Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
UPinCarolina

Premier League, 2017-2018 Season Thread

It's getting tight down the bottom, no team is cast adrift which speaks volumes of what Hodgson has done recently to get Palace out of it. I can see many times trading places in the bottom 8 and we can't consider ourselves free of that, we have to plunder on and keep winning.

4 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

It's getting tight down the bottom, no team is cast adrift which speaks volumes of what Hodgson has done recently to get Palace out of it. I can see many times trading places in the bottom 8 and we can't consider ourselves free of that, we have to plunder on and keep winning.

I don't think we're free of it, however in order to end up relegated now we would have to have a horrendous second half of the season. Effectively we need to win 5 more games out of 22, which if we can't manage we would deserve to play in the Championship. 

• Like 1

Who do people think will be relegated this season? I think this season is one of the tightest I can remember in this regard, it could really be any 3 from Huddersfield in 12th down for me. 

I personally think at this stage it will be Swansea, Brighton and then either West Brom or Newcastle (depending on what happens in January for both respectively). 

20 minutes ago, weller54 said:

Much rather Burnley finish 4th then The verminous Spuds!.. 

So I'm fully behind them and hope they keep The Bottlers out of the CL places! 

I'd much rather spuds go down.

Not sure why people are hating Burnley just because Dyche is a bit of a knob. The fans seem fine even Lanceyclaret lol Rumour has it they are now rivals with spuds. The only difference is the Burnley dvd lasts a full 24hrs not 13 minutes lollollol

Dyche: Leicester blew the roof off dreams in football

Date published: Tuesday 12th December 2017 10:41

GettyImages.891136510.jpg

Sean Dyche reckons the Premier League will “eat you alive” if you start dreaming after his Burnley side moved into the Champions League places with a 1-0 victory over Stoke.

The Potters had the best chances of the match but it was the Clarets who grabbed a late goal through Ashley Barnes to snatch all three points.

The victory means Dyche’s men move above Tottenham, Arsenal and Liverpool to enter the Champions League places in the Premier League table.

“It’s a run of results and a start which the fans are enjoying and rightly so,” Dyche told the BBC. “Football is about realities but also about dreams.

“It’s a tough task for us winning games at this level but Leicester blew the roof off dreams in football – there’s no bold statement from me on that. Tonight was a different style of getting a result. It was an ugly game at times in harsh conditions.

“We found a way to win and a real fine goal. Sometimes that’s football. We’re not the real deal, we’re a side that are improving. We’ve got an aligned thinking here, there’s no superstars, no favourites from me.

“I believe in all of them. We’ve got a group of people – there’s a belief in everything we do here.”

When asked if his side could achieve a Europa League place, Dyche responded: “I think there’s enough people saying good things. I keep reality because this division will eat you alive. We’re having a real go at what we can achieve this season. I’m not being negative. I’m a realist, there’s a lot of challenges coming our way. The fans and the town have got to enjoy these times, why wouldn’t you?

“A lot of psychology goes into some of our planning. I want the players to know that they can grow here, develop as players and get results. We are moving forward each season.”

• Like 2

I'm always amazed at how big a club they are considering Burnley is less populated than Nuneaton and the catchment area is awful. The big Manchester and Liverpool clubs to the south, Blackburn and Accrington within walking distance to the west and Leeds, Bradford and Huddesrsfiled to the east. Further north it's greenery with the Yorkshire Dales, etc.

If the people of Leicestershire supported our club like the people of Burnley supports theirs we'd fill Wembley twice over every match. Good luck to Burnley as they're the epitome of a proper football club. 

They've done brilliant this season but from the evidence I've seen they won't last the pace. We had top class players like Vardy, Mahrez, Kante, Drinkwater and Schmeichel whereas Burnley look very well organised but workmanlike.  I can't see many of their players being coveted by the top teams so I'd expect Burnley to start performing like a mid to lower table team at some point but they also said that about us this time two years a go. :)

Edited by Gerard

2 hours ago, Koke said:

Are Palace any good? I can't make my mind up about them.

Not last night but they do seem to have an annoying habit of scoring late and somehow manage to get goals despite apart from Zaha having little threat up in attack.

It's a shame Hodgson subs weren't this effective when he was England manager!

I'd expect you on form to beat them at home though.

We did have someone sent off and about 3/4 players injured which does sum up our recent run of form.

1 minute ago, foxinsocks said:

this morning the bbc textext thing said burnley had beaten stoke... and that palace had beaten stoke.  You have to feel for stoke  if they are having to play two games a night!

No wonder Mark Hughes permanently has a face like a slapped arse. 

5 minutes ago, foxinsocks said:

this morning the bbc textext thing said burnley had beaten stoke... and that palace had beaten stoke.  You have to feel for stoke  if they are having to play two games a night!

Good the sooner stoke are relegated the better lollol

2 hours ago, foxfanazer said:

I’m not a massive fan of Burnley but the fume from one of the bigger clubs if Burnley take one of their top 4 spots would be hilarious.

Agreed. Particularly as their collective response to Leicester's title win was to SPEND EVEN MORE MONEY! £££££££££££££££££££

27 minutes ago, Arriba Los Zorros said:

You know, it isn't always vital to be argumentative and have the last word either.

