Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
UPinCarolina

Premier League, 2017-2018 Season Thread

23 minutes ago, Tuna said:

Stoke have Man United away followed by Huddersfield and Watford at home and Bournemouth away then Brighton at home. Some very winnable fixtures there. Interesting to see if they stick or twist giving the new manager time to get ready for the so called easier fixtures or give Hughes the opportunity to turn it round in those games. 

I think they'll sack him after they've had a bit of a chat about where he sees the club heading. Stoke aren't a club who have been stripped of their best players in recent years, so this is a squad Hughes has built, and he has no excuse for the club going backwards. In the most part this is clearly his vision of a good side, and it really isn't one.

I'm torn again, I enjoy watching Mourinho squirm but Everton are a serious contender for the position I see us reaching (nuff respect Burnley but...). Not just about denying Everton points but also slowing down their momentum. So United it is then perhaps with a lifetime touchline ban for Moanrinho for calling big Sam a Hippo faced bung taker and little Sam "Porky Pig in a tracksuit".

With regards to video refs, it needs to be instant like in rugby and cricket.

That's my biggest worry that the ref will want too much influence and will take time to see the videos himself.

If something goes upstairs to the video ref, they inform the ref of the decision and that is given. We move on. There needs to be that trust between the officials

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, TK95 said:

That's my biggest worry that the ref will want too much influence and will take time to see the videos himself.

If something goes upstairs to the video ref, they inform the ref of the decision and that is given. We move on. There needs to be that trust between the officials

Like in the Confederations Cup

when they went to the side of the pitch and watched a screen with players and managers crowding around?

29 minutes ago, TK95 said:

Palace and Watford alone, we'd have been 6 points better off :unsure:

We finally got a win today, albeit Huddersfield (no disrespect because it could have been a dodgy game and I thought it was going to be based on the 1st half as shown by the way we treated the Palace and Watford games) and I wanna draw line through the Palace and Watford games now, but it is mightly frustrating looking at those games very good opportunities thrown away.

To try and put a positive spin on it whilst being negative I suppose atleast we deserved fuck all from those games, it's not as if we were shafted and missed out on 6 points, we shafted ourselves!

Edited by Matt

1 hour ago, Super_horns said:

Like in the Confederations Cup

when they went to the side of the pitch and watched a screen with players and managers crowding around?

Yeah exactly that. And from what I recall, the ref got it wrong too lol , where he should have red carded one of the Chile players but only showed a yellow!

There should be no need for the ref to have to do that though. The video ref should tell him in his earpiece and that's that.

Really thought Berahino would do alright (in terms of scoring) at Stoke, but he's on an embarrassing barren run.

He's still only 24 but, at the moment, it certainly looks like he's wasting his potential at Stoke (who aren't really a club known for getting the best out of initially good talented players..).

They're really an unambitious club, too, giving a new contract to the ageing Crouch and Stephen Ireland who very rarely plays..:blink:

Edited by Wymeswold fox

20 minutes ago, Wymeswold fox said:

Really thought Berahino would do alright (in terms of scoring) at Stoke, but he's on an embarrassing barren run.

He's still only 24 but, at the moment, it certainly looks like he's wasting his potential at Stoke (who aren't really a club known for getting the best out of initially good talented players..).

They're really an unambitious club, too, giving a new contract to the ageing Crouch and Stephen Ireland who very rarely plays..:blink:

Signed an aging Darren Fletcher on a 2 year deal as well. 

They have an aging squad tbat needs a lot of trimming down. Hughes has made a shambles of Stoke.

Edited by Koke
  • Like 2

Anyone who thinks video referee decisions are instant in rugby doesn't watch much rugby. It's a really big issue in the game right now as too many decisions are being referred and the decisions often take a ridiculously long time. If the football authorities have any sense they'll be looking at the problems in rugby and working on solutions.

4 hours ago, TK95 said:

Or just stick the video on the big screens so everyone can see what the video ref is looking at. But, I think it needs to be something like 3 challenges  of a decision per side per game

Edited by yorkie1999

49 minutes ago, jammie82uk said:

West Brom asked to postpone West Ham trip because of fixture pile-up

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/42537385

Yet they have 246 hours between games in total and LCFC has 213.

By the way, excluding the most massive club in the world (West Ham) - ManCity, Chelsea, Arsenal and Spuds have more time between fixtures than any other club... what a coincidence.

Edited by RussianFox

2 hours ago, Paddy. said:

Anyone who thinks video referee decisions are instant in rugby doesn't watch much rugby. It's a really big issue in the game right now as too many decisions are being referred and the decisions often take a ridiculously long time. If the football authorities have any sense they'll be looking at the problems in rugby and working on solutions.

Rugby iy my game, but your right, too many referred avg descisions, taking too long

48 minutes ago, RussianFox said:

By the way, excluding the most massive club in the world (West Ham) - ManCity, Chelsea, Arsenal and Spuds have more time between fixtures than any other club... what a coincidence.

Man City have the same as Watfor, Palace, Swansea, West Brom and Southampton though.  The rest, yeah, they have a much lighter sentence but if there was truly a conspiracy they surely wouldn't shaft Man Utd.

1 hour ago, RussianFox said:

A solution to this fixture pile up problem for me would simply be to take the game between boxing day and new years eve/day/jan 2nd and play this in the first mid week of the season.

This would allow teams to properly prepare for the league cup if in it, and not burn players out ahead of the fa cup where teams then rest players (and consequently moan the cups are becoming worthless).

You could also potentially get rid of boxing day or new years day if needed date dependent (rest wise) and move a game to the last mid week of the season.

Just fairer for all to have adequate rest.