Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
UPinCarolina

Premier League, 2017-2018 Season Thread

2 minutes ago, gurru991 said:

Would he start every week at Man City ?

I would think so. If not every week then most weeks. He'd also be more likely to win something in fact probably this season win everything. Kompany can't stay fit and he's an upgrade on the other two.

We'll see. He was set on Liverpool so he might choose there but if I was him I wouldn't.

Edited by reynard
  • Like 1

Harry Kane up for SPOTY :crylaugh: please :rolleyes:

When he's won something maybe.

Saying that it has been a fairly poor year for British sport, nothing major really springs to mind so spose they had spaces to fill.

England Cricket team for team of the year anyone :unsure:

Edited by Matt

41 minutes ago, Matt said:

Harry Kane up for SPOTY :crylaugh: please :rolleyes:

When he's won something maybe.

Saying that it has been a fairly poor year for British sport, nothing major really springs to mind so spose they had spaces to fill.

England Cricket team for team of the year anyone :unsure:

Yeah proper shit year for British sport when 9 of the 12 nominees are world champions, in some cases multiple world champions.  One of the non world champions is Froome who won the two biggest cycle races so might as well be world champion (let's ignore the drug thing for now.)

Ok Kane and Konta didn't deserve nominations, but it's not been a shit year.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Facecloth said:

Yeah proper shit year for British sport when 9 of the 12 nominees are world champions, in some cases multiple world champions.  One of the non world champions is Froome who won the two biggest cycle races so might as well be world champion (let's ignore the drug thing for now.)

Ok Kane and Konta didn't deserve nominations, but it's not been a shit year.

Fair enough.

My point still remains that you've admitted that they had spaces to fill thus Kane inclusion.

Just now, Matt said:

Fair enough.

My point still remains that you've admitted that they had spaces to fill thus Kane inclusion.

No, they just chose the wrong person. There's a few para athletes like Hannah Cockcroft and Richard Whitehead who could have got the nod, but didn't for some reason.

1 minute ago, Facecloth said:

No, they just chose the wrong person. There's a few para athletes like Hannah Cockcroft and Richard Whitehead who could have got the nod, but didn't for some reason.

Because they're not the media's darlings.

Surprised Dele Alli hasn't been selected.

Might be controversial to say but Eddie Howe gets a total free pass because hes young and english.

He is not managing bournemouth well. Spending decent money, their style is ineffective, they dont score goals, a poor team selection and tactics today.

You almost feel he could get relegated twice and still be lauded for having them there in the first place and the failings glossed over.

Same with mark hughes.

Hes only now under scrutiny when hes been weakening stoke for 18 months to 2 years, and abusing a former opposition player off the field really is a new low.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Matt said:

Because they're not the media's darlings.

Surprised Dele Alli hasn't been selected.

But that hardly backs up your claim it's been a shit year and they filled a space with Kane, it just means some idiot made an error with the selection. And the media darling thing doesn't stand up, I mean Bianca Walkden, Jonathan Rea? Kane is just a bad choice and there's plenty of successful sports people could have been in his place, simple as that.

1 hour ago, reynard said:

I would think so. If not every week then most weeks. He'd also be more likely to win something in fact probably this season win everything. Kompany can't stay fit and he's an upgrade on the other two.

We'll see. He was set on Liverpool so he might choose there but if I was him I wouldn't.

I agree.. May as well grab a trophy right away

Harry Kane isnt THAT bad a nominee.... hes scoring at a phenomenal rate thats at world class levels.

He wont win the thing youd imagine but its not too unreasonable to receive recognition

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Donut said:

Harry Kane isnt THAT bad a nominee.... hes scoring at a phenomenal rate thats at world class levels.

He wont win the thing youd imagine but its not too unreasonable to receive recognition

I think you need to win something, or be part of a team that wins something imo to be nominated. Konta shouldn't have been nominated.

Obviously if it's been a particularly poor year you might get non winners, but we have world champions left off the list for Kane and Konta.

• Like 1

Just now, Facecloth said:

I think you need to win something, or be part of a team that wins something imo to be nominated. Konta shouldn't have been nominated.

Obviously if it's been a particularly poor year you might get non winners, but we have world champions left off the list for Kane and Konta.

Well to be fair again Konta has had a massive year with a great run at wimbledon and highly unexpected.

Its all subjective its impossible to say one sporting achievement is bigger than the other tbh.

Look at golfer tommy fleetwood for example. No one would vote for him yet over a season hes gone from barely keeping his tour card to european tour race to dubai winner. 

