Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
UPinCarolina

Premier League, 2017-2018 Season Thread

5 minutes ago, foxinsocks said:

Its time to probe referees

I said this after the Man Utd game.

Following Clattenburg's comments he's bought the game into disrepute, I questioned referee's decision's before, but I am even more critical and question them even more now.

The annoying thing? Clattenburg's comments were swept under the carpet, almost ignored, if Clatterburg made comments like that about a Man Utd, Man City, Arsenal, Chelsea (I know the game did involve Chelsea - but it didn't affect them - If it affected them the story would be much bigger and much more would have been made of it) game they'd still be being discussed now, they'd be brought up everytime something controverial happened.

I can't believe it didn't cause more shockwaves than it did, I can't believe there hasn't been an enquiry into the comments and enquiry into referees following it.

• Like 4

Agree with wenger, refs have gone professional for some time, but the standard hasn’t improved.

Not surprising when they let moss and the likes keep having shockers, and still employing them in the premier league.

I also think some of these refs have big egos and like the attention, and enjoy the controversy, I think it was Atkins that even Pearson commented on his arrogance, **** me must of been bad lol 

Two games today reffed very badly, and funny enough we have had really poor refs lately, and these was two of them, the fa need to do something more to improve the standard, by not flogging a dead horse with some of the current crop

4 minutes ago, Monsell1976 said:

Agree with wenger, refs have gone professional for some time, but the standard hasn’t improved.

Not surprising when they let moss and the likes keep having shockers, and still employing them in the premier league.

I also think some of these refs have big egos and like the attention, and enjoy the controversy, I think it was Atkins that even Pearson commented on his arrogance, **** me must of been bad lol 

Two games today reffed very badly, and funny enough we have had really poor refs lately, and these was two of them, the fa need to do something more to improve the standard, by not flogging a dead horse with some of the current crop

Mike Dean was cited by Pearson as ‘the most arrogant man I’ve ever met’ after he gave Spurs a soft penalty. Unsurprisingly the FA never punished Pearson and from what I’ve read there’s a major split within the PGMO anyway. 

47 minutes ago, Matt said:

I said this after the Man Utd game.

Following Clattenburg's comments he's bought the game into disrepute, I questioned referee's decision's before, but I am even more critical and question them even more now.

The annoying thing? Clattenburg's comments were swept under the carpet, almost ignored, if Clatterburg made comments like that about a Man Utd, Man City, Arsenal, Chelsea (I know the game did involve Chelsea - but it didn't affect them - If it affected them the story would be much bigger and much more would have been made of it) game they'd still be being discussed now, they'd be brought up everytime something controverial happened.

I can't believe it didn't cause more shockwaves than it did, I can't believe there hasn't been an enquiry into the comments and enquiry into referees following it.

The whole thing is a dogs breakfast ... the blazers don't realise its ruining their product

1 hour ago, katieakita said:

Mike Dean lol would be a true shocker if not given against the Arse, clearly 1 incident in 20 odd years Wenger actually could see

For once Wenger can feel hard done by but you are right...

Had that been for Arsenal or not given he would have not made any comment about it!

As for handballs - I think refs just guess on most occasions and hope the are right.

VAR can really help in that situation but you'd have to have a concrete ruling - not one that totally relies on the view of a ref on the day.

So many inconsistencies with regard to that.

As for Zaha - well he wins so many free kicks its little wonder he dives as he usually seems to get away with it!

42 minutes ago, Facecloth said:

Wenger has one of the longest period of time covering his 4 games over Christmas and he moaning about scheduling!

That was hilarious. The shortest gap that Arsenal have got is 65/66 hours between Thursday night and today. Several teams have a 46 hour gap between Saturday and tomorrow. 

All teams will have issues at this time of the season but for him to complain about the matches when their's are spread out over 12 days and many others have to play the same amount in nine is ridiculous.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

Mike Dean was cited by Pearson as ‘the most arrogant man I’ve ever met’ after he gave Spurs a soft penalty. Unsurprisingly the FA never punished Pearson and from what I’ve read there’s a major split within the PGMO anyway. 

That’s the one lol ?

15 minutes ago, Legend_in_blue said:

These days I'm struggling to come up with a name of a decent referee.

Atkinson?

Michael Oliver is excellent - like anybody he has his bad days but they're few and far between. I saw a CL game earlier this season where Atkinson (who is ok) was the ref and Oliver was one of the behind-the-goal types. The other behind-the-goal ref was Craig Pawson. Beggars belief that he's considered to be at the same level as Pawson and isn't refereeing elite level European games. Perhaps @DB11 can elaborate as to why that may be the case.

Not a coincidence that Oliver is in his early/mid-30s. The idea of having men in their mid-to-late 40s chasing around trying to keep up with finely tuned 20-year-old athletes is absolutely laughable, let alone asking them to process often complex situations whilst doing so.

This festive periods been a shambles tbh, id definitely call it overkill these days. I know we've got a world cup so we need to finish up earlier but December's just been mad. People love midweek games when it's occasional, so just throw them in in the first half of the season when international breaks suck the life out of the league programme, if there's a shortfall to make up.

I'd back a winter break in January. I think we should do normal weekly games as far as possible until Christmas, have max 3 games between say Dec 18th and new years, then break for a couple of weeks after the FA Cup 3rd round weekend, when everyone's skint and it's cold. Then come back at the end of January like the Bundesliga does.

Edited by ealingfox
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, Costock_Fox said:

Bad news for Jesus means we won’t see him again till Easter.

My Facebook book feed got a lot more likes if it’s any consolation. 

Probably not been so many “whoses” since stephen merchant stood in for an ill Roy chubby brown.

13 minutes ago, Manwell Pablo said:

My Facebook book feed got a lot more likes if it’s any consolation. 

Probably not been so many “whoses” since stephen merchant stood in for an ill Roy chubby brown.

Tough crowd, bastards.

13 hours ago, Super_horns said:

For once Wenger can feel hard done by but you are right...

Had that been for Arsenal or not given he would have not made any comment about it!

As for handballs - I think refs just guess on most occasions and hope the are right.

VAR can really help in that situation but you'd have to have a concrete ruling - not one that totally relies on the view of a ref on the day.

So many inconsistencies with regard to that.

As for Zaha - well he wins so many free kicks its little wonder he dives as he usually seems to get away with it!

Be careful what you wish for with VAR. Watch any A League game where it's being used it's a disgrace and has ruined the game.