get it. Fair play to them.

Aslong as its it’s not at our expense I don’t care and wish them luck.

Smaller teams mixing it up with the big boys, upsetting the Apple cart that’s what we want isn’t it?! It was certainly the hope of change when we won it.

Edited by Matt

5 minutes ago, Matt said:

It’s pathetic isn’t it.

On here we must slag a team off, have some pathetic rivalry for no reason whatsoever, I never got the Sunderland thing 3 (?) year’s ago, I got the Tottenham one 2/last year and still massively dislike them I must admit but this season it’s Burnley and I don’t get it. Fair play to them.

Aslong as its it’s not at our expense I don’t care and wish them luck.

Smaller teams mixing it up with the big boys, upsetting the Apple cart that’s what we want isn’t it?! It was certainly the hope of change when we won it.

It's not anti Burnley. It's anti Dyche.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Super_horns said:

Just cannot believe we lost that!

If Palace play like they did tonight on Saturday you should win easily..

Like wise if we defend as badly on BD.

Are Palace any good? I can't make my mind up about them.

fans being bitter on here about Burnley are probably the same ones that get their knickers in a twist over the big clubs doing the same thing on our title run

I’m not a massive fan of Burnley but the fume from one of the bigger clubs if Burnley take one of their top 4 spots would be hilarious. I don’t think they’ll do it and I actually think we’ll finish above them but let’s not knock them yet

• Like 3

Fair play to them, so long as I don't start reading about this being bigger than our achievement... oh, no.... too late, already read it twice this morning already.

He's doing an incredible job, you could see why they are doing well against us, so bloody awkward to play against. Great team ethic and workrate, with a smattering of skill thrown in.

I'm happy for Burnley and they should be getting praise for being comfortably in the top half, but as I said earlier they're only 4th atm due the scheduling of their game. The nature of that part of the league is that those around then will probably win tonight, especially with them playing Brighton, West Ham and West Brom, and they'll drop out the top 4. So all this media hype about them being in a champions league spot, they aren't really. Well they are, but they aren't. They've still done brilliantly though, and should have been getting this much praise before they snuck into the top 4 by playing an extra game.

The big story from last night is really Palace pulling themselves out the bottom three, and they'll probably stay there given their rivals will probably lose.