And trust me that is the mother of all dog eat dog sports

2 minutes ago, Donut said:

Well to be fair again Konta has had a massive year with a great run at wimbledon and highly unexpected.

Its all subjective its impossible to say one sporting achievement is bigger than the other tbh.

Look at golfer tommy fleetwood for example. No one would vote for him yet over a season hes gone from barely keeping his tour card to european tour race to dubai winner. 

And trust me that is the mother of all dog eat dog sports

I suppose, if you break a record for example then you should get the nod. I thought Vardy for example was nominated a year too late.

It's a fair point about Fleetwood too.

I just think Konta fell away badly late in the year and Kane hasn't broke a record or inspired his team to anything, which are kind of what a footballer needs to get on the list.

50 minutes ago, Donut said:

Might be controversial to say but Eddie Howe gets a total free pass because hes young and english.

He is not managing bournemouth well. Spending decent money, their style is ineffective, they dont score goals, a poor team selection and tactics today.

You almost feel he could get relegated twice and still be lauded for having them there in the first place and the failings glossed over.

Same with mark hughes.

Hes only now under scrutiny when hes been weakening stoke for 18 months to 2 years, and abusing a former opposition player off the field really is a new low.

He does get a pass but I can't agree that he's not managing Bournemouth well. He's finished higher in the league every year. He finished above us last year and he's with a "small" club who sell rather than buy. He's having a bad run at the moment but in the grand scheme of things he's managed Bournemouth excellently.

35 minutes ago, FIF said:

He does get a pass but I can't agree that he's not managing Bournemouth well. He's finished higher in the league every year. He finished above us last year and he's with a "small" club who sell rather than buy. He's having a bad run at the moment but in the grand scheme of things he's managed Bournemouth excellently.

Who have they sold of late? I honestly can't think of a Bournemouth player who's been snapped up by a bigger club in the last couple of seasons. Arter, King, Smith, Daniels, Wilson, Fraser have all impressed and all stayed. Yet they've spent large amounts on Ibe, Afobe, Ake, Begovic. They've sold deadwood like Grabben, but which team doesn't?

They're a buying club, and they spend a lot of money doing it. Not so little Bournemouth.

Edited by Facecloth

Just noticed that both Stoke and WBA are in danger of relegation. Next years Premier League midlands teams could be down to 2 (LCFC and Wolves)  -  Remember when Forest, Coventry, Derby, Villa, WestBrom, Stoke and Birmingham were in the picture!!!?! How times change!

2 hours ago, FIF said:

Ughhh I’m sorry mate I’m happy to listen to people back Eddie Howe because he never sets a team up to play for a draw but what you’ve written there is nonsense.

As the poster above has said they’ve spent a small fortune on some real dross and they’ve not sold anyone to a “bigger club” because there’s not really anyone a bigger club would buy. 

This is their 3rd Premier League season and they’ve once again spent healthily. He should and they should be between 8th and 12th no trouble.

Hes very one dimensional in my opinion, it’s great that he wants his team to play well but he could do with teaching them how to defend and have a back up plan too.

• Like 3

Phil Neville talking like a total bonehead on MOTD2.

teams HAVE to play defensively sometimes to try and get a result. Going toe to toe with a team with more technical ability than you is a pretty kamikaze strategy.

Open up youre probably likely just to lose by more. 

To illustrate the point he then said a positive example was blackpool.... who went down anyway.

So their happy go lucky approach achieved absolutely nothing.

Bournemouth picked 2 strikers and 2 wingers today and got absolutely slapped.

Youve got to be pragmatic sometimes and f**k the "entertainment"

4 hours ago, filbertway said:

Yawn. Give me 2 teams trying to play football any day of the week. Although playing a fairly attacking team and still not being to notch up one goal against that Liverpool defence is pretty embarrassing.

Picking such a stupidly open team with no cover in the full back or centre midfield is embarrasing.

Sure youll see plenty of goals.

In your net.

19 hours ago, norwichfox said:

He's 1/3 with some bookies in the sack race, can't stand the bloke myself but he's done well for Stoke generally (3 x 9th and 13th)

Agreed. He's actually a decent manager. He did well for Wales, Blackburn, Fulham and Stoke, and arguably for Man City when they first became part of the PL mega-rich.

He's had bad runs of form with Stoke before as well and managed to drag them out of it and finish relatively comfortably. I just wonder if this is one bad run too many for him. Their fans will see stagnation and lack of progress, and the threat that maybe this time Hughes can't fix their bad form and they end up going down.