Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
UPinCarolina

Premier League, 2017-2018 Season Thread

12 minutes ago, Wymeswold fox said:

True, but they seem their own downfall in ambition - regularly selling to make profit but fail to build on the team/squad.

Obviously they do as they replace sold players with other good players and then sell them, year after year.

If I were Soton, I'd rather have £75m than Van Dijk.

33 minutes ago, Paddy. said:

There's no way Van Dijk is worth £75m. No way. He's a good player but wow. For £75m you should be getting one of the world's best CBs and Van Dijk is nowhere near imho.

Well done Southampton for another piece of incredible business.

They definitely need someone who can come in right away and defend well though.

Its ok having 75 million but as long as youre southampton you cant sign 75 million pound players.

Likewise, a centreback thats "properly" worth signing for 75 million is unsignable.

So liverpool cant get a real 75 million defender. The likes of Bonucci, chiellini, ramos, boateng, marquinhos, tiago silva.... theyre all unsignable.

2 hours ago, Donut said:

Gary Neville described Newcastle's tactics tonight as "embarrasing" at one point towards tonight.

Id like to think a man sacked at valencia and masterminding a woeful 7-0 defeat against an equivalent standard to man city barca side, and a man who was part of a coaching team that saw england lose to iceland in the euros would be less forthright in his judgement of Benitez and his approach to the game.

Setting up teams to lose 7-0 to teams who have won 17 in a row is very easy.

You have to agree that Neville knows embarrassing when he sees it.

He is a bit of an expert

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, Tuna said:

Van Dijk for 75 million is madness! 

Southampton must be bloody sick of Liverpool taking their players. How many now is it - Clyne, Lovren, Lallana, Lambert, Mane and now Van Dijk.

I don't know about that, Liverpool have spent over £150+million on Southampton players, and made a very good profit, so I don't think they'll be too annoyed 

15 hours ago, Ted Maul said:

Why wouldn't you leave if you were Kane and the opportunity to move to someone like Madrid or Man City arose? Not like Spurs players will look at Kyle Walker on 3x their salary, about to win plenty of silverware and generally regarded as the best RB in the league and think 'nah, I've got it better off- we're getting a new stadium and Poch is generally regarded as a decent coach'. 

Not as good as Simpson according to many on this forum. However I don't think he's the best RB in the league.

14 hours ago, Fox92 said:

Dunno why people are surprised. Clubs have being stupid fees for ages now. Kyle Walker went for £50mill.

Van Dijk is superb, not worth £75mill at all, but we’re getting closer to £100m in this league.

Van dijk looked poor to average against us and hasn't looked that great when I've seen him this season. Maybe he hasn't been trying but on this season's evidence he isn't going to change Liverpool into contenders. And £75m what a joke.

14 hours ago, pkonline said:

Harry Maguire looks a bargain at this rate!

Definitely. I'd rather have him than Van Dijk.

14 hours ago, Col city fan said:

I like Harry. But cmon...let's have some perspective. We currently have conceded the most goals from set pieces in the whole Premiership. Something isn't quite right is it. He's a major bargain of course.

What sort of reply is this? You infer that Harry isn't a bargain then critisize him then say he's a major bargain. Your posts are becoming more of a sit on the fence, "I said he was ..." joke than ever.

Set pieces are normally organised by the GK, first look there then at every other player on the pitch. Maguire is the best defender we have and is going to be another Steve Walsh.

44 minutes ago, FIF said:

Not as good as Simpson according to many on this forum. However I don't think he's the best RB in the league.

To be fair, I'd be tempted to say that Simpson is the best defensive RB in the league- not that there's much competition, with kamikaze attacking RBs being vogue at the moment.

Dragovic's fish out of water performance on Saturday just highlighted to me how much he has to cope with with Mahrez playing in front of him.

Guest Col city fan

Swansea have become the epitome of a really well run little club, to exactly the opposite, in just a few seasons.

They have a championship squad of players.

4 minutes ago, Col city fan said:

Swansea have become the epitome of a really well run little club, to exactly the opposite, in just a few seasons.

They have a championship squad of players.

And have an ex-owner (Jenkins) who has allegedly cashed in from player sales etc at both the clubs' and fans' expense.

It's risky having American business people on-board an English/Welsh football club as the both country business models in sport seem very different.

Edited by Wymeswold fox

5 hours ago, Super_horns said:
Just sacked for being 15th in the Championship.,

Not sure if he is the answer to Swansea's problems..

Yet if he'd been appointed six months ago the opinion would be slightly different, I reckon. I think they were going to struggle to attract a better manager, to be honest.

If Swansea are preparing for life in the championship, they probably should stuck with Clement. I understand why they didn't because it would have given off the impression that they've given up. Their biggest problem is their players just aren't good enough for this level.