Some people don't like Dyche and want Burnley to fail because of it. It's called an opinion. Live and let live, isn't that supposed to be your life mantra anyway?

You're becoming a million times worse than any of the posters that you try to censor on here, @HighPeakFox

Sorry, didn't realise that expressing my opinion wasn't allowed, or that I ever insist on having the final word. 

You're absolutely entitled to your opinion of me, but suggesting I try to censor anyone is very strong language and I politely ask you withdraw it. I don't believe I've ever tried to silence or ban anything or anyone, and your careless use of that word does you a disservice. 

There’s no bitterness from me towards Burnley- they’re a very well-run club and what they’re doing is incredible this season. I also don’t mind Dyche.

Long may it continue- unless we’re both going for the ‘best of the rest’ title in a few months.

The attitude from some of you is ridiculous- if that’s how you feel, I’m sure you didn’t mind when Spurs fans were calling us long ball merchants who had no chance of going the distance?

1 hour ago, davieG said:

Dyche: Leicester blew the roof off dreams in football

Date published: Tuesday 12th December 2017 10:41

GettyImages.891136510.jpg

Sean Dyche reckons the Premier League will “eat you alive” if you start dreaming after his Burnley side moved into the Champions League places with a 1-0 victory over Stoke.

The Potters had the best chances of the match but it was the Clarets who grabbed a late goal through Ashley Barnes to snatch all three points.

The victory means Dyche’s men move above Tottenham, Arsenal and Liverpool to enter the Champions League places in the Premier League table.

“It’s a run of results and a start which the fans are enjoying and rightly so,” Dyche told the BBC. “Football is about realities but also about dreams.

“It’s a tough task for us winning games at this level but Leicester blew the roof off dreams in football – there’s no bold statement from me on that. Tonight was a different style of getting a result. It was an ugly game at times in harsh conditions.

“We found a way to win and a real fine goal. Sometimes that’s football. We’re not the real deal, we’re a side that are improving. We’ve got an aligned thinking here, there’s no superstars, no favourites from me.

“I believe in all of them. We’ve got a group of people – there’s a belief in everything we do here.”

When asked if his side could achieve a Europa League place, Dyche responded: “I think there’s enough people saying good things. I keep reality because this division will eat you alive. We’re having a real go at what we can achieve this season. I’m not being negative. I’m a realist, there’s a lot of challenges coming our way. The fans and the town have got to enjoy these times, why wouldn’t you?

“A lot of psychology goes into some of our planning. I want the players to know that they can grow here, develop as players and get results. We are moving forward each season.”

Great sound bite. They should dare to dream just like we did! Big respect to Dyche because his team lost Michael Keane and Andre Gray and yet are more competitive this year than last.

And I personally think we still have a great chance of climbing the table too, we have beaten Spurs and Burnley in recent games after all!

11 hours ago, murphy said:

A lot of fans of other clubs were pleased for us when we won the league and we got a lot of messages of support.

Seems a bit mean spirited then for some of us to now begrudge Burnley when they're having the season of their lives.

I say good luck to them.

Top post....

1 hour ago, sylofox said:

Good the sooner stoke are relegated the better lollol

Dont agree,...I want the Midlands clubs to be the force...just imagine...the Pl in a couple of years

Leicester

Derby

Tottenham (Thrown in for fun bottlers)

Aston.Villa

Notts.county

Wolves

Burnley (Some foxes need a Dyche target)

Man.city (Falling off)

WBA

Peterborough

Northampton  

Coventry

N'forest ( not too high now!!)

Stoke

Birmingham

Soton (cos I like 'em)

Peterborough

Newcastle (good day out)

--------------------------------------------------

Arsenal (about time they went)

Chelsea (Oil cant save them)

Liverpool (death of the 'errrr)

Now that would save a few pennies and regular  hard travelling...

Edited by fuchsntf
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, HighPeakFox said:

Sorry, didn't realise that expressing my opinion wasn't allowed, or that I ever insist on having the final word. 

You're absolutely entitled to your opinion of me, but suggesting I try to censor anyone is very strong language and I politely ask you withdraw it. I don't believe I've ever tried to silence or ban anything or anyone, and your careless use of that word does you a disservice. 

Post deleted. But I warn you that's how your posts come across at times.

What makes Burnley being 4th all the more incredible is that the stats are incredible spartan. 16 goals in 17 games! Averaging less than 2 shots on target a game. 

The bottom line is though that they have got great consistency against the lower teams; what would normally be a few draws are wins. Add to that competing well in games against the big teams. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, nnfox said:

Burnley are 4th.  BURNLEY. 

Whilst I love the smaller teams mixing it with the establishment, I can't help but worry about what would happen to our coefficient if they actually qualified for the Champions League. 

This is a dark day for English football. 

Fvck off. People like you want a closed league where only the likes of Manchester City can get into the Champions League then?

• Like 1

I'd be very happy for Watford or Bournemouth if they were in 4th. Burnley and Dyche can bugger off. At least Howe is not a miserable whiny cvnt with a huge inferiority complex, and Watford are fun to watch. I don't have to like Burnley. I can acknowledge Dyche is doing brilliantly while simultaneously wanting him to fail. Dyche is a PL manager with a tinpot mentality. 

• Like 1