Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
UPinCarolina

Premier League, 2017-2018 Season Thread

I spent the previous 2 seasons and even early this season playing down Harry Kane and trying to pick out his flaws rather than credit his abilities. All because of this dislike of spurs mentality. 

But, I can no longer deny that he is arguably the world's best forward. He may not have flourishing technique like Messi etc, but to score the amount of goals he does in the Premier league is unbelievable. 

Terrific player. He deserves to win trophies although I can't imagine it will ever be anything major with Spuds. 

5 minutes ago, The Doctor said:

No. The days of a striker being a good player if they score but offer nothing else, or are even a massive hinderance in buildup play are long gone. Kane is a good goalscorer, but his all round game leaves a lot to be desired. Obvious biases notwithstanding, I'd still have Vardy over Kane, because he offers so much more to a side.

As much as I love Vardy, Kane offers more as you can play Kane as a target man and his game doesn't depend as much on pace or pressing.

4 minutes ago, TheHitman™ said:

As much as I love Vardy, Kane offers more as you can play Kane as a target man and his game doesn't depend as much on pace or pressing.

True if Kane keeps himself well he could easily play until his mid 30’s, he will break the PL goals Irving record for sure... his goal per game is up there with the very best

6 minutes ago, TheHitman™ said:

Have you not watched us yet under Puel? Vardy is far from the one-dimension pace merchant that other fans seem to think. He's been an excellent focal point and also at bringing other players into the game. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, TheHitman™ said:

Vardy is so much more than  a pace merchant. He's a really really intelligent footballer. 

1 hour ago, The Doctor said:

He's a fantastic goalscorer unfortunately, but he's not a good player. Forget how many times Facecloth has pointed it out, but watch his decision making, namely when to take a shot and when to pass. If he were in blue the match threads on here would be going ballistic at him 90% of the time (tbf, they were when he was here actually). Our title-winning season stands out - we played Palace away, Vardy in a difficult position, head up and found Mahrez for another 1-0 win. Spurs playing the same weekend, Kane in the same position, head down, driven wide. That sort of thing was why they were always 5 or so points back even before the collapse, and he's not improved it since.

He scores quite a lot of goals though innit.

Guest Col city fan
5 minutes ago, Donut said:

Kane is top class. End of discussion.

No top quality side would choose vardy over kane.

Spot on. End of discussion for me.

Hasnt Kane just broken the record for the most goals scored before Christmas, in the top flight EVER?

Apologies if already mentioned.

26 minutes ago, Donut said:

Kane is top class. End of discussion.

No top quality side would choose vardy over kane.

Maybe not, for one he's got far more years left than Vardy, but ask yourself this - if we'd had him and spurs had had Vardy in 15/16, who would have won the title? Spurs, no doubt. He is too selfish to work in a truly successful team - bar finding a team genuinely good enough to accommodate a goal poacher, a tough ask in this day and age, he's going to have to massively improve his team game if he ever wants to win anything. 

29 minutes ago, The Doctor said:

Maybe not, for one he's got far more years left than Vardy, but ask yourself this - if we'd had him and spurs had had Vardy in 15/16, who would have won the title? Spurs, no doubt. He is too selfish to work in a truly successful team - bar finding a team genuinely good enough to accommodate a goal poacher, a tough ask in this day and age, he's going to have to massively improve his team game if he ever wants to win anything. 

Too selfish to work in a truly successful team? Were going to politely disagree on this one.

I could give you probably 5 things kane does far better than vardy and to label him as a poacher only is just incorrect in my opinion.

He shoots a lot (why wouldnt he??) But that doesnt mean he isnt a team player

4 hours ago, The Doctor said:

No. The days of a striker being a good player if they score but offer nothing else, or are even a massive hinderance in buildup play are long gone. Kane is a good goalscorer, but his all round game leaves a lot to be desired. Obvious biases notwithstanding, I'd still have Vardy over Kane, because he offers so much more to a side.

Kane's movement is better than Vardy's and also takes one chance to score. See today, we've lost 2-1 and Vardy missed a one on one. When Kane is running through on goal I expect him to, and he does, score.

I think Kane is greedy and shoots a lot but he is one of the best strikers of the PL era hence his unreal record. He's a proper striker and I like that.

Edited by Fox92
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Sir Shep said:

How can it be unbiased comentary on sky with a scouser summarising? Really does my head in. Sky might as well be just for cockneys, mancs and scousers. 

They'd always get Niall Quinn doing the Newcastle Sunderland matches. Bad enough having a ex Sunderland player and chairman summarising a Sunderland game but summarising the game against their biggest rival is ridiculous.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Sir Shep said:

How can it be unbiased comentary on sky with a scouser summarising? Really does my head in. Sky might as well be just for cockneys, mancs and scousers. 

and Carragher called it a one-touch finish by Alexander-Arnold despite him taking 2 touches lollol 

• Like